ECHL Hockey in St. John's, NL 2018-19 ?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If they wanted a dog theme, I would've recommended the Newfoundland Labradors.

Double connection.
well, I think the NL part of that covers it because it's always been St. John's...... new era, new identity, I'm not sure Labrador province actually has a city or the arena, tbth....

Welcome back/home TO pro hockey NL Hockey fans, it's been a long struggle for Deacon to be able to pull this off as fast as they did, and welcome NL Growlers to a friendly rivalry in the North Division, this coming season and years to come

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Great Logo and it will be well received in the city.

It's simple but yet strong.

Hopefully the product will be good (as good as it can be for the ECHL).

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Great Logo and it will be well received in the city.

It's simple but yet strong.

Hopefully the product will be good (as good as it can be for the ECHL).

The ECHL product is a lot better than people give it credit for...but the officiating will make you want to slam your head into the seat in front of you.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
The ECHL product is a lot better than people give it credit for...but the officiating will make you want to slam your head into the seat in front of you.

Good to know. I am a little ignorant to the league itself... lower tier, and rough/sloppy in most cases is most I've heard about the league. A lesser AHL *shrugs*. I know there have been some really good players play there.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Wow, I really dig the logo. I like how they incorporated the Newfoundland name instead of just St. John's, that I didn't expect. I also like the serious looking logo. Did a very good job putting it together.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I look at the ECHL officiating as promoted SPHL officials who weren't given enough games per season in the lower league to make all of the stupid decisions they had in them.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Good to know. I am a little ignorant to the league itself... lower tier, and rough/sloppy in most cases is most I've heard about the league. A lesser AHL *shrugs*. I know there have been some really good players play there.

It's a lot more wide open, generally because players have some deficiencies in their games that need to be worked on before getting to the AHL. And like all levels of hockey, a good goaltending tandem is A MUST because they're going to see a decent number of shots.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
well, I think the NL part of that covers it because it's always been St. John's...... new era, new identity, I'm not sure Labrador province actually has a city or the arena, tbth....
The province is "Newfoundland and Labrador". Only 8% of the provinces population lives in Labrador, and many of those are native or of aboriginal descent. There have been some attempts to break free and have self-governance, but at least for now it is one province.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I hear a lot of chatter about travel to St. John's and recommending flying instead of taking the ferry. I saw videos of the ferry, I know its off topic but does anyone have a any harrowing personal stories of ferry travel to and from St. John's to Nova Scotia lol?

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
It really isn't that bad, except for the amount of time. Lets say you are in Halifax. You have to drive 5-6 hours to Sydney, NS. Then it is a six hour ferry ride to Port-aux-Basques. Then you have a 10-11 hour drive to St. John's. So conservatively that 21 hours, or you can take a 1 ½ hour flight.

I'm 50 ish, I've been to Europe twice, Hawaii twice, NYC three times, been to Anaheim, and Florida more times than I can count. But I've only used the ferry for one driving trip in 1996.

Reactions: 210

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
It really isn't that bad, except for the amount of time. Lets say you are in Halifax. You have to drive 5-6 hours to Sydney, NS. Then it is a six hour ferry ride to Port-aux-Basques. Then you have a 10-11 hour drive to St. John's. So conservatively that 21 hours, or you can take a 1 ½ hour flight.

I'm 50 ish, I've been to Europe twice, Hawaii twice, NYC three times, been to Anaheim, and Florida more times than I can count. But I've only used the ferry for one driving trip in 1996.

The other ferry route is 16 hours correct?

Growler

May 16, 2018
How many non-ECHL contracts are allowed on an ECHL roster? i.e. AHL contracts.

Growler

May 16, 2018
Correct. In addition, ECHL teams can exempt two players from that five game minimum. Skaters on NHL ELCs or one-way AHL deals and goaltenders are automatically exempt.

Thanks. Then why don't NHL teams leverage the ECHL more by stockpiling their ECHL affiliate with AHL contracted players?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Thanks. Then why don't NHL teams leverage the ECHL more by stockpiling their ECHL affiliate with AHL contracted players?
THERE have always been 2 way contracts, Growler, St. John's went through that 3 times in its history, 1st the Leafs, then the Jets, then the Canadiens, nothing has changed since 1994 when the Leafs 1st arrived at Mile One.... you have the same union as you did when Newfoundland, was in the AHL, PHPA, Just as it always has been... some of the contracted players change, expense is one reason, even with local ownership, simply why do you need to stockpile AHL Contracted players, when you do have 2 way contracts between the 2 leagues, players will go to Toronto, instead of going from Orlando to Toronto, nothing changes there, any team in the AHL can recall a contracted player even if that team said player is on isn't their affiliate, that hasn't changed and likely hasn't independent of the affiliation....

the difference for those not used to the E doesn't mean we know how it operates, the Vet rule doesn't apply here as much as it did when it was instituted in the AHL.... SOME of it depends on where the players come from.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Probably at least two reasons. One is cost - why pay a bunch of guys on AHL contracts that you don't think have a future in the NHL. Most NHL teams don't care about winning in the AHL, they just want to develop their NHL prospects. Anybody on an AHL contract is not really an NHL prospect. Plus, if they need extra bodