Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Most people would agree that NHL reffing is not great. I've seen playoff games that were heavily tilted by the refs toward one team to the point it affected the outcome. That hasn't remotely happened in this series. Boston deserved its 2 wins and Toronto deserved its win. The reffing has been fine.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Always strange to see complaints about reffing when the ref-given penalties in that game were Toronto 2, Bruins 5. Puck over glass doesn't count, because that's automatic and not decided on by the refs.

So did the refs miss calls on Bruins? Yeah, but they also missed some on the Leafs.

Reactions: Ladyfan and JKG33

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thought it was a fun game to watch as a neutral, though both teams looked slower than I'd expected early on, despite the quick first, and the Leafs looked a bit shaky in transition at times, passes mistimed, players having to reach. etc. Great feed by Marner for the first goal.

But neither of the big 3 they had on last night seem to have even a Marchand-lite player who will push, push and push some more to make the play, as he and Pasternak and a few others seem willing to do for the Bruins.

Maybe Nylander is that guy? Haven't watched the team enough to know.

Marchand got lucky on two calls, IMO. One of which led to the ENG.

If Keefe could generate facial expressions, I'd have expected to see some combo of rage, disgust and resignation.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Leafs look the better team, except in goal. Hard to win with a leaky goalie.
hey man .. wasnt Sammy a big part of the game 2 win? second star?

The Samsonov the Leafs are getting right now is about as good as you could have hoped for imo.

Odd management didnt properly address goalie as its the known achillies heal

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Not going to win a series going 1/11 on the PP while your opponent goes 5/10. Simple as that.

Whenever I see the argument where a poster tries to prop one player up over another because they have more 5v5 goals, I just can't agree. All goal scoring is important but scoring/not scoring on the PP is huge and can swing a game or series around.

Last edited:
Reactions: nbwingsfan

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
So just to keep me up to date Leafs fans are upset about the Marchand/Bertuzzi situation but say nothing about Domi/Swayman??
Let's not forget about the multiple infractions, including punches to the back of his head, that Domi got away with against Marchy in Gm 1 and 2. No issue for them with those "missed"/non calls either. It's kinda comical how they don't see it happening on both sides.

High sticks can be tricky. A guy lifts his stick and the head goes back. The head snapping back could be from the impact of the stick, it could be from trying to avoid the stick, or it could be embellishing, I don’t remember specifically whether a referee was there to distinguish one from the other. I’m not saying they didn’t miss the call but it can certainly be less obvious than the tackle and the trip.

Someone mentioned Domi knocking Swayman over after the period. Maybe the refs didn’t see it at the time but maybe heard about it or saw it later and so they gave a lot of leeway?
They not only saw it, they intervened between them. It was ridiculous that there was no call on that.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Let's not forget about the multiple infractions, including punches to the back of his head, that Domi got away with against Marchy in Gm 1 and 2. No issue for them with those "missed"/non calls either. It's kinda comical how they don't see it happening on both sides.
People forget it was just last game bruins should have been on a 5 on 3 after bertuzzi tried to take out marchands knee, and lybushkin assaulted Coyle.

Which would have resulted in a game 2 win for bruins, and the leafs would be playing to not get swept next game

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Andy Moog .. maybe a lazy comparison

Big, plays angles real well, squares up real well, above average reflexes ... real good slide and anticipation

No cheap goals and makes a few "should be goal" saves a game

He’s got good economy of movement but he also scrambles pretty well.

Best of both worlds really.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Curious what goalies Swayman reminds other posters of style wise?
That idk

But man he oozes confidence, I was watching him during the anthem and was thinking damn no way Toronto beating this guy tonight. And he genuinely seems to love playing hockey and enjoying being out there. Always smiling and vibin

Dostal is kinda the same way mentality wise

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
People forget it was just last game bruins should have been on a 5 on 3 after bertuzzi tried to take out marchands knee, and lybushkin assaulted Coyle.

Which would have resulted in a game 2 win for bruins, and the leafs would be playing to not get swept next game
What a stupid comparison. So, with your hypothetical, couldn’t the Leafs have won a very even game last night, as well?

I mean, could you not say with a bounce or two, or even a PP goal, the series could be 2-1 Leafs?

Only an idiot would say this series has been one sided.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What a stupid comparison. So, with your hypothetical, couldn’t the Leafs have won a very even game last night, as well?

I mean, could you not say with a bounce or two, or even a PP goal, the series could be 2-1 Leafs?

Only an idiot would say this series has been one sided.
Where did I say it was 1 sided… you can get swept in a close series

I was just stating the 5-3 that should have happened last game… but instead refs gave coyle a penalty for getting attacked

Reactions: CDN24

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
hey man .. wasnt Sammy a big part of the game 2 win? second star?

The Samsonov the Leafs are getting right now is about as good as you could have hoped for imo.

Odd management didnt properly address goalie as its the known achillies heal

It's probably the toughest position to address. Colorado, Edmonton, Carolina and Los Angeles to some extent, would probably like to improve in that position. Those are just playoff teams. Ottawa, Philly, New Jersey, goaltending is an "achilles heel" for all those clubs.

Woll looked decent before he went down with an injury, and Samsonov was the first Leafs goalie in forever to actually be part of a playoff series win last year in Tampa. I think the hope was that, as a tandem, they'd be able to be "adequate."

It's a problem, no doubt, but not an easy one to address. It's especially glaring when you have Ullmark and Swayman at the other end.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's probably the toughest position to address. Colorado, Edmonton, Carolina and Los Angeles to some extent, would probably like to improve in that position. Those are just playoff teams. Ottawa, Philly, New Jersey, goaltending is an "achilles heel" for all those clubs.

Woll looked decent before he went down with an injury, and Samsonov was the first Leafs goalie in forever to actually be part of a playoff series win last year in Tampa. I think the hope was that, as a tandem, they'd be able to be "adequate."

It's a problem, no doubt, but not an easy one to address. It's especially glaring when you have Ullmark and Swayman at the other end.

And yet Colorado is still making Helle at the other end look ordinary. It’s on the Leafs forwards to not make Swayman look like the best goalie there is.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
And yet Colorado is still making Helle at the other end look ordinary. It’s on the Leafs forwards to not make Swayman look like the best goalie there is.

Yep, I agree 100%, actually. Was just commenting on the difficulty in shoring up goaltending.

Toronto's team is built around its offense: a highly paid forward group that produces at a significant clip... in the regular season. But in the playoffs, we consistently come up dry. One would think having a guy with almost seventy regular season goals would more than offset the differential between the pipes, but year over year, again and again, we fail to put the puck in the net.

In this series, that has been most apparent on the powerplay... woof.

Reactions: Suntouchable13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad