ECHL to 30 Teams?

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
You must be extremely credentialed to have information that hasn't be found anywhere else from the dozens of entities that have a stake in reporting news on hockey in Manchester.

The reason none of those entities are writing about future of hockey in Manchester is because they do not care. 1.) It doesn’t generate clickable advertising revenue 2.) Lack of staff to cover such items 3.) see step 1. It doesn’t generate revenue for the paper so they are not hard pressed to cover the story.
That’s why the Press Herald in Portland doesn’t cover the Mariners, Red Claws or Sea Dogs on a regular or consistent basis. They push high school first, Red Sox or Patriots second and Bruins and Celtics third.
It’s all about the Benjamins.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The only person who would have any knowledge about what is going on in Manchester would be Alex Hall with the Union Leader and I'm not sure if he's still with them.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
The reason none of those entities are writing about future of hockey in Manchester is because they do not care. 1.) It doesn’t generate clickable advertising revenue 2.) Lack of staff to cover such items 3.) see step 1. It doesn’t generate revenue for the paper so they are not hard pressed to cover the story.
That’s why the Press Herald in Portland doesn’t cover the Mariners, Red Claws or Sea Dogs on a regular or consistent basis. They push high school first, Red Sox or Patriots second and Bruins and Celtics third.
It’s all about the Benjamins.

I can find within 5 pages of a google search more than 20 different papers writing about the Monarchs ceasing operations. Day to day coverage is one thing, but a team ceasing operations or possibly getting back in the mix is entirely different. Look at the English coverage alone that Trois-Rivières got.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I can find within 5 pages of a google search more than 20 different papers writing about the Monarchs ceasing operations. Day to day coverage is one thing, but a team ceasing operations or possibly getting back in the mix is entirely different. Look at the English coverage alone that Trois-Rivières got.

And, it guaranteed that those papers used same source material.

Reactions: 210

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
And, it guaranteed that those papers used same source material.

What the heck does the same source material have to do with it? It has absolutely no bearing on what was being discussed. What was being discussed was that there wasn't a single papers that has discussed an ownership group interested in returning the ECHL to Manchester. There were at least 20 that discussed the Monarchs ceasing operations, it would stand to reason that there should be at least 4-5 that would discuss an interested ownership group returning the ECHL to Manchester. I didn't look overtly hard, but there hasn't been any news from any of the 20 or so papers that discussed. Having the same source material is absolutely irrelevant to what was being discussed.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
What the heck does the same source material have to do with it? It has absolutely no bearing on what was being discussed. What was being discussed was that there wasn't a single papers that has discussed an ownership group interested in returning the ECHL to Manchester. There were at least 20 that discussed the Monarchs ceasing operations, it would stand to reason that there should be at least 4-5 that would discuss an interested ownership group returning the ECHL to Manchester. I didn't look overtly hard, but there hasn't been any news from any of the 20 or so papers that discussed. Having the same source material is absolutely irrelevant to what was being discussed.
I think what was intended was that those 20 papers didn't do separate investigations into the Monarch's situation. They saw the first article that was printed and they either reprinted it, or called the people who were quoted in the first article and re-interviewed them. There is a difference between having 20 media outlets actively interested in Manchester hockey and having one actively paying attention and 19 others repeating what the first one said. Someone has to break the story first to get the others interested, and there is likely only one or two who would do that.

I don't know about Manchester at all, but lots of other cities have had their newspapers cut staff, or were sold and merged, or even closed altogether. Reading's newspaper is no longer headquartered or printed in Reading. It was bought by a media conglomerate and they centralized operations between several cities, with operations of all the papers at one office/publishing facility. They are slowly losing the local focus and publishing more national and regional news. Less "boots on the ground" locally to pick up on these type of stories. If they hear about a rumored change in ownership they would do a story, but they might not hear about it as early in the process any more. Once they publish the story, they would probably also put it in the sports section of the newspapers they own in the surrounding counties, and maybe also in Wheeling, Worcester, Portland, and other ECHL cities. Hence 20 stories show up, but it was only one reporter who was actually responsible for all of it.

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
true but these " Interested Manchester Owners" may not want to be public

KingKrug47

May 21, 2019
If Manchester came back, I'd love it if Lowell got a team back and bring back the glory days of the Lowell-Manchester-Portland-Wocester rivalry of the AHL. Not sure how much the stance of Umass Lowell has changed about sharing an arena though. Marty no longer being the UML chancellor and if it's not a NJ team may stand a slightly better than 1% chance.

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
I kind of dig with the Massachusetts are talkin about here. The sad part is I don't think the times Union center will ice a team. And the Long island project is either put on hold or just completely dead cuz I haven't seen any articles about it.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Never mind the plans are due in April.

For the Long Island ECHL team? That plan has been dead for two years. The land was sold to the mall less than a month after those articles came out. Any talk of Lowell to the ECHL is hogwash, that is college hockey territory now with UMass-Lowell taking up the market share equivalent of an ECHL team and then some. Plus, UMass-Lowell and Tsongas Center kicked out the AHL Devils, it's irrational to think that they'll change their minds and let a pro team come in.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Caps should place an ECHL team in Baltimore. It has to be ECHL because the AHL will never allow the Hershey Bears to be moved.
NHL teams don't invest in the ECHL unless they want the arena for an AHL Team. If a local owner wanted to start an echl team in Baltimore They can apply for expansion royal farms arena is pretty dated though.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
The Caps should place an ECHL team in Baltimore. It has to be ECHL because the AHL will never allow the Hershey Bears to be moved.

The AHL doesn't care about relocations. The AHL is completely subservient to the NHL. But, they can't force a team to sell. Hershey is owned by the gigantic chocolate making conglomerate who own the arena and the team, and both are incredibly profitable. That's why Hershey won't be relocated.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The AHL doesn't care about relocations. The AHL is completely subservient to the NHL. But, they can't force a team to sell. Hershey is owned by the gigantic chocolate making conglomerate who own the arena and the team, and both are incredibly profitable. That's why Hershey won't be relocated.

I don't think they own the arena, I think they just run it. Although it's essentially the same thing when the team is the primary tenant.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Actually, there was discussion on whether the Capitals would purchase the Bears and relocate them to Maryland back in 2016. Hershey Company was fighting a hostile bid takeover by Mondelez International (Kraft Foods) and was in discussions with various groups about selling its stake in Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company which would have included Hersheypark, Hersheypark Stadium and Arena plus the Bears. Obviously, the Capitals were interesting in buying the Bears. If I remember correctly they were looking at an arena in Silver Springs or a new arena in Baltimore. Fortunately, Hershey rejected $23B deal with Mondelez & the Capitals signed a new affiliation agreement but in the AHL I’ve learned to never say never because everything has a price.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't think they own the arena, I think they just run it. Although it's essentially the same thing when the team is the primary tenant.
You're right Giant Center is owned by Derry Township, and managed by HERCO (Hershey Entertainment). They do own the Hersheypark Arena though which is used for Bears practices and by the Lebanon Valley College team in addition to youth hockey.

Reactions: 210

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I wish the Trenton Titans could come back but baring something like in Bingo where the local government is essentially subsidizing the team the odds of it happening (particularly now) are in the immortal words of the late great Gorilla Monsoon "Highly unlikely". Market is basically dead and buried which is a shame because that building is perfect for ECHL.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Here's a good alignment for a 32-team ECHL:

East
Atlantic
Adirondack
Brampton
Greenville
Norfolk
Reading
South Carolina