ECHL to 30 Teams?

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Ohhh so you have a "special" status.
Now I understand. And "we", the average fans, are not credible without a source. Ok ok I get it!

ps: by the way, i was the one in here saying that ECHL TROIS-RIVIÈRES was official months before the league made it official. Coming from my inside source. I happen to live in that city
So, do I have a special status too?
I had Savannah before anyone. Where's my special status :laugh:

Reactions: hurricanesfan123

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
wouldn't bet on it but would certainly be cool to see
I think, in order to make money, they would need two things. One, they have enough information about the players/teams, and enough people or computers to crunch that data so that they can make enough correct predictions so that they maintain their edge vs the bettors. Second, enough people willing to bet on the games to make it worthwhile.
Both are questionable. With NHL/MLB/NBA/NFL, etc you have a fairly good idea who is going to play in the game, and how they will perform. With ECHL the rosters change significantly from day to day, and there are lots of rookies getting lots of ice time. Very tough to predict the outcome of individual games. With the major sports you have millions of people watching on TV or in bars who are placing bets. The only people betting on ECHL games would be those who go to the live games. Thats a pool of ~4000 people per game, and a lot of those are kids or people who don't gamble.
Now if they could use their pre-existing platform and servers, and somehow plug in data from the league without having to invest a bunch of money, and they could make it work with some kind of generic odds, or by charging a transaction fee, maybe it works. But is there enough money in it to make it worthwhile for the provider and the league? Because the league is also going to have to police the players and coaches to make sure no one is betting on the league games.

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
the real question becomes what happens to their membership? Is it terminated or will it be sold to a future owner so they wont have to pay higher expansion fees?

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Brampton is ceasing operations at the conclusion of this season.

I never like to see a team leave, but this one has been a disaster from jump street. A fellow Cyclones fan has been up there several times and he says-and his videos confirm-that they never had over 500 for a Friday or Saturday game when he was there.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So if my math is correct, and I'm checking it with all of you...

-Brampton + Trois Riveres, Iowa City, & Savannah

barring any other teams folding or taking a hiatus for whatever reason the league sits at 28 teams for the 21-22 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So if my math correct, and I'm checking it with all of you...

-Brampton + Trois Riveres, Iowa City, & Savannah

barring any other teams folding or taking a hiatus for whatever reason the league sits at 28 teams for the 21-22 season.
it will be 28... but will Brampton be transferred a la Portland or go the way of Manchester.... it is unlikely that the opt-out for 21/22 for those who opted out for 21...

we still don't know if Seattle will start a franchise like they've done for the Kraken and their AHL Affiliate TBD, or will they align with an expansion team or an existing one with that team switching affiliates to somewhere else.

where does Ottawa and Belleville go from here now that Brampton is now not an option....

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Brampton won't be transferred. The ECHL press release specifically says "withdrawn their Membership in the ECHL", which means they've returned the franchise rights to the league. The Alaska Aces suspended operations with the permission of the ECHL, which allowed them to sell the franchise rights.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Brampton won't be transferred. The ECHL press release specifically says "withdrawn their Membership in the ECHL", which means they've returned the franchise rights to the league. The Alaska Aces suspended operations with the permission of the ECHL, which allowed them to sell the franchise rights.
what's Ottawa's plan though, 210, there are now 7-8 or more teams now that either don't have a specific affiliate or development-wise haven't been convinced to join the ECHL.

THIS ISN'T the way we've seen that you have to be affiliated with a PDC in hand to be an active member club, the way the AHL Requires you to be.... YET

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
None of that has anything to do with what I posted. You asked what will happen to the Brampton franchise, and I replied. The rest requires conjecture, and to be honest none of us has enough information to do anything but make a wild guess.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
None of that has anything to do with what I posted. You asked what will happen to the Brampton franchise, and I replied. The rest requires conjecture, and to be honest none of us has enough information to do anything but make a wild guess.
ok, that's fine.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad