ECHL to 30 Teams?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This "Utica Devils" chat is taking up space in at least three different forums. Isn't there an HFB rule against that? :huh:
tbth....

there's still a segment of the fanbases that don't or won't recognize the AHL, OR how they operated over the years, just like the ECHL is looked at in a negative tone by those who aren't as informed as they probably should be, JM, IT is what it is.... some of us grew up in that league and we care about those fanbases just as we would support any hockey franchise and their fanbases if they needed it independent of league because we're all in this together.

it's just who we as a fanbase are, that we will support any market or franchise that may not need that support or feel like they're in this by themselves with no help or recourse....

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Grizzlies pulling up stakes & moving south? :popcorn:

For those who aren’t following recent developments elsewhere, a Vancouver radio station mentioned SLC as one possible destination for their AHL affiliate given the apparent move of the Devils into Utica (someone still wanting the Devils affiliate really does lead to :banghead:, but to each their own). Abbotsford and Prescott Valley were the other sites mentioned.

So if this Amarillo thing happens, it’s the other shoe dropping.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If Binghamton wants an ECHL franchise they will get one. It would be a perfect place for the ECHL. They can build an independent brand based on the city that the fan base can support without the worried of affiliations changing every other year. It would fit geographically with Portland, Worcester, Adirondack and Reading. It would even fit with T-R.

I believe that as more AHL cities become former AHL cities it will open the door for the ECHL to expand into more stable markets. I even believe we will see Manchester back sooner than later.
it's just convincing those NHL Clubs that haven't considered the ECHL that it's an option available.... but like I said is 2021/22 realistically doable knowing what has transpired to date this week alone.... and is Mitchell wanting to commit to that option if that becomes a reality....

the AHL/Howson can only go so far here publically if they want a team in Binghamton, just as Crelin does in the E, as we've seen with Savannah most recently that slid through everyone's radar as to how fast it became a reality.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
it's just convincing those NHL Clubs that haven't considered the ECHL that it's an option available.... but like I said is 2021/22 realistically doable knowing what has transpired to date this week alone.... and is Mitchell wanting to commit to that option if that becomes a reality....

the AHL/Howson can only go so far here publically if they want a team in Binghamton, just as Crelin does in the E, as we've seen with Savannah most recently that slid through everyone's radar as to how fast it became a reality.
It’s definitely late to get something going for next season. I think it’s likely that Binghamton will stay vacant for 21-22 and go over all their options for the 22-23 season. But I believe they will have a team by 22-23, whether it’s AHL or ECHL is hard to say.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It’s definitely late to get something going for next season. I think it’s likely that Binghamton will stay vacant for 21-22 and go over all their options for the 22-23 season. But I believe they will have a team by 22-23.
yup.... if that's the direction Mitchell wants to go in, but from the AHL side of it, as we've said.... even if you take the public statement Mitchell made once he was informed that the Devils were pulling the franchise, and then not knowing if "Binghamton" would go the way of Manchester and Brampton, where in essence, those ownerships ceded the franchise back to the League... and as we know in Brampton's case, it's expected to be terminated as a franchise at the end of the current season...

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
With the timing of the way things have played out recently in Binghamton I think you may see a desperation move for the 21-22 season just to have a tenant there. It's a really rough situation without a lot of time to figure it out and buildings need tenants to remain open for the community for other usages and to be an economic driver of sorts for their area. The next few months should be interesting to watch

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
In the AHL BOG meeting today, the relocation of Utica to Abbotsford and Binghamton to Utica were approved, leaving Bingo open as of right now for the 21-22 season. Obviously, it is likely too late for the E to put a team there for the 21-22 season, but could we see them pursue that market for the 22-23 season? Binghamton will definitely be looking at all of their options, and it is likely another AHL team could be interested in the market, but right now a prime market is open for the taking.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone remember how soon before the 18-19 season Newfoundland was granted acceptance? I remember it being a short timeframe.

Last edited:

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Does anyone remember how soon before the 18-19 season Newfoundland was granted acceptance? I remember it being a short timeframe.
March 2018, but they had a tentative agreement with the league in January.

The ECHL franchise was conditionally approved for the Stanford-led group pending an arena deal but was delayed in late January 2018 after a dispute with the St. John's Edge ownership group over arena rights that led to arbitration.[7] After the lease issue was settled, the ECHL officially approved St. John's for entry into the league on March 13, 2018, to begin with the 2018–19 season, placing them in the North Division of the Eastern Conference.[

Reactions: JMCx4 and Atlantian

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
if I remember right:

Both Worcester and Newfoundland took multiple years before being approved.... Portland and Spectra went a different direction to achieve the same goal....

but as I recall, Atlantian.... Half the season was gone before Rucker had completed either the application was approved and then deferred to the next season... 16/17 WAS the initial reports just like Savannah was

or the subsequential announcement that Williams had with TNSE, and the exit by Montreal to Laval.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I saw that too. Would be very interesting if Bingo and Manchester join in the next couple seasons. Really would pack the northeast
Interesting seeing so many of the older 90s ahl cities continue going this direction. Have to think the limit revenue streams in some of these locations are just more conducive to an ECHL level product. I understand geography is very much in play but it is hard to see some of these older 90s ahlers compete with Palm Springs ha

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I saw that too. Would be very interesting if Bingo and Manchester join in the next couple seasons. Really would pack the northeast

Yep. POTENTIALLY, you'd see a division like this...

Binghamton
Manchester
Newfoundland
Portland
Reading
Worcester

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I get that we're focused on Bingo right now, but what happens to Bridgeport when the Islanders move them to Nassau? Thinking they come down too?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I get that we're focused on Bingo right now, but what happens to Bridgeport when the Islanders move them to Nassau? Thinking they come down too?
what.

NASSAU Coliseum will never, ever, be a hockey arena again.....besides the Islanders affiliate is Worcester, Atlantian....

the Coliseum is likely being imploded or going to be strictly a concert venue.

hence the NYCB Live at the Nassau County Veterans Memorial Coliseum after the illfated stint in Brooklyn.... while the Counties rejected a replacement.

UBS Arena @ Belmont Park IS READY TO roll by now.....

otherwise, why would the Coliseum list 1972-2021 if the Islanders are moving to Belmont Park.

the Coliseum is equivalent to what Izod Center was to New Jersey once the Devils chose Newark.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
NASSAU Coliseum will never, ever, be a hockey arena again
Hutch said it so now I know the Islanders are moving their AHL team there within 5 years

But for real, Nassau just recently underwent millions in renovations and it is reported that they will need a pro hockey tenant to stay above water. Once the Isles move to Belmont, within 5 years their AHL team will be in Nassau, and the city of Bridgeport will be in the ECHL (likely not affiliated with the Islanders)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hutch said it so now I know the Islanders are moving their AHL team there within 5 years

But for real, Nassau just recently underwent millions in renovations and it is reported that they will need a pro hockey tenant to stay above water. Once the Isles move to Belmont, within 5 years their AHL team will be in Nassau, and the city of Bridgeport will be in the ECHL (likely not affiliated with the Islanders)
that's been a rumor/urban legend for years, Atlantian.....

none of that is true:

if it was Bridgeport would've been gone by now and followed Newfoundland, Worcester and Portland down to the ECHL.....

WHEN Bridgeport joined and essentially replaced New Haven as the rival to Hartford it was a 20 year lease.

I suspect the Islanders also operate Webster Bank Arena through their parent company

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

maybe we'll relocate Gwinnett to Manchester, then, based off that flawed logic/urban legend, then.... and Cobb County will have no more chances for pro hockey, since Metro Atlanta won't be given an opportunity in the next century.

think about that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->