Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
You're right, the Panthers are better and the Bruins are worse.
Arguable. There's also a ton of intangibles when it comes to playoff hockey, the 2023 Panthers were coming into the playoffs red hot from trying to grab the final playoff spot. They were already playing playoff hockey for a week fighting for their lives and rode that momentum. The Bruins top 2 players were also playing injured. Pasta ripped up his shoulder in game one on the first shift of the game, Bergeron was wounded in the last regular season game. At the end of the day, the series was decided by 1 goal. The Bruins beat the Panthers 3 times. The Leafs and Bolts combined for 1 win against them. We all lost to them. It is what it is. There are a lot of moving parts for all teams in any series. It isn't so cut and dry.

This year, the Leafs were a better offensive team in the regular season than the Bruins, but their PP% in the playoffs is abysmal. The Bruins depth at center took a hit, but they got better defensively and have a solid goaltending tandem to compensate for it. Either way I still expect at least a 6 game series. Neither team will have an easy time with the other

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
"Time to leave Marchand alone,just play it straight up.If there is a chance to hit him,then do so,but dont go out of your way"
"TSN Overdrive"
Well, someone up there has the right thinking. I mean how long is the Leafs going to keep two players on his back and forget about the rest of the game? It might be hard though, Keefe seems obsessed with Marchand and the refs.

Reactions: LeafAttack

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Arguable. There's also a ton of intangibles when it comes to playoff hockey, the 2023 Panthers were coming into the playoffs red hot from trying to grab the final playoff spot. They were already playing playoff hockey for a week fighting for their lives and rode that momentum. The Bruins top 2 players were also playing injured. Pasta ripped up his shoulder in game one on the first shift of the game, Bergeron was wounded in the last regular season game. At the end of the day, the series was decided by 1 goal. The Bruins beat the Panthers 3 times. The Leafs and Bolts combined for 1 win against them. We all lost to them. It is what it is. There are a lot of moving parts for all teams in any series. It isn't so cut and dry.

This year, the Leafs were a better offensive team in the regular season than the Bruins, but their PP% in the playoffs is abysmal. The Bruins depth at center took a hit, but they got better defensively and have a solid goaltending tandem to compensate for it. Either way I still expect at least a 6 game series. Neither team will have an easy time with the other

The Panthers entered the postseason on a 2 game losing streak, 6-4 in their last 10.

They stumbled into the postseason, they made it because the Penguins couldn't beat the two worst teams in the league.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Are the Bruins inferior to the Flames, Seattle & Minnesota?

Clearly, they went 0-3-3 against them this Season.
No they are not, but a team that loses 4 games to the same team in the same season clearly had some struggle’s competing with that team. They didn’t win a single game, it wasn’t a split or 3-1 it was 4-0 , that is not an outlier, it’s a trend.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It isn't a magical switch, if you can't tell that the intensity increases ten fold when the playoffs hit, you aren't paying attention.

Florida looks like a vastly superior team to Boston and Toronto right now, point blank.
They don't just look it. They are.
Panthers beat both of them last season and are better this season.
Bruins declined from last season. As have Leafs who lost Orielly and Schenn from their squad who were steam rolled by Panthers a year ago.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Panthers entered the postseason on a 2 game losing streak, 6-4 in their last 10.

They stumbled into the postseason, they made it because the Penguins couldn't beat the two worst teams in the league.

End of reg season game don't mean a thing.
Leafs lost their last 4 games and gave up 22 goals doing it.

Panthers went 6-4 down the stretch.

Bruins lost to caps and sens .

Panthers are built for play offs. Will win the Atlantic hands down

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I dunno how many of you have suffered with migraines, but it can be awful. Mine are rare and are usually 12-24 hours of hell followed by sensitivity that can bring it back for a few days. I'm lucky it's rare and short, but for folks that get them all the time it's a really rough existence.
They really are awful. I had a neck injury which lead to migraines. The migraines were so bad I literally couldn't see. I do not wish migraines on anyone.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
No they are not, but a team that loses 4 games to the same team in the same season clearly had some struggle’s competing with that team. They didn’t win a single game, it wasn’t a split or 3-1 it was 4-0 , that is not an outlier, it’s a trend.

I get it, you put a tremendous amount of stock into one goal games/3 on 3 OT wins in the regular season, I don't.

I bet on the superior team, there's a reason why the market has placed Florida as the significantly superior team, it's because they and sharp bettors place more stock into which team is superior, not who won head to head in an October regular season game.

Hell, we just watched Vegas struggle tremendously all season long against Dallas last year(they went 0-3) it didn't make much difference when the puck dropped in the Western Conference finals.

You're free to place significant wagers in the second round on the Bruins at large + money based on their regular season games, I will not be, I'll be happily laying the juice on the other side.

The Panthers are built for when it counts, I don't believe the Bruins have the centre depth to beat them in a 7 game win or go home series.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
I get it, you put a tremendous amount of stock into one goal games/3 on 3 OT wins in the regular season, I don't.

I bet on the superior team, there's a reason why the market has placed Florida as the significantly superior team, it's because they and sharp bettors place more stock into which team is superior, not who won head to head in an October regular season game.

Hell, we just watched Vegas struggle tremendously all season long against Dallas last year(they went 0-3) it didn't make much difference when the puck dropped in the Western Conference finals.

You're free to place significant wagers in the second round on the Bruins at large + money based on their regular season games, I will not be, I'll be happily laying the juice on the other side.

If the cats get to the second round I will.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well, someone up there has the right thinking. I mean how long is the Leafs going to keep two players on his back and forget about the rest of the game? It might be hard though, Keefe seems obsessed with Marchand and the refs.
Trams have done that before too. It's a reasonable idea. But he can and will burn you either way.
In his rookie season he score 5 goals in the Stanley Cup final. 2 goals in game 7 Cup win.
Just last last season he had 10 points in the first round.
Now he leads this series in points. ha!
The little ball of hate can't be stopped.

If the cats get to the second round I will.
The cats will be in rhe second round. And they will beat who ever they play.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Trams have done that before too. It's a reasonable idea. But he can and will burn you either way.
In his rookie season he score 5 goals in the Stanley Cup final. 2 goals in game 7 Cup win.
Just last last season he had 10 points in the first round.
Now he leads this series in points. ha!
The little ball of hate can't be stopped.

The cats will be in rhe second round. And they will beat who ever they play.
They should just give them a free pass to cup finals I guess.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
They really are awful. I had a neck injury which lead to migraines. The migraines were so bad I literally couldn't see. I do not wish migraines on anyone.
An old girlfriend of mine used to get them. They came in "clusters" She would have to lay in a dark room for hours to get till they subsided.

They should just give them a free pass to cup finals I guess.
waaaa.
What predictions are banned in your world?
and I didn't even mention winning the third round

Last edited:

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
An old girlfriend of mine used to get them. They came in "clusters" She would have to lay in a dark room for hours to get till they subsided.

waaaa.
What predictions are banned in your world?
and I didn't even mention the third round
“ The cats will be in rhe second round. And they will beat who ever they play.”

Wanna try that again?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
“ The cats will be in rhe second round. And they will beat who ever they play.”

Wanna try that again?
Sure thing.
I said they will beat who ever they play in the second round .

you are the one who sarcastically added may as well give them a pass to the finals.

I in no way implied they would beat the winner of the Metro in the third round.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Sure thing.
I said they will beat who ever they play in the second round .

you are the one who said may as well give them as pass to the finals.

I in no way implied they would beat the winner of the Metro in the third round.
Remember when everyone said the bruins were unstoppable last year. Let’s see what happens to this years juggernaut instead of booking parades in the first round

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The league is so tight nowadays. I’m surprised more people aren’t understanding missing a healthy Nylander is a massive blow. He was their #2 threat this season and for some of the season he was the #1 guy.
It's a monumental blow, especially when you couple it with the loss of Bobby McMann

The Leafs are struggling to score (what else is new) and are missing two of their best goal-scorers. It's tough to overcome that unless AM34 carries us every game

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Remember when everyone said the bruins were unstoppable last year. Let’s see what happens to this years juggernaut instead of booking parades in the first round
1. The guy who won our pool took three Panthers and no Bruins last year. Kevin Bieska picked the Panthers to beat the juggernaut Bruins on HNIC before series started. So not everybody was on thst bandwagon.
2. Me picking the Panthers to beat the leafs or Bruins in round two is not exactly going out on a limb.

"let's wait to see what happens" WTF?
Ok buddy......let's do our predictions, pools, and bets after "we see what happens" 🤣

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's a monumental blow, especially when you couple it with the loss of Bobby McMann

The Leafs are struggling to score (what else is new) and are missing two of their best goal-scorers. It's tough to overcome that unless AM34 carries us every game
Yep. That’s why the Stanley Cup is one of the toughest trophies to win. You have to win through injuries and have other players step up and pick up the slack.

Reactions: Blowfish

BB79

Apr 30, 2011

They also won 6 in a row before they dropped those last 2, ironically one in OT to the Leafs.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

How sad for AM34 to have to carry his team? So unlike McDavid, Kucherov, Eichel etc. Why should this balding dude have to do it?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
How sad for AM34 to have to carry his team? So unlike McDavid, Kucherov, Eichel etc. Why should this balding dude have to do it?
McDavid carries with Draisaitl, Kucherov with Point/Hedman/Vasi, Eichel is the best player on an extremely well-rounded team significantly over the cap

Matthews needs to have a big series here, but a game 2-style carry for 4 games is extremely tough in a series. We need Marner/Tavares to come alive and produce more than they have been

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
McDavid carries with Draisaitl, Kucherov with Point/Hedman/Vasi, Eichel is the best player on an extremely well-rounded team significantly over the cap

Matthews needs to have a big series here, but a game 2-style carry for 4 games is extremely tough in a series. We need Marner/Tavares to come alive and produce more than they have bee

Matthews is a big boy, he should be able to decide games by himself. He'll never be considered a player until he does something in the playoffs. It seems VERY difficult to him. Maybe not getting paid and golf course right there?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad