ECHL to Richmond

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Orlando plays in one, likely with the upper bowl curtained off.
Yes, Amway Center upper deck seats are curtained off for OSB games. As they are @ BOK Center-Tulsa. But both are make-do ECHL hosting arenas, so I guess a wishful GreenCity-Richmond ECHL franchise could join the make-do club as well.

ETA: Add Heritage Bank Arena in Cincinnati to that elite group. But I think they skipped the curtains & simply block access to upper tier seating sections.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Oh, yeah, just what a new (or relocated) ECHL franchise needs ... "a 17,000-seat arena." :rolleyes:

Yes, Amway Center upper deck seats are curtained off for OSB games. As they are @ BOK Center-Tulsa. But both are make-do ECHL hosting arenas, so I guess a wishful GreenCity-Richmond ECHL franchise could join the make-do club as well.

A large arena does not necessarily mean unfavorable lease terms or bad attendance. If you have an arena manager that wants the dates filled (as they should, if they're competent - obviously, not all arena managers are...) and is willing to work with a team to come up with a good deal, the size of the arena matters less than the team and the arena's ability to market the games and provide a good fan experience.

It's when you have arena managers that charge ridiculous rents and pull dirty tricks (for example, not downloading the information from a ticket scanner or two to keep attendance below a certain threshold - and yes, that does happen a lot) that teams have difficulty, and that can happen in places like the Amway Center or the Cambria County War Memorial just the same.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... It's when you have arena managers that charge ridiculous rents and pull dirty tricks (for example, not downloading the information from a ticket scanner or two to keep attendance below a certain threshold - and yes, that does happen a lot) that teams have difficulty, and that can happen in places like the Amway Center or the Cambria County War Memorial just the same.
So maybe THAT'S why me 'n' the missus never encountered anybody scanning tickets when we attended a Ghost Pirates game last weekend. :huh:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So maybe THAT'S why me 'n' the missus never encountered anybody scanning tickets when we attended a Ghost Pirates game last weekend. :huh:

It's possible. It's an easy way for the arena operator to depress the drop count to get more money out of the team. Happens fairly regularly in the arena/concert business.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Keeping it alive…

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 9

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Just heard some bozo on the radio blaming the mayor for not fixing the Richmond coliseum to be useable. I loved the place in its prime but it was a dive the last few years and way too obsolete to be repaired further.

Reactions: Roadhog

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Just heard some bozo on the radio blaming the mayor for not fixing the Richmond coliseum to be useable. I loved the place in its prime but it was a dive the last few years and way too obsolete to be repaired further.
Man, they had an entire plan but voters didn't want it. I'm just waiting for them to finally bulldoze the ugly thing and put up government buildings, just don't know what's taking so long.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Yeah the whole navy hill fiasco was a shame. ECHL was practically guaranteed to come to Richmond if it had been successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad