Ecklund to host chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dr Love said:
Did I say you in specific? No, I did not. I was talking about as a whole.

A number of people in the chat came across as believing that he had actual inside information. And the number of threads created about his blog indicate to me that a decent number of people have at least some belief in him.
as for the first point, iwas originally responding to the number of posters (you were one of them) who started the usual "this guy is a kid/full of crap'. you responded so we're talking. i wasnt speaking about yiou specificly either, just the anti-eklund crowd as a whole.

as i said ihavent read anyone who thinks this guy is 100% accurate. you say yourself a decent amount of people have at least some belief - exactly. no one believes everything this guy says but people want to talk about the possibilities, or maybe one angle of what he is saying. no one assumes its true, they just want to talk about "what if" it is. its certainly worthy discussion as most of his ideas on the cba have been mentioned in other places, who cares if the point of the thread came from him? people want to talk about the concept of the tiered system, soft vs hard cap, goodenow jumping off a cliff etc...in other threads its a reasonable conversation, put eklunds name on it and its suddenly a pile of dog poo. either way, no one is attaching their horses to this guy and letting him run them off a cliff, the ideas being mentioned - true or not - are worthy of discussion and sometimes just plain fun to talk about. if it came from tsn or espn or something, it would suddenly have more creditibility, sure. it really doesnt matter tho.

as for brooks, the nyp keeps him because he is sensational and thats what new yorkers like to read - not because he is a great sportswriter. its a paper that goes by ratings - what sells stays...brooks sells. im proof, i think the guy hasnt written an opinion backed by proof in years, i still read him.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
bleedgreen said:
as for the first point, iwas originally responding to the number of posters (you were one of them) who started the usual "this guy is a kid/full of crap'. you responded so we're talking. i wasnt speaking about yiou specificly either, just the anti-eklund crowd as a whole.
Point taken.

bleedgreen said:
as i said ihavent read anyone who thinks this guy is 100% accurate. you say yourself a decent amount of people have at least some belief - exactly. no one believes everything this guy says but people want to talk about the possibilities, or maybe one angle of what he is saying. no one assumes its true, they just want to talk about "what if" it is.
Yeah, but why this guy's what ifs? Why not a poster here? Why not an actual sportswriter? A dude has a blog, claims he has info, and suddenly he's a worthy topic of discussion? This entire site is basically a giantic blog. You can find a person's opinions on their favorite team, rival teams, the league itself, future players, and everything else. I don't see anyone holding up a HF poster's opinons the way this guy has been.

bleedgreen said:
its certainly worthy discussion as most of his ideas on the cba have been mentioned in other places, who cares if the point of the thread came from him? people want to talk about the concept of the tiered system, soft vs hard cap, goodenow jumping off a cliff etc...in other threads its a reasonable conversation, put eklunds name on it and its suddenly a pile of dog poo.
A perfect example. I could make a few threads a week on my thoughts of the CBA. It wouldn't get the reponse that Eklund does. From what I have read he hasn't hit on anything that hasn't been discussed here. So why the groundswell?

bleedgreen said:
either way, no one is attaching their horses to this guy and letting him run them off a cliff, the ideas being mentioned - true or not - are worthy of discussion and sometimes just plain fun to talk about. if it came from tsn or espn or something, it would suddenly have more creditibility, sure. it really doesnt matter tho.
No, they're not, but I don't see people clamoring for Disco Stu's take on the financial structure of the NHL.

bleedgreen said:
as for brooks, the nyp keeps him because he is sensational and thats what new yorkers like to read - not because he is a great sportswriter. its a paper that goes by ratings - what sells stays...brooks sells. im proof, i think the guy hasnt written an opinion backed by proof in years, i still read him.
Yes, I know that. But what about all the rest? Every writer has earned their position in someway, whether they suck or they are prize winners. Their opinon holds some weight, but more importantly they worked their way to having their opinon read. A dude with a blog is just a dude with a computer and internet access.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dr Love said:
Yeah, but why this guy's what ifs? Why not a poster here? Why not an actual sportswriter? A dude has a blog, claims he has info, and suddenly he's a worthy topic of discussion? This entire site is basically a giantic blog. You can find a person's opinions on their favorite team, rival teams, the league itself, future players, and everything else. I don't see anyone holding up a HF poster's opinons the way this guy has been.

A perfect example. I could make a few threads a week on my thoughts of the CBA. It wouldn't get the reponse that Eklund does. From what I have read he hasn't hit on anything that hasn't been discussed here. So why the groundswell?

No, they're not, but I don't see people clamoring for Disco Stu's take on the financial structure of the NHL.
i think the reason people are clamoring to his blogs is because everyone else has shut up these last couple of weeks. he is the only person starting a conversation point, and thats why people are reacting to it. if tsn put out an article that wasnt rooted in either side, but had promise and some new ideas and supposed "insight", everyone would certainly be all over that. obviously that isnt happening, this guy is filling that gap. right place, right time....who cares? the second a more legit news source starts giving us something to talk about, this guy wont matter to anyone, even those who believe him a bit.

the fact that he gives himself a resume of sorts, sure its suspicious and anyone could do what he has done....but no one else has. its just something to talk about, he will be forgotten the second we get more concrete info elsewhere.

you could start youre own threads, and they wouldnt get a response like he has gotten, cause you are one of us - and you wouldnt say you have inside sources, cause you wouldnt lie. we dont know if he is, and its not enough for you to say he is to keep people from reading it. like ive said, no one believes all of it, its just the only news we have. i agree, its not the best we could be getting - but imagination is more fun than hitting the refresh button on tsn's website.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I get your point bleedgreen, and I actually don't care what this guy Ecklund says, but I really don't like how he's giving people what will very likely be false hope.

eatwake

Jul 14, 2004
this guy is writing his thoughts in his personal weblog. he makes it very clear that what he posts are RUMORS. whether you choose to believe them or not is your choice. and whether anyone else chooses to believe him or not is their choice, not yours. maybe this guy is just pulling s*** out of his a**; maybe he's not. honestly, we'll probably never know for sure. but why go out of your way to bring down people who want to be optimistic about a dark situation for everyone? like you said earlier, you can come and go as you please and it's not our place to tell you to leave. in that same respect, we can all choose to believe whoever we want to believe, and it's not your place to tell us otherwise.

and you ask why this one guy is getting so much attention? if you'd take a look around, he gets more negative attention than positive attention. the fact that you (and his other detractors) spend all your time degrading him has drawn posters to these threads. had you not rambled on and on about how no one should believe him, i wouldn't have gotten annoyed enough to post this. nobody has come through here acting like his every word is truth and everyone should read his blog ASAP. it's those of you who flamed him from the beginning that caused the commotion. you all have no one to blame but yourselves.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Toonces said:
I get your point bleedgreen, and I actually don't care what this guy Ecklund says, but I really don't like how he's giving people what will very likely be false hope.
im afraid of the same thing. i dont know if i beleive anything either, i just think the flaming of anyone who talks about him is out of hand. i just want to have hope, just like everyone else. if it all collapses, he will be a huge horses ass. we all know its a possibility though. the reason i stay positive is because i was around for the last lockout and this has followed it almost word for word....minus eklund. its never too late for these guys, they just want it to seem that way.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
bleedgreen said:
you could start youre own threads, and they wouldnt get a response like he has gotten, cause you are one of us - and you wouldnt say you have inside sources, cause you wouldnt lie. we dont know if he is, and its not enough for you to say he is to keep people from reading it. like ive said, no one believes all of it, its just the only news we have. i agree, its not the best we could be getting - but imagination is more fun than hitting the refresh button on tsn's website.
I don't have direct inside sources, but I could probably get them second hand ultra-reliably. Depends on how much contact my source has kept with his sources, that I don't know.

Yeah, sure, we could imagine, but I don't find that particularly fun. I love hockey. I love watching it, I love playing it, I love going to games, the Flyers are the only team in all of sports that I live and die with. I care immensily about hockey, and what the outcome of the lockout will be. But I don't imagine things about the NHL because it's not going to get me anywhere. Call me pessimistic, but I won't be let down by it. And I don't trust anything by anyone that isn't legit talking about it like they know something.

And thank you for that reponse, particularly the stuff I left out. That's what I was looking for, a reason why people look forward to what Eklund has to say.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
eatwake said:
this guy is writing his thoughts in his personal weblog. he makes it very clear that what he posts are RUMORS. whether you choose to believe them or not is your choice. and whether anyone else chooses to believe him or not is their choice, not yours. maybe this guy is just pulling s*** out of his a**; maybe he's not. honestly, we'll probably never know for sure. but why go out of your way to bring down people who want to be optimistic about a dark situation for everyone? like you said earlier, you can come and go as you please and it's not our place to tell you to leave. in that same respect, we can all choose to believe whoever we want to believe, and it's not your place to tell us otherwise.

and you ask why this one guy is getting so much attention? if you'd take a look around, he gets more negative attention than positive attention. the fact that you (and his other detractors) spend all your time degrading him has drawn posters to these threads. had you not rambled on and on about how no one should believe him, i wouldn't have gotten annoyed enough to post this. nobody has come through here acting like his every word is truth and everyone should read his blog ASAP. it's those of you who flamed him from the beginning that caused the commotion. you all have no one to blame but yourselves.
Save for the one I just responded to, all the posts in response to me have been exactly like yours--going after me, and not my questions as to why this guy is so popular. You're spending all this time getting worked up about me questioning him, and you're unintentionally using strawman tactics. If that's the course you want to take, so be it, but unlike you I'm trying to have a conversation about why this guy has readers.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dr Love said:
I don't have direct inside sources, but I could probably get them second hand ultra-reliably. Depends on how much contact my source has kept with his sources, that I don't know.

Yeah, sure, we could imagine, but I don't find that particularly fun. I love hockey. I love watching it, I love playing it, I love going to games, the Flyers are the only team in all of sports that I live and die with. I care immensily about hockey, and what the outcome of the lockout will be. But I don't imagine things about the NHL because it's not going to get me anywhere. Call me pessimistic, but I won't be let down by it. And I don't trust anything by anyone that isn't legit talking about it like they know something.
trust me, im more like you than you know. i have a friend who is the hockey writer for an nhl team, i havent called or emailed or anything because i assume he is being inundated with crap - and will tell me something when he knows. i havent called in a month - and if i knew i still wouldnt put it out here because i wouldnt want to get hopes up just to be wrong.

i love this game more than i should. i play 2/3 times a week, and ref at least 2 other days. my girlfriend has enjoyed these last couple months more than any weve been together i think. i dont trust anything that comes out in the media as it is - but im a little different from the last lockout. it was over a number of times and doomsday came and went more than once. then one day, it was over. a lot more anticipation back then though. im not sure anyone other than us cares this time around. thats whats really sad. last time, espn had morganti giving updates 2 or 3 times a day from the talks. this time no one even notices.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Dr Love said:

And thank you for that reponse, particularly the stuff I left out. That's what I was looking for, a reason why people look forward to what Eklund has to say.

I also live and die by the Flyers, and the reason I am interested what Eklund says is he is one of the few that tries to put an optimistic spin on this whole mess. I really don't care if he is a 3 yr old, In my own stupid way I want to beleive that this CBA will be resolved, and if enjoying his info ( or crap ) whatever it may be causes you guys to kick and scream that he is a fake, so be it !

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
bleedgreen said:
trust me, im more like you than you know.
You work in pro sports too? ;)

bleedgreen said:
i have a friend who is the hockey writer for an nhl team, i havent called or emailed or anything because i assume he is being inundated with crap - and will tell me something when he knows. i havent called in a month - and if i knew i still wouldnt put it out here because i wouldnt want to get hopes up just to be wrong.
Well then he's under confidentially agreement, which of course doesn't hold a ton of water, but I know where's coming from.

bleedgreen said:
i love this game more than i should. i play 2/3 times a week, and ref at least 2 other days. my girlfriend has enjoyed these last couple months more than any weve been together i think. i dont trust anything that comes out in the media as it is - but im a little different from the last lockout. it was over a number of times and doomsday came and went more than once. then one day, it was over. a lot more anticipation back then though. im not sure anyone other than us cares this time around. thats whats really sad. last time, espn had morganti giving updates 2 or 3 times a day from the talks. this time no one even notices.
No Morganti is a good thing though!

There is a huge (and obvious) silver lining to the lack of coverage, it shows the NHL and the players where they really are in the ranks of sports. This sport isn't a $10 million a year for a superstar sport, and hopefully everyone realizes that.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Dr Love said:
Save for the one I just responded to, all the posts in response to me have been exactly like yours--going after me, and not my questions as to why this guy is so popular. You're spending all this time getting worked up about me questioning him, and you're unintentionally using strawman tactics. If that's the course you want to take, so be it, but unlike you I'm trying to have a conversation about why this guy has readers.

I won't attack you, as I hope you will reciprocate the same. :)

I have to admit, a part of me wants to believe this guy, if for no other reason, because I miss NHL hockey. I enjoy the glimmer of hope he provides- whether or not he's the real deal, we may never know. However, he's no different than any other media source right now- everything is speculation and rumors- mostly, doom and gloom. So, I do enjoy reading his blog, it gives me hope on this blustery, winter day.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dr Love said:
You work in pro sports too? ;)

No Morganti is a good thing though!

There is a huge (and obvious) silver lining to the lack of coverage, it shows the NHL and the players where they really are in the ranks of sports. This sport isn't a $10 million a year for a superstar sport, and hopefully everyone realizes that.
no morganti is a great thing - i dont miss him at all.

youre right about the coverage, i would think everyone would have gotten the point by now and the players want to take more ownership in the future of the game.

i use to skate during the intermissions at the avs games, me and some friends would get all dressed up in our gear and do a race around the ice beating the crap out of each other. sometimes it was 4 on 4 football. either way we got paid (a buddy ran all the game night stuff for the avs, thats how we got to do it), so ...hell yah, ive worked in pro sports! :D

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Lady Rhian said:
I won't attack you, as I hope you will reciprocate the same. :)
Your large words frighten and confuse me. Did I use the word attack? I thought I said go after. Sematics I guess.

Lady Rhian said:
I have to admit, a part of me wants to believe this guy, if for no other reason, because I miss NHL hockey. I enjoy the glimmer of hope he provides- whether or not he's the real deal, we may never know. However, he's no different than any other media source right now- everything is speculation and rumors- mostly, doom and gloom. So, I do enjoy reading his blog, it gives me hope on this blustery, winter day.
I understand that. People believe what they want to believe. And I hate that about people. It's just who I am. Maybe I let it rub me a little too much.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Dr Love said:
Your large words frighten and confuse me. Did I use the word attack? I thought I said go after. Sematics I guess.

I understand that. People believe what they want to believe. And I hate that about people. It's just who I am. Maybe I let it rub me a little too much.

I answered what I thought was a question your were pondering about why people enjoy reading his blog. I won't use any more big words, if that so frightens and confuses you. :dunno:

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Lady Rhian said:
I answered what I thought was a question your were pondering about why people enjoy reading his blog. I won't use any more big words, if that so frightens and confuses you. :dunno:
I was joking about the frighten and confuse part.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Dr Love said:
1) No, because people already know what they're getting with said columns (Although at Baseball Primer I rail columnists when they mail it in or are full of it). When a Larry Brooks article is posted, nobody believes it. I don't think you're quite getting my point.

2) They're professional writers. I might disagree with them, but they've earned the right to have their opinon published.

I could if people would respond to the questions I posed instead of replying about me. It makes for much better conversation. In all these replies, neither you nor bleeding green has given me reason to believe Eklund, you've always gone after me instead.

I think you are the one who is missing the point. Where did I ever say that you *should* believe him. You dont have to. It is posted so if people want to check it out they can. I am not asking ANYONE to believe it. Heck, I am very wary of whatever he says but I dont just reject it out of hand because I dont know who he is.

The only reason I go after you, specifically, is because I dont think (especially as a mod) to get all over people because they choose to discuss Eklund's blog. If you dont like what he says, why not just abstain? I mean does it really bother you so much that you feel the need to force your opinion on others? Are you trying to take something away from their enjoyment? Or are you just doing this in hopes of saying "I told ya so"?

Like I said, I am not asking you to believe, I am just asking you (and others) to allow people to discuss his ideas and *RUMORS* without being a ball buster about it.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
OilerFan4Life said:
sure Eklund......errrrrrrrrrr.....Bruwinz37

He isn't Eklund, trust me. If he was, he'd keep quiet and have a good laugh at us all, bickering over him. :lol: Besides, Bruwinz can't keep his feelings to himself. It would kill him. :joker:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Lady Rhian said:
He isn't Eklund, trust me. If he was, he'd keep quiet and have a good laugh at us all, bickering over him. :lol: Besides, Bruwinz can't keep his feelings to himself. It would kill him. :joker:

Actually I have no feelings either way on Eklund. I dont really believe what he says fully and I dont dismiss it either. I am just troubled that people cant just let others read and discuss it without being knuckle dragging morons.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Dr Love said:
Maybe I let it rub me a little too much.

:lol:

hmmm...dr. love + your comment up there...i dunno. i was hoping we could just stick to the topic at hand, which is "eklund, the magician" :joker: :joker:

hockeymistress

Oct 9, 2004
neelynugs said:
:lol:

hmmm...dr. love + your comment up there...i dunno. i was hoping we could just stick to the topic at hand, which is "eklund, the magician" :joker: :joker:

What is enlightening is if you go read the entire November archive. You can see how good his sources are.

H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad