Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yep, I agree 100%, actually. Was just commenting on the difficulty in shoring up goaltending.

Toronto's team is built around its offense: a highly paid forward group that produces at a significant clip... in the regular season. But in the playoffs, we consistently come up dry. One would think having a guy with almost seventy regular season goals would more than offset the differential between the pipes, but year over year, again and again, we fail to put the puck in the net.

In this series, that has been most apparent on the powerplay... woof.

You’re right, it’s going to be tough for Tre to shore up the goaltending this summer. Lots of teams looking, but not enough supply.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sure. McAvoy should be allowed to tackle Matthews behind the net and Marchand should get away with a blatant trip in open view of everyone.

And of course when Tavares less egregiously tackles McAvoy, it’s a penalty - obviously.

Don’t get me wrong. I have far more respect for Marchand than Bertuzzi but that was blatant.
See that’s the problem in a nutshell. As biased fans we only see the missed calls against our team. Leafs got away with a lot as well.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Thought it was a fun game to watch as a neutral, though both teams looked slower than I'd expected early on, despite the quick first, and the Leafs looked a bit shaky in transition at times, passes mistimed, players having to reach. etc. Great feed by Marner for the first goal.

But neither of the big 3 they had on last night seem to have even a Marchand-lite player who will push, push and push some more to make the play, as he and Pasternak and a few others seem willing to do for the Bruins.

Maybe Nylander is that guy? Haven't watched the team enough to know.

Marchand got lucky on two calls, IMO. One of which led to the ENG.

If Keefe could generate facial expressions, I'd have expected to see some combo of rage, disgust and resignation.
I feel like Nylander is one of the Leafs best playoff performers at both ends. He seems to be the one that works hard the majority of the game, if down or up.

From what I've seen over the years, Nylander being out is a pretty big set back for the Leafs.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Do you think Keefe is coaching them to do this? Only exit the zone with a full clean possession break out? Or else reset even if hemmed in?
But is he making a point to do something about it and preventing them from that mine-set? Both are to blame.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Still using regular season stars to justify playoff decisions, huh? That’s a bold choice.
It’s still early but the b’s are 8-0 this season vs the leafs and cats , looks like the reg season is more of predictor than people are willing to admit.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Yep, I agree 100%, actually. Was just commenting on the difficulty in shoring up goaltending.

Toronto's team is built around its offense: a highly paid forward group that produces at a significant clip... in the regular season. But in the playoffs, we consistently come up dry. One would think having a guy with almost seventy regular season goals would more than offset the differential between the pipes, but year over year, again and again, we fail to put the puck in the net.

In this series, that has been most apparent on the powerplay... woof.
This is why I hate paying players such ridiculous contracts without playoff performances to back it up. (Not saying this is just a Leafs problem, seems to be the way it is now). But the goal is to win in the playoffs, and the Leafs big paid forwards just fall flat every playoffs. When they are not given space, they seem to not know how to score. And they aren't really all that noticeable unless they are scoring, which is another problem.

Reactions: JKG33

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Do you think Keefe is coaching them to do this? Only exit the zone with a full clean possession break out? Or else reset even if hemmed in?
Given how frequently it happens I sort of hope he's coaching them to do it. Either that or he's coaching them to not do it and they're completely ignoring everything he says, which is also a reason to get rid of him since it's easier to fire a coach than an entire roster.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015

Seems it's migraine issues.

According to multiple sources, William Nylander’s absence from the Toronto lineup has to do with a migraine so severe that team doctors tested to see if he suffered a concussion. One of the reasons for the secrecy around his situation is that an actual diagnosis has been hard to come by, whether it is a migraine, a concussion or something else that could affect that area.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Blame the refs

Ya, that’s pretty brutal. Just kinda encapsulates what bruins are doing right and leafs.. not so much.

Also, asking because I want to confirm my preconceived notion- Marner continues to disappoint majorly, correct? Nice assist, but no shots last game- didn’t catch it, unfortunately, so I’m wondering how people view that and his first 3 games overall.

I have a bugaboo about him, because I think he’s everything Joe Thornton gets accused of. Jumbo was usually actually hurt, I think, Marner is just too soft and space-based for playoffs.

Hope Nylander is alright and can return soon, make it more interesting. Go out with a bang, not a whimper, as a proper butchering of TS Eliot would say.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If I'm the Leafs, if Bertuzzi has another game where he's more concerned with getting into a gamesmanship duel with Marchand than actually winning the game, they should bench him before Marchand makes him his personal bitch again.

Bertuzzi had front row tickets to:

- the Frederic game tying goal when he tried to play mind games with Marchand

- the Marchand GWG goal, down on one knee and missing the blocked shot

- the Marchand empty netter to put the game away after Marchand bodied him off the puck, leaving Bertuzzi to float around after the goal barking at the ref

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
You would think it would affect the practices too though?
Depending on what's triggering them.

Practice has less harsh lights and way, way less noise. Plus less physical and emotional intensity than a game which can also trigger them.

If you're feeling kinda OK and then try morning skate and by the end of it you have a migraine, you know you're not gonna be able to go for the game.

Reactions: CDN24 and NyQuil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad