Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
But Nylander isn’t on the Bruins, which you established long ago that these teams are constructed wildly different.

The point was though Boston was at a significant advantage with Nylander out.

It seems he's likely back next game though.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Probably McAvoy or Swayman, honestly. Both who I hold as much more important than Nylander.

Just because Nylander is the Leafs second best player doesn’t mean that it’s the equivalent to losing McAvoy or Pastrnak.
Well, goalie is the most important position on the ice. You're going nowhere without a hot goalie in the playoffs. Bob last year carried Florida, Vas with Tampa the years they won it, etc

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The point was though Boston was at a significant advantage with Nylander out.

It seems he's likely back next game though.
It is better for Boston if Nylander is out. Yes. I hope he never plays another game this season. If he does, I hope Boston beats the shit out of him.

I also wouldn’t hate Toronto missing a few defensemen while we are at it. Anybody you wanna lose for a few games I’m ok with it

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Nylander is the second best player on the Leafs, sure.

I don’t think it’s the same as the Bruins losing McAvoy or Pastrnak, like at all.
But he’s not saying Nylander is better than Pasta, even if that’s how it was perceived. He is saying how the loss of the player would impact the roster.

I think we both agree Matthews and Pasta are the best players on their respective teams, so those losses would be about equal. It’s not about who the better player is. It’s about the impact to the roster.

Nylander has probably been the second best Leaf, so a comparable loss would probably be McAvoy (taking positions out of the conversation).

Here’s a hypothetical. Imagine if both Matthews and Nylander were out of the Leaf lineup. A similar loss to the B’s would be Pasta and McAvoy (or vice versa).

I think it was just worded the wrong way.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
But he’s not saying Nylander is better than Pasta, even if that’s how it was perceived. He is saying how the loss of the player would impact the roster.

I think we both agree Matthews and Pasta are the best players on their respective teams, so those losses would be about equal. It’s not about who the better player is. It’s about the impact to the roster.

Nylander has probably been the second best Leaf, so a comparable loss would probably be McAvoy (taking positions out of the conversation).

Here’s a hypothetical. Imagine if both Matthews and Nylander were out of the Leaf lineup. A similar loss to the B’s would be Pasta and McAvoy (or vice versa).

It’s all worded the wrong way imo. These teams are so different top to bottom that trying to play tit for tat with the top end players doesn’t line up at all. Skill doesn’t equal importance. The “second best player” on Toronto doesn’t hold the same weight as the second best in Boston. Just like the fifth best doesn’t. None of the comparisons are fair

Just say it sucks losing Nylander. I agree

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I get it and I understand, I just feel that Nylanders loss for the Leafs is much less impactful than Pastrnaks or McAvoy.

That’s all I’m getting at.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

Its absolutely nothing like that. McAvoy is playing 30 of the toughest minutes every game. It would be like Leafs losing Rielly and another D. Marchand is the leading scorer in the playoffs and brings other strengths that Nylander doesnt have. It was a stupid comparison

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
It’s all worded the wrong way imo. These teams are so different top to bottom that trying to play tit for tat with the top end players doesn’t line up at all. Skill doesn’t equal importance. The “second best player” on Toronto doesn’t hold the same weight as the second best in Boston. Just like the fifth best doesn’t. None of the comparisons are fair

Just say it sucks losing Nylander. I agree
That’s fair.

We are desperate to score. Willie would probably help that way. Nothing more, nothing less. the way Sway is playing, Gretzky might not even help us right now.

That said, McAvoy is a stud.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
That’s fair.

We are desperate to score. Willie would probably help that way. Nothing more, nothing less. the way Sway is playing, Gretzky might not even help us right now.

That said, McAvoy is a stud.
I can meet you here for sure

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
What I’m saying is losing a guy like Pastrnak is absolutely detrimental to the entire Bruins forward group. He outscored the next closest Bruin by like 40-50 points, which is actually insane. He had a revolving door or 3rd line guys (arguably) as his linemates, too.

With Toronto you lose a fantastic player who isn’t the top scorer on his team, and is neck in neck with another top forward they have in Mitch Marner. Who would probably have the same amount of points, or more than Nylander if he played a full 82 game season.

You lose Nylander, you still have two forwards well over a point per game. The Bruins lose Pastrnak and, well, yeah, it’s not close.

Does losing Nylander suck? Absolutely. It does. I’m not denying that.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Nylander has 2 goals and 5 helpers in his last 14 games....

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
And out in the real world here in Leafs land...........

This is coming from a young co-worker who has made me face palm so much by how he goes on about the Leafs and how overly confident he is.

Leafs lose the next game and it's over. And it's probably already over.

I mean you never know right? But I thought this series basically looked like Bruins winning after the first period of game 1.

Not even trying to do a reverse jinx here. Changes are needed yet again with the Leafs. Re-tool I guess this time.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
Its absolutely nothing like that. McAvoy is playing 30 of the toughest minutes every game. It would be like Leafs losing Rielly and another D. Marchand is the leading scorer in the playoffs and brings other strengths that Nylander doesnt have. It was a stupid comparison
But Matthews scored 22 more goals than Pasta, and Nylander only had seven less.

