ECQF: (2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (3) Philadelphia Flyers | Pittsburgh Leads Series 3-2

who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
My take:

Pitt doesn't have glaring holes in their lineup like Filppula Lehtera MacDonald and Manning
Hackstol will give these 4 slugs absolutely stupid amounts of ice time
Murray has not looked particularly good, but Elliott has only 2 games since being out for 7 weeks
The Flyers 1st line should match up well against Crosby or Malkin but...
Nolan Patrick is going to have the challenge of his life against Crosby or Malkin
In Pitt Crosby/Malkin will eat Filppula alive

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
People expecting this to be anything like 2012 are gonna be really disappointed.

There isnt going to be any fights or rough stuff.
Not to mention pens were at a disadvantage in coaching with Laviolette routinely playing Bylsma like a fiddle back then. In the Sullivan era the pens own the flyers, and their coach is several steps below a Lavy.

Reactions: TheTechNoir

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
My take:

Pitt doesn't have glaring holes in their lineup like Filppula Lehtera MacDonald and Manning
Hackstol will give these 4 slugs absolutely stupid amounts of ice time
Murray has not looked particularly good, but Elliott has only 2 games since being out for 7 weeks
The Flyers 1st line should match up well against Crosby or Malkin but...
Nolan Patrick is going to have the challenge of his life against Crosby or Malkin
In Pitt Crosby/Malkin will eat Filppula alive

I was just trying to convince myself that the Flyers had a shot in this series and then I just remembered the Filp-vs basically anyone of the Penguins centers matchup and have been snapped back to reality.

Reactions: AdamParrot

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Of course Pittsburgh can lose but on paper out of all the matchups this is the best for Pittsburgh

Funny how "paper" doesn't account for objective reality. There is more to a playoff series (pre-finals) than just winning the games. PIT is the favourite against all of their possible first rd match-ups. On paper assesses the teams as if they are all new to each other. Hate and vitriol will be strong in this one.

Now we just need Boston to win tomorrow,
Philly vs Pit
Tampa vs Leafs
rd 1 East will be worth watching for all hockey fans.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Cheering for the flyers because we need a new cup champion. I want pittsburgh to start sliding into rebuild mode soon

Reactions: Devonator

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
5v5 GF%

PHI 51.85
PIT 48.07

As a PIT fan, this is telling that PIT is going to have their hands full with any team during playoff reffed hockey. If refs call a tight series, then PIT should have this in 6, if not PHI in 7. PIT is very vulnerable.
I think you can throw regular season stats out the window. Flyers scratched and clawed their way to a playoff spot. Pens coasted the entire season, half their efforts were laughable.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Always Sunny >>>> Whatever show is based in Pit
51Zqv8-Dl1L.jpg
vs
29660_large.jpg

Needless to say, PHI doesn't fare well in the movie match.

Reactions: Bananas

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Not to mention pens were at a disadvantage in coaching with Laviolette routinely playing Bylsma like a fiddle back then. In the Sullivan era the pens own the flyers, and their coach is several steps below a Lavy.

Yup. Pens are much more disciplined under Sullivan...and Flyers are not allowed to play with any kind of emotion under Hakstol.

Pens have a major advantage in coaching.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Super excited for this series as a neutral fan, thinking Pens in 7. Flyers will give them a run for their money....could also see multiple games going to OT

Philly will need Elliot to step it up

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be close to sweep, but Flayers will be lucky enough to avoid it. Pens in 5.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
After two cup runs not sure Pens have the juice for 4 playoff series. But no one grinds like the Pens in a playoff series. You never know with injuries puck luck ect. But if Pens win the first two it is basically over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad