ECHL releases 2015 protected lists

dlocal

May 15, 2011
Oregon OH
Can anyone shed light on what the protected list means? Are players on it not allowed to sign with any other teams until a certain date?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Can anyone shed light on what the protected list means? Are players on it not allowed to sign with any other teams until a certain date?

Pretty much a waste of time. Only thing it means is you can choose up to 8 guys from that list to give a qualifying offer to. They can sign with another team I think in August sometime if they want.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

Pretty much a waste of time. Only thing it means is you can choose up to 8 guys from that list to give a qualifying offer to. They can sign with another team I think in August sometime if they want.

Mostly it doesn't mean much, but it depends on the player's situation. In order to put a player on your season ending roster (which comes out June 15) you have to have him on your protected list first, so this is the first step in holding the rights of active players. However, for players who aren't active in the ECHL (retired, suspended, went to Europe, signed in the NHL/AHL), you can continue to hold their rights from year to year by putting them on the protected list. They aren't listed on the season ending roster, and you don't have to make them an offer.

The season ending roster is the list of 20 active ECHL players that you can make qualifying offers to. You can also just sign them to a contract. So, out of the 20 on the roster, maybe the team signs 5 to actual contracts, then makes qualifying offers to another 8, so now they hold the rights to 13. They don't have to announce those 5 contracts, so you don't really know how many of the 20 they actually hold the rights to. For non-veterans, a qualifying offer holds their rights for an entire season. For veterans who receive a qualifying offer, they become restricted free agents at the beginning of August, and unrestricted free agents at the end of of August.

So, it is complicated - and this list really doesn't mean much, more of an internal memo between the teams and the league to clarify who owns which players rights. I'm not sure why they release it to the public, because it just confuses people when they see players on there who didn't play for the team (retired, suspended, etc), or don't see players who did (NHL/AHL contracts on assignment)

marlcarp71

Jul 23, 2014
Does somebody have news about these guys, I think that they’re all near to be retired, but I would like to have news about them. (sorry for the length of the list)

Andrew Blazek (OK Signed with Wichita ECHL)
Angelo Esposito (Thinks he can play in Europe?)
David Leneveu
Eric Kattelus (Ok signed with Kalamazoo ECHL)
Eric Knodel
Eric Neilson
Jimmy Bonneau
Joe Diamond
Joe Faust
Joel Riechlicz
Johnny Mcguire
Jonathan Parker
Jordan Henry
Jordan Hill
Kenny Reiter
Kevin Sundher
Marc Cantin
Mark Dekanich
Mark Louis
Matt Lashoff
Michael Vernace
Mickey Lang
Mike Ullrich
Nathan Deck
Nicholas Drazenovic
Nick Petrecky
Paul Ranger
Philippe Trudeau (Maybe CIS?)
Ray Macias (Ok Signed with Wichita ECHL)
Ryan Parent
Ryan Schnell
Ryley Grantham
Scott Ford
Sean Dolan
Steven Whitney (Ok Signed with Norfolk ECHL)
Tom Serratore
Tomas Vincourt
Tony Capobianco
Tony Turgeon
Travis Ramsey
Ty Wishart
Tyler Bunz
Will Weber
William Wren
Zack Miskovich

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:

marlcarp71

Jul 23, 2014
Thanks jawallstar1. I seached on eliteprospects before writing on hfboards. Here I can find a lot of people that can help me have answers to my question. Each time I receive and answer, I write after the name the inormation I received in order to get it updated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad