ECHL to 30 Teams?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
it will be 28... but will Brampton be transferred a la Portland or go the way of Manchester.... it is unlikely that the opt-out for 21/22 for those who opted out for 21...

we still don't know if Seattle will start a franchise like they've done for the Kraken and their AHL Affiliate TBD, or will they align with an expansion team or an existing one with that team switching affiliates to somewhere else.

where does Ottawa and Belleville go from here now that Brampton is now not an option....
The ECHL said the Beast have withdrawn their membership which means it wouldn't be an "active" franchise anymore. I admittedly know nothing of the player movement Ottawa had between Belleville and Brampton but I would bet they didn't really use the Beast more than most teams other than to stash a couple extra contracts, and signed on for the marketing/PR.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If I were a betting man I would bet Ottawa is going to use that new fancy club in Trois-Rivieres
HOW, if Montreal has the affiliation and has since the club was announced..... as it stands now Laval has overflow without an option since there's been no North Division this season.

the surprise was Savannah, not 3R/Coralville, which likely goes to the Wild

Reactions: Atlantian

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
HOW, if Montreal has the affiliation and has since the club was announced..... as it stands now Laval has overflow without an option since there's been no North Division this season.

the surprise was Savannah, not 3R/Coralville, which likely goes to the Wild
Yeah I see Iowa going with Minnesota. Savannah has connections with Seattle already so I believe they’ll be their affiliate starting the second season with them likely sharing Idaho with Dallas year one.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
might be an off question but will Atlanta be with Boston next year
I'd expect to see basically the same affiliations as we had in the last almost full season.... the only caveat is where does Ottawa go next....

because outside of Brampton's announcement, and the 3 new expansions... it should be back to 28, unless there's something we haven't accounted for....

Reactions: Atlantian

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Do you guys see any other teams folding or being at risk of folding at this point? obviously Brampton was already in trouble . There is other teams out there that are not healthy .

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Do you guys see any other teams folding or being at risk of folding at this point? obviously Brampton was already in trouble . There is other teams out there that are not healthy .
I think Brampton will be the only one folding unless something odd happens and teams can't play in front of fans come October. If that happens I can see some teams having major issues.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
i know... We have at minimum established that before in this thread but as far as Atlanta if they will resign with Boston or choose a different team for marketing and promotional purposes like a regional team
there really isn't one available here.... I cannot see Worcester changing from the Islanders, much like the Rangers leaving Maine, and Boston ignored Portland for Providence in the early 1990s

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
i know... We have at minimum established that before in this thread but as far as Atlanta if they will resign with Boston or choose a different team for marketing and promotional purposes like a regional team
Don Sweeney seems like he has a good relationship with the people in Atlanta. The only realistic regional option really would be Maine.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Don Sweeney seems like he has a good relationship with the people in Atlanta. The only realistic regional option really would be Maine.
nope.

why? Maine hates Boston management, Centrum..... then you've got Briere and Holmgren (Comcast/Flyers)running the current franchise here, which also operates Cross Arena and Hartford's business operations as well as the XL Center.... the only caveat for Maine will be once they return is how involved will the Rangers and Chris Drury be with Briere, Drury now has been promoted to Associate GM of the Rangers

proof of that was 1988-1991.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Every team is unhealthy at the moment. In my opinion, you need at least 3.5k in attendance to be in good standing in the E. 4K plus to me is healthy. Every team playing right now is below that line. Only JAX and FLA are above 3K. If everyone makes it, all 27 teams will be on a very tight budget for next year except for TOL and FTW probably. At this point, we just don't know. I've heard talk about Norfolk closing up, I've heard talk about Newfie moving because of everything going on at Mile One still, and Atlanta still does not have a lease for next season as far as I know. We just do not know a lot and the majority of this board is speculation.

Attendance: ECHL 2020-21 team attendance at hockeydb.com

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Every team is unhealthy at the moment. In my opinion, you need at least 3.5k in attendance to be in good standing in the E. 4K plus to me is healthy. Every team playing right now is below that line. Only JAX and FLA are above 3K. If everyone makes it, all 27 teams will be on a very tight budget for next year except for TOL and FTW probably. At this point, we just don't know. I've heard talk about Norfolk closing up, I've heard talk about Newfie moving because of everything going on at Mile One still, and Atlanta still does not have a lease for next season as far as I know. We just do not know a lot and the majority of this board is speculation.

Attendance: ECHL 2020-21 team attendance at hockeydb.com
If Cavanagh cant make it work Norfolk should take a long break from hosting pro hockey at least 3 years.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Thought I’d update on what I thought to be a semi-cynical comment made a few months ago.

Frankly, the people who put together New Mexico United hit the sports jackpot in Albuquerque, and that's because it's the right market. Getting them their own stadium will end up being a higher priority for government types than trying to bring back hockey. Getting that stadium probably isn't a high priority in the first place.

State Funding Sought for Albuquerque Soccer Stadium Project

Whether this lessens or improves any chances of hockey being next in line... I don’t know. I’d say it’s unlikely. This effort obviously isn’t 100% assured. But New Mexico is actually considering public funding for a stadium project. That’s news given the last few years in the arena/stadium project sphere.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Thought I’d update on what I thought to be a semi-cynical comment made a few months ago.

State Funding Sought for Albuquerque Soccer Stadium Project

Whether this lessens or improves any chances of hockey being next in line... I don’t know. I’d say it’s unlikely. This effort obviously isn’t 100% assured. But New Mexico is actually considering public funding for a stadium project. That’s news given the last few years in the arena/stadium project sphere.
I do not see Albuquerque getting an arena suitable for pro hockey in the next decade, although there was a study done in 2019 about the possibility of a new stadium to replace Tingley, former home of the New Mexico Scorpions of the WPHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad