Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 20.0%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 29.0%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 266 17.3%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 21 1.4%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.5%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.2%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 177 11.5%

• Total voters

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Since the last playoff series between these two teams, the Leafs core, specifically Matthews, have taken massive strides. He went from a good 1st line centre to an elite one.

Boston has also been depleted. The loss of Bergeron is massive.

All that said...Bruins will probably beat us in 7, as is tradition

Yeah the teams are completely different from their last matchups. Leafs just have the core 4 + Rielly left. Bruins not that much more.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's NHL playoffs. Players play through broken bones, torn spleens and ruptured lungs to capture the ultimate prize.

Willy woke up feeling a little sore and will miss game 1 of the playoffs.
? It's not confirmed he's out game 1

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Heavy PK d usually still end up with 20 minutes without powerplay minutes . So i guess he's not a primary PK defenseman either ?
He has cracked the 20 minute mark once in the 19 games he has played for us.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Probably my most anticipated series other than Winnipeg. Matthews marner and nylander need to be dominant. It's about time they got a deep run with these guys.
Florida TB, is the series most interesting to me, but the Winnipeg one is up there as well.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Tavares-Marner line ideally, though if Nylander isn’t going the forward lines may go in the blender. On defense McCabe-Benoit probably but they’re not strict on defensive pair matchups.

Soft match up for Pastrnak, but this is where the test will be if Heinen can continue to be adequate enough as a top 6 winger.

freddi22cl

Apr 20, 2024
I mean the Leafs could make a better 1st pair with Rielly-McCabe if they wanted to, they spread out their best defensemen. It should definitely be improved but just looking at the “1st pair” exaggerates the issue.
NO one wins a Cup with average defense and average goaltending

NO ONE

there is a reason the Leafs keep failing. This summer is the time to change course

McCabe is a 1st pairing dee? lol . He wouldnt crack the Vegas lineup

(note: Vegas cruised a yr ago with an average goalie. Their dee smashed those 'tough guys' in Florida )

• Haha
Reactions: TheDoldrums

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He has cracked the 20 minute mark once in the 19 games he has played for us.

Ok then. Still lookings at the Leafs defensive pairings doesn't exactly fill me confidence. Pair that with the up and down goaltending and Leafs may have to score ALOT of goals.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

NO ONE

there is a reason the Leafs keep failing. This summer is the time to change course

(note: Vegas cruised a yr ago with an average goalie. Their dee smashed those 'tough guys' in Florida )

Pittsburgh won with a Letangless D and a rookie Murray

Reactions: GoldenKnight

freddi22cl

Apr 20, 2024
Since the last playoff series between these two teams, the Leafs core, specifically Matthews, have taken massive strides. He went from a good 1st line centre to an elite one.

Boston has also been depleted. The loss of Bergeron is massive.

All that said...Bruins will probably beat us in 7, as is tradition
they are way better coached

Bruins coaching staff have squeezed max results from that lineup. Its incredible

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Ok then. Still lookings at the Leafs defensive pairings doesn't exactly fill me confidence. Pair that with the up and down goaltending and Leafs may have to score ALOT of goals.
I mean that's been their defence pretty much all year. Giordano and Brodie have been absolute dog shit, their best days are long gone. The D pairs are fine, they aren't elite but they're fine. My concern is Lily, he's still skinny and a bit soft. I imagine they're going to dump it in his corner all game long and lay the body on him. Maybe a couple big turnovers from hits or shying from contact, that should be the game plan for Boston when he's on the ice.

freddi22cl

Apr 20, 2024
Pittsburgh won with a Letangless D and a rookie Murray
Murray was solid. Not a flopping clown like Samsonov, loses his posts so easily

they had a organized dee, and a commitment to team defense ...kinda helps when u got a leader like Sid...:)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

NO ONE

If Bob played the rest of the playoffs like he did the last round, most everyone would have cruised past Florida.

freddi22cl

Apr 20, 2024
If Bob played the rest of the playoffs like he did the last round, most everyone would have cruised past Florida.
disagree

it was like the ice was tilted. The 6 dee should have collectively won MVP

Vegas won every series in 5 except the Edm series, .....EDM hung on for 6 lol

reinhart, bennet and goofball Tkachuk met their match......could have won in 4 haha

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean that's been their defence pretty much all year. Giordano and Brodie have been absolute dog shit, their best days are long gone. The D pairs are fine, they aren't elite but they're fine. My concern is Lily, he's still skinny and a bit soft. I imagine they're going to dump it in his corner all game long and lay the body on him. Maybe a couple big turnovers from hits or shying from contact, that should be the game plan for Boston when he's on the ice.

2nd most goals against of any playoff teams ( only Tampa slightly worse ) and also a bottom 10 team on the PK. I think thats an issue the forward core has to outscore for the Leafs to win.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
That Pittsburgh roster was committed to team defense.

Murray was solid. Not a flopping clown like Samsonov, loses his posts so easily

they had a organized dee, and a commitment to team defense ...kinda helps when u got a leader like Sid...:)

The post was no one wins with average goaltending and D. No matter the reasons, Pittsburgh won with average goaltending and below average D.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Too bad the Hulk isn’t blue. That’s the only thing that would make this any better.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

8i04mf.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 93gilmour93

freddi22cl

Apr 20, 2024
The post was no one wins with average goaltending and D. No matter the reasons, Pittsburgh won with average goaltending and below average D.
id take their dee over ours in a heartbeat. they werent below average. and murray wasnt average

(and on a side ...of course they had Sid...we got Mathews, lol )

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
2nd most goals against of any playoff teams ( only Tampa slightly worse ) and also a bottom 10 team on the PK. I think thats an issue the forward core has to outscore for the Leafs to win.
A lot of those stats are due to Samsonov shitting the bed the first half of the season, stats look a lot different since he was called up, I'm not worried about the blue line, just Lily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad