ECHL to 30 Teams?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Brampton is done without their insane subsidy. No ifs ands or buts. The only thing left for them to decide is when to announce their intentions to fold. Norfolk still has some life, but I do not see them surviving much longer. When Savannah joins the league in 2022, that would push them to the north and increase their travel costs. Do not see them surviving the transition in their current state.
With the teams that played last season, plus the expansions already announced, you end up with a pretty easy division setup
West - Allen, Tulsa, Wichita, Rapid City, Utah, Idaho, KC (7)
Central - Kzoo, FTW, Indy, Cincy, Toledo, Wheeling, Coralville (7)
North - St John, 3R, Brampton, Reading, Worcester, Adirondack, Brampton (7)
South - Florida, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Greenville, SC, Savannah, Orlando, Norfolk (8)

Since Savannah isn't coming on until 2022, Norfolk will certainly stay in the south for 21-22, even if Brampton folds. If Brampton sticks around, or is replaced by another market that fits the north, like say Manchester, then Norfolk still stays in the south. Even if Brampton folds and no one else joins, they likely still keep Norfolk in the south and go with 7,7,6,8 - or they nominally add Norfolk to the north, but they continue to play a schedule that includes mainly Reading, Wheeling, and the SC and Georgia teams, and Newfoundland subsidizes a trip there and comes down for a weekend. That way the economic impact is minimal, except for playoffs -and playoff haven't been an issue for Norfolk recently. :D

Reactions: Atlantian

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
With the teams that played last season, plus the expansions already announced, you end up with a pretty easy division setup
West - Allen, Tulsa, Wichita, Rapid City, Utah, Idaho, KC (7)
Central - Kzoo, FTW, Indy, Cincy, Toledo, Wheeling, Coralville (7)
North - St John, 3R, Brampton, Reading, Worcester, Adirondack, Brampton (7)
South - Florida, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Greenville, SC, Savannah, Orlando, Norfolk (8)

Since Savannah isn't coming on until 2022, Norfolk will certainly stay in the south for 21-22, even if Brampton folds. If Brampton sticks around, or is replaced by another market that fits the north, like say Manchester, then Norfolk still stays in the south. Even if Brampton folds and no one else joins, they likely still keep Norfolk in the south and go with 7,7,6,8 - or they nominally add Norfolk to the north, but they continue to play a schedule that includes mainly Reading, Wheeling, and the SC and Georgia teams, and Newfoundland subsidizes a trip there and comes down for a weekend. That way the economic impact is minimal, except for playoffs -and playoff haven't been an issue for Norfolk recently. :D
aren't u forgetting something Royals:

North Division in your post is missing Maine.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
ESSENTIALLY nothing has changed in Manchester, Martin.... yes, Commissioner Crelin would entertain the possibility of a new Manchester franchise, but nothing has come of it....

either that, or there's no interest from those wanting to start a franchise, to the point where you've seen Deacon, do it three times, but there's no guarantee Newfoundland would've survived had the sidebar over the Edge and SJSE, not interfered with that franchise...

same with Worcester, after how that market was treated by St. Louis, especially, not as much by SVSE.

THERE'S also a contingent of fans who want Manchester back in the AHL, but that's simply not in the cards after the transition and the decision by the AHL to create a Pacific Division, something that's still reverberating now with the way Calgary is running their player development.... that's not the pandemic, although they'll spin it that way

Reactions: Martin Veillette

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Its nice to see the league adding teams however . Not to be a negative nancy but there is a couple teams who aren't the healthiest franchises out there . its great to see the league grow . But shouldnt the league focus on strengthening the existing locations .

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
Two posts after the one you just quoted.

Edit: My mistake...three posts.

Thanks for the "edit".
I was totally lost without it.

Maybe next time you can put your source in the same post just like you told me the other day ;)

Can I ask why are you so mean all the time when you post here?
There are professionnals out there if you wanna get some help!

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
aren't u forgetting something Royals:

North Division in your post is missing Maine.
I thought I was missing someone. Sorry to the Maine fans, if there are any here.
Proves the point even more, that there is no need to move Norfolk to the north, even with the addition of Savannah. North would have 8 teams with Brampton or Manchester, 7 teams without.

Its nice to see the league adding teams however . Not to be a negative nancy but there is a couple teams who aren't the healthiest franchises out there . its great to see the league grow . But shouldnt the league focus on strengthening the existing locations .
The league works with the owners of all teams to help them be successful. They have meetings several times per year, and ongoing mentoring. As long as they meet their league obligations and follow the rules the league can't tell an owner how to run his or her business. At the end of the day it is up to the owner to strengthen their own team. The best thing the league can do collectively is try to add strong teams whenever possible, so that the league remains viable, even if some teams fail.

Reactions: 210

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I thought I was missing someone. Sorry to the Maine fans, if there are any here.
Proves the point even more, that there is no need to move Norfolk to the north, even with the addition of Savannah. North would have 8 teams with Brampton or Manchester, 7 teams without.

The league works with the owners of all teams to help them be successful. They have meetings several times per year, and ongoing mentoring. As long as they meet their league obligations and follow the rules the league can't tell an owner how to run his or her business. At the end of the day it is up to the owner to strengthen their own team. The best thing the league can do collectively is try to add strong teams whenever possible, so that the league remains viable, even if some teams fail.
no worries, there. I knew it was a slip and I don't remember Brampton playing in the North Division, although they did play them last year....

hard to keep track of everyone.... it happens

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That's what I meant. 3 (ECHL) spots left ;)
Question: is the "Palm Beach Firebirds" name official yet?
ON the 2nd point.... last I knew, the arena was never started..... and there was a brief trademark issue over the Firebirds.... but then it appeared they were looking at Palm Desert, instead of Palm Springs.

nothing was made official due to the pandemic... except the AHL approved the AHL Franchise

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Thanks for the "edit".
I was totally lost without it.

Maybe next time you can put your source in the same post just like you told me the other day ;)

Can I ask why are you so mean all the time when you post here?
There are professionnals out there if you wanna get some help!

I didn't post that as the source for my information in the tweet you quoted because I was the first to post it here and in other places, having spoken to the person leading the Manchester group several times prior to the onset of the pandemic. Essentially, I am the source of the original information. Plus, on top of that, it is not the first time that tweet from Mark Divver (dated July 9, 2020) was posted in this forum. The veracity of my information was already proven.

You have to post your sources because you haven't shown that you have access to information that isn't generally available to the public. That's one of the forum rules here. I've been involved in minor league hockey, both as a fan and as a media member, for longer than I've been on this forum (which is 17 years or so). I have proven many, many times that I have access to people and information the average fan doesn't.

And none of my posts lately have been in any way, shape, or form "mean". I can and have posted that way before. If it happens again, you'll clearly see the difference.

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
I didn't post that as the source for my information in the tweet you quoted because I was the first to post it here and in other places, having spoken to the person leading the Manchester group several times prior to the onset of the pandemic. Essentially, I am the source of the original information. Plus, on top of that, it is not the first time that tweet from Mark Divver (dated July 9, 2020) was posted in this forum. The veracity of my information was already proven.

You have to post your sources because you haven't shown that you have access to information that isn't generally available to the public. That's one of the forum rules here. I've been involved in minor league hockey, both as a fan and as a media member, for longer than I've been on this forum (which is 17 years or so). I have proven many, many times that I have access to people and information the average fan doesn't.

And none of my posts lately have been in any way, shape, or form "mean". I can and have posted that way before. If it happens again, you'll clearly see the difference.
have you spoken to the group since the pandemic, it would be interesting to see their current point of view on the situation,possibly post covid intentions?

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019

Ohhh so you have a "special" status.
Now I understand. And "we", the average fans, are not credible without a source. Ok ok I get it!

ps: by the way, i was the one in here saying that ECHL TROIS-RIVIÈRES was official months before the league made it official. Coming from my inside source. I happen to live in that city
So, do I have a special status too?

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Now I understand. And "we", the average fans, are not credible without a source. Ok ok I get it!

ps: by the way, i was the one in here saying that ECHL TROIS-RIVIÈRES was official months before the league made it official. Coming from my inside source. I happen to live in that city

You'll have to ask the moderators and site admins about that. It's their rules, not mine.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Trois-Rivières has been linked with an ECHL team since 2018. There have consistently been articles put out for the last three years about the ECHL and Trois-Rivières. I think we all knew they were going there, it simply wasn't official yet. This is because we have Google and three minutes of time. Bragging about knowing something is going to happen because you live in the area and have an inside source means nothing when there have been dozens of articles out for at least two years before you heard about it.

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
Trois-Rivières has been linked with an ECHL team since 2018. There have consistently been articles put out for the last three years about the ECHL and Trois-Rivières. I think we all knew they were going there, it simply wasn't official yet. This is because we have Google and three minutes of time. Bragging about knowing something is going to happen because you live in the area and have an inside source means nothing when there have been dozens of articles out for at least two years before you heard about it.

Lol! I just said it was official and signed, and not a rumour anymore.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad