Series Discussion: ECQF: Capitals vs. Leafs pt2 (Caps Win 4-2) (Leafs fans READ POST #1)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Carrick has to play with an edge to be effective. You know, to make up for being a bottom pair guy. He vanished after what I thought was a risky but effective play vs Willy. Right after Ovi got injured, he challenged Tom who everyone knew was out for blood with a little spear to the heart.

Tom got the Tom phantom call, and soon right after IIRC, TO scored.

I do think TO cut his ice time re: vanishing. Toronto needed an edge in the series, but using a punk like him to his strengths to draw a retaliation penalty was not really tried by Babcock.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I still can't tell if I'm more relieved or excited. Luckily? expectations are different this round.

Just wondering how do people do this for 4 rounds. I'm going to needs lots more beer.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Luckily, beer's not just for breakfast anymore.

Buy beer stock, rollover your 401K into a fund that bets all in on Pitt to hedge, and schedule 4 visits to the doctor.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Contemplating betting $100 on the Pens. Best case scenario, I lose my bet but we move on to the semis. Worst case scenario, I make some $ to spend on booze and drink my sorrow away.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Contemplating betting $100 on the Pens. Best case scenario, I lose my bet but we move on to the semis. Worst case scenario, I make some $ to spend on booze and drink my sorrow away.

Exactly

If we play our cards right, we can all but pay for all our need therapy, should an unfortunate event happen. If you are on this board, hockey > money ;)

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Congratulations, Caps fans. No shame in losing to a better team. I believe our time is coming....just not yet.

Was in Niagara Falls for the weekend, and a bunch of us were out watching Game 5. There was a Caps fan wearing an OV jersey with his wife and son, who was also in an OV jersey. Lots of fun banter during the night, and the guy and his son ended up coming over and having a beer with us after Williams' winner (not the son, he was about 7 LOL). He was from Baltimore, and a diehard fan. Guy knew his ****. Anyway, makes you realize that it's the playoffs and emotions can get high, but at the end of the day, it's game. Really enjoyed hanging out with him for a bit, and talking hockey. His wife ended up taking a picture of all of us together in a big group hug. Great night in the middle of a great series.

Wishing you guys nothing but the best. I think this series was a real gut check for the Caps, with the pressure on them against the #8 seed. All the best against the Pens. I have a hunch this could be an extremely special spring for your fanbase.

Good luck!

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Even when Johansson scores two goals to clinch a series, it's Williams who gets the credit from the fanbase for being clutch. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
for me this shows how huge williams is to this team. his influence on the whole team and mojo is unreal. i'm pretty sure it's a mind game from stick to get mojo going.

In the 5 OT we played, I thought we outplayed the Leafs in 2 out of 5 (game 5 and 6). They only outplayed us in game 3, game 1 and 2 were even. We didn't appear to be nervous at any point of these OT games. If anything, the Williams OT winner in game 5 gave us confidence in OT for game 6, because it was complete domination until Johansson's goal.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
In the 5 OT we played, I thought we outplayed the Leafs in 2 out of 5 (game 5 and 6). They only outplayed us in game 3, game 1 and 2 were even. We didn't appear to be nervous at any point of these OT games. If anything, the Williams OT winner in game 5 gave us confidence in OT for game 6, because it was complete domination until Johansson's goal.

We were on PK during the whole OT.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So, who put Red Bull into Jojo's corn flakes? Probably Justin.

Early running for the elusive John Druce Award: Willy MJ and Justin.

We need Ovi, someone to step up the plate offensively, dominate a few games.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

What do games 5 and 6 have in common? We played Caps hockey instead of open ice hockey like the leafs wanted.. the score reflects that as well. Total dominance instead of exchanging chances for a 5-4 type of hockey game, also cut way back on the lucky bounces they were getting.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Save %s went up in G5&6. How much of that was Barry putting his foot on the neck of the opponent? Of course, when and if he does that, he also suffocates his own offense.

We cannot score at ES every damn playoffs and I support him testing the high scoring waters, and leaning on Holts, if he is in a groove.

Game 6 though, the leafs had 38 shots. So we didn't totally clamp down, like in game 5 where the leafs only had 25. Game 6 was thus more a goaltending duel / stolen game.

I don't think he really cut back on our own scoring, to play D. I think he told our players to be more aware position-ally, don't get caught deep on both ends. That shouldn't ice our offense. What ices our offense, is no PPs, and our D not given the Mike Green light to jump into the O.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Save %s went up in G5&6. How much of that was Barry putting his foot on the neck of the opponent? Of course, when and if he does that, he also suffocates his own offense.

We cannot score at ES every damn playoffs and I support him testing the high scoring waters, and leaning on Holts, if he is in a groove.

Game 6 though, the leafs had 38 shots. So we didn't totally clamp down, like in game 5 where the leafs only had 25. Game 6 was thus more a goaltending duel / stolen game.

I don't think he really cut back on our own scoring, to play D. I think he told our players to be more aware position-ally, don't get caught deep on both ends. That shouldn't ice our offense. What ices our offense, is no PPs, and our D not given the Mike Green light to jump into the O.

They got back to focusing on team defense and protecting Holtby while also avoiding screening him. Before that they were just chasing the puck around and that led to chaos, which often levels the playing field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->