ECHL - New team in Savannah, GA 2022-23

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
Pro hockey franchise coming to new Savannah Arena

City expected to announce details on team in Wednesday news conference
By WTOC Staff | January 26, 2021 at 11:30 AM EST - Updated January 26 at 5:47 PM
SAVANNAH, Ga. (WTOC) - The City of Savannah is expected to announce details about the city’s new professional hockey team.
The team will begin play in 2022-2023 season in the ECHL, a AA league currently with 26 teams spread across 26 states and two Canadian provinces.
The team will be the first tenant of the new Savannah Arena.
Savannah Mayor Van Johnson will host a news conference Wednesday officially announcing the team. Mayor Johnson will be joined by representatives of the Savannah Pro Hockey Team, ECHL, the Savannah Sports Council, and Oak View Group Facilities, the group managing the new arena.
The news conference is set for 11 a.m. on Wednesday.
Hockey is nothing new to the city of Savannah, but not at the professional level.
The Savannah Hockey Classic, pitting four college teams against one another, has been a popular event at the Savannah Civic Center every year since 1999.

Reactions: JMCx4

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
happy to see savannah join, however a little surprised this soon. Thought it would be a couple years. Good travel partner for the south division and will make a good rivalry with atlanta

Reactions: Atlantian

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I'm not surprised at all. The plan from the city's side has always been to have a primary tenant in place the first year the arena was opened.

I'm super stoked. My wife and I loved Savannah when we visited. Totally fell in love with the city. I even talked to a member of the Bananas' front office about the rumors (this was a year ago so nothing was even close yet) while buying some merch.

Me being me, the whole drive home from Savannah I was talking to my wife about getting back into hockey and trying to get a job with the eventual Savannah team as we were seriously considering moving to Savannah. Things change and we settled on moving to central Florida and I'm making too much money to give it up and go work for a hockey team again but we'll definitely be visiting for games in the future.

Reactions: FloridaCat

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Good location and it looks like it'll be a nice arena too

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Name Your Team — Savannah Pro Hockey

No list to choose from, you have to give your name and contact information and come up with your own suggestion. ...
Nothing more than a low effort exercise to build a contacts list for the eager young junior college graduate they eventually hire to be the entire ticket sales "staff". Using their own cellphone & the laptop they got as a graduation present.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->