Does that make Matthews/Pasta a “stupid comparison”? Of course not.

Did you see what I did there?

Last edited:

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
- the Marchand empty netter to put the game away after Marchand bodied him off the puck, leaving Bertuzzi to float around after the goal barking at the ref
Bertuzzi should have been pissed at Domi, Matthews and Marner vacating the leafs zone while Marchand went in hard with the forecheck.
He had absolutely no one to dish the puck off to cuz they were all standing by the Bruins Blueline.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The problem here is that a guy who had 15G is a “major blow” to you team.
That’s some serious depth issues if Bobby McMann being out hurts you that badly
You're underrating McMann by referring to him as just a 15-goal scorer, it doesn't accurately reflect how his season has gone

For the first few months of the season, he was used primarily on the 4th line and averaged around 9 minutes a game playing with Kampf/Gregor. You're not going to score in a role like that no matter how good you are

The change came on Jan 13 when he moved up in the lineup due to a couple of key leafs forwards out due to illness. He was originally supposed to be scratched this game but ended up playing and scoring a hat trick. Since then his year turned around completely, scoring 13 goals in his final 29 games (37 goal pace). On top of this, his linemates changed, with his most common being John Tavares in a top-6 role

He's also reliable defensively and allowed us to move Knies down the lineup. Knies has been struggling in a top 6 role and putting him against weaker competition allowed him to play the best hockey of his career. With McMann's injury, he's forced back into a role he isn't the best in

Also, I didn't say McMann on his own is a major blow, it's him + Nylander. For some reason, you keep repeating a line without reading what I actually wrote

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
Nylander has 2 goals and 5 helpers in his last 14 games....
Cool. Now do the other 68.

He also had 10 P in 11 GP last playoffs.

Missing Nylander doesn’t mean the Leafs would be winning. It’s not an excuse. But it’s a big loss.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
Bertuzzi should have been pissed at Domi, Matthews and Marner vacating the leafs zone while Marchand went in hard with the forecheck.
He had absolutely no one to dish the puck off to cuz they were all standing by the Bruins Blueline.
In fairness, they had to sell the farm in those final seconds. Shorthanded and with the goalie out in the final minute. They were pretty much screwed when JT took the penalty. They had to take chances and time wasn’t on their side. They didn’t have the extra player.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Leafs have the core 4 forwards and then Bertuzzi, Knies and Domi on top of that. They should be able to lesson the impact of losing a top flight forward better than most teams, but Tavares and Marner are not doing their part.

It’s about team construction. For instance, Rielly and Lindholm are actually similar value players, but Toronto would be a lot more screwed than Boston if those guys were out.

It’s hard to make a direct comparison because the Bruins aren’t overloaded at forward or D like Toronto is at forward. They are overloaded at goalies but that’s not a fair comparison to make for Toronto since the Bruins really wouldn’t miss much of a beat if either goalie was out.

The probable best comparison, but also still bad, is if Boston was without Lindholm (but Forbort or Peeke was healthy). Boston isn’t as strong on D as Toronto is at F, but it’s a more honest comparison.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I dunno. I think losing Peeke was a pretty big blow to the Bruins & he’s a third pairing D.

If McCann is playing on the third line, you more than likely gotta bump someone up to fill his roll and play someone where they shouldn’t be.

Same with Lauko on the third line to start the playoffs. Dude should be 4th line or pressbox imo. Third line player he’s not.
He actually wasn't even on the third line, he was playing on the 2nd line with JT before the injury. Tavares' best hockey of the season came beside McMann since they both cycle the puck very effectively.

That poster is just showing he knows little about the Leafs by attempting to minimize McMann. We know he's not a superstar, but he's an important support piece and his loss is being felt, especially with Nylander out.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The Leafs have the core 4 forwards and then Bertuzzi, Knies and Domi on top of that. They should be able to lesson the impact of losing a top flight forward better than most teams, but Tavares and Marner are not doing their part.

It’s about team construction. For instance, Rielly and Lindholm are actually similar value players, but Toronto would be a lot more screwed than Boston if those guys were out.

It’s hard to make a direct comparison because the Bruins aren’t overloaded at forward or D like Toronto is at forward. They are overloaded at goalies but that’s not a fair comparison to make for Toronto since the Bruins really wouldn’t miss much of a beat if either goalie was out.

The probable best comparison, but also still bad, is if Boston was without Lindholm (but Forbort or Peeke was healthy). Boston isn’t as strong on D as Toronto is at F, but it’s a more honest comparison.
Unfortunately, Tavares/Marner not doing their part in the playoffs is commonplace, so Nylander becomes even more important during this time

It is tough to make a comparison between both teams due to roster construction as you said. Lindholm is likely the most accurate you can get, except he would have to be better (essentially last year's version of Lindholm on this year's Bruins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad