Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (3-3) Toronto Maple Leafs. GAME 7 AWAITS!

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Babcock has always loved balancing lines which is why he put zetterberg and datsyuk on separate lines most their careers in Det. Am I crazy to think our lines next year would be:

Johnsson - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - kadri - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Kapenen
Grundstrom - Altonen - ??
Goat

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
and to me, if i were boston - would scare the ever loving crap out of me
like let's look at it.

Marner going legend on Boston is no surprise (he's PPG v. Boston (at home) but now officially in his career. a wash. but:

Andersen has been woefully yuck the first few games (and now gaining steam)
Matthews (the best player) has two points to Pasta's what? 10+?
their other best winger on that line just got his first goal on Monday and is now awake (ughoh)
their PK is starting to round into form
Toronto's depth is starting to show
and Boston looks tired.

imo, all the leafs have to do is withstand the first 10 minutes (EVEN if Boston scores) - only make it one goal. and then try to tie it up in the back 10 (early 2nd, when the stretch pass really helps the leafs). I feel Cassidy will try to double shift line #1 to try to get the Bruins in it early like Game 6, so just, block everything and hold on, then Strike.

Matthews has to wake up. He looks barely ordinary and even if they steal game 7 against the Bs they will get crushed next round if this is all he can bring. Hopefully he is just sucking it because of a "dry spell" rather than he is hurt, because -5 and tied for 9th in Leafs scoring makes him the equivalent of Koma during the regular season. They aren't even a playoff club if he was like this all year. The thing is, and I know its the stat man, but Matthews has been credited with two hits per game in the playoffs. My cat has more hits than he had during the regular season. He is only 4 playoff hits behind his entire 17-18 regular season. I only point this out because the worst case is he is wobbly from a concussion and the hits say not. Let's see the real AM!

Reactions: dsred

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Matthews has to wake up. He looks barely ordinary and even if they steal game 7 against the Bs they will get crushed next round if this is all he can bring. Hopefully he is just sucking it because of a "dry spell" rather than he is hurt, because -5 and tied for 9th in Leafs scoring makes him the equivalent of Koma during the regular season. They aren't even a playoff club if he was like this all year. The thing is, and I know its the stat man, but Matthews has been credited with two hits per game in the playoffs. My cat has more hits than he had during the regular season. He is only 4 playoff hits behind his entire 17-18 regular season. I only point this out because the worst case is he is wobbly from a concussion and the hits say not. Let's see the real AM!

It's not a matter of Matthews being that bad. It's a matter of Bergeron being that good. But as good as he is... Bergeron is still only one man who can only play a limited amount of minutes. Compare possession between game 4 when he was absent with the rest of the series. Boston only won that because Rask stole the game. Matthews has also not had good puck luck so far this series.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end I support the idea of every Leaf just having their best game of the series in Game 7. I think that could work out pretty well :).

Going to need our top guys to bring what they've got. Some big goals by Matthews would be handy of course.

Let's find a way to get it done. Another must win game.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I want a 4-1 lead going into the last 10 mins.

Need to slay all the demons.

Big night for Matthews. Put him on Marner's line: Marleau - Matthews - Marner

As much as i'd love to see that, I really like the line as currently constructed. Every line is dangerous and I think that's made the difference the last two games.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Babcock has always loved balancing lines which is why he put zetterberg and datsyuk on separate lines most their careers in Det. Am I crazy to think our lines next year would be:

Marleau - kadri - Marner
Goat

I know this is recency bias for me, but I'd prefer Johnsson be the LW for Kadri rather than Marleau.

Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Johnsson - Kadri - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - ???

Reactions: unitedstars87

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
and if we win tomorrow, are you still looking at how close the games were?
For me, in my cup half full perspective, we took one step closer to 16 wins for the cup. :yo:
My point was last year's team only won two games , but with any luck they'd have won 4 or even all the games, which this year isn't the case .

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Mr. Babcock might go with Komarov tomorrow for the win and the best pk opportunity so y'alls lines ain't correct if that happens. That also might not happen if he (Babcock) decides that toronto maple leafs will go without Leo Komarov for now and this very moment. And he'll play with komarov only after this one. It's all bout that valuable, rich best coach. Period.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
also for what it is worth
regular season: 15.61 icf/60, 1.01 ixgf/60
playoffs: 17.93 icf/60, 1.05 ixgf/60

so to me it looks like he's even getting opportunities slightly better than he did in the regular season. And he absolutely dominated in the regular season. he's not getting bounces at all though
It is worth noting, though, that from the eye test, Matthews (and his linemates) have generated few high quality chances. They’re doing decently in terms of possession and shots, but the Bruins are keeping them away from the real danger areas, they aren’t getting those quality shots from in close, or cross ice passes to shots on gaping nets. They’re mostly settling for shots that Rask can handle comfortably. Contrast this with the Marner line, which is generating really good chances most shifts.

Agreed though that this is great experience for Matthews and Nylander. With time they’ll adapt and learn how generate top quality chances even against the best shutdown matchups, but they aren’t there yet. Whether they’re playing together or apart, they haven’t really figured out how to beat Chara or the Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta line ... yet.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Not making excuses but I think Matthews is playing injured. Doesn’t look right at all

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
Haven't seen all the posts but would hope Plekanec has gotten a little love. His efforts since Kadri was suspended has been herculean. So much so, Babcock left the line together, given the daunting task of keeping the league's number one line in check. Not only that, they have been the top leaf line in the last 4 games. I would like to give Plekanec his due. He has stepped up big time after a disappointing stint when Leafs acquired him. Could have made him 3rd star the last 2 games. Plus he has allowed Marner to be the top skater on the team.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I don’t think Babs is stubborn enough to play Leo when Johnsson looks so much better, but who knows :/ I’m hoping for:

Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Plekanec - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Nylander
JvR - Bozak - Kapanen

4 versatile, speedy, 2-way lines, makes it really hard for Boston to abuse matchups, even with the last change. Obviously we’ll try to get the Pleks line against the Bergeron line, but if we can’t, any of those other lines should be able to do a good enough job against Boston’s top line that we don’t get lit up. Shutting that line down, and staying out of the box, are really our top 2 keys to success.

You can’t go against the Bergeron line with a purely defensive line - they’re too good, they’ll score a lot of most of their shifts are played in your end, no matter how good your shutdown guys are. You need a 2-way line that can be on the attack as often as they’re playing D, that’s why Marleau/Pleks/Marner works so well. Marner is a huge offensive threat, keeps the Bruins from cheating much when they have the puck, and helps us maintain lots of pressure in the offensive zone. Any line with Leo on it is going to get hemmed into their own end vs. the Bruins top line, and that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Our 2 worst games were with him.

I know theres a whole lotta other underlyinf factors and stats that are not related to Leo...

But cant help but to know that his slow play already hindered a leafs team which sometimes gets hemmed in the the quickest players

Reactions: ponder

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Haven't seen all the posts but would hope Plekanec has gotten a little love. His efforts since Kadri was suspended has been herculean. So much so, Babcock left the line together, given the daunting task of keeping the league's number one line in check. Not only that, they have been the top leaf line in the last 4 games. I would like to give Plekanec his due. He has stepped up big time after a disappointing stint when Leafs acquired him. Could have made him 3rd star the last 2 games. Plus he has allowed Marner to be the top skater on the team.

Yeah he has been loved by this forum since he was promoted. Myself included.

I never doubted him to begin with lol. I always blamed Komorov hahaha

Reactions: killer1980

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
As much as i'd love to see that, I really like the line as currently constructed. Every line is dangerous and I think that's made the difference the last two games.

And the Leafs also have two lines now to shutdown Boston's top line. Which is key considering Boston has home ice advantage. First it was the Kadri line, then it was the Kadri line with Plekanec instead. Now Kadri's on another line, and they're basically doing the same job. While it's not ideal, it basically gives Babcock a 50/50 chance to have a shutdown line on the ice at any given time to deal with Boston's top line. I also like how they're constantly double teaming Pasrnak. Since they started doing that, Boston's top line's production has plummeted. Subsequently, Toronto has been winning games. Let's just hope the refs wear neutral colours for the game tomorrow.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Marleau - kadri - Marner
Goat

23 hours before the biggest game this franchise has experienced in 14 years, and you are worrying about next year's lines?

Yes. Yes you are crazy :laugh:

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
What's wrong with some of you? Why do some want OT? This series has been enough of a clincher in regulation, you guys are some weird masochist type to want to go in OT like that.

I'm hoping for a strong 60 minutes tomorrow, leave everything on the ice. There is now just as much pressure on the Leafs as there is on the Bruins. They need to close out at home and we forced a Game 7 now we NEED to win. Get out of the first tied and I say we have a good chance to take it.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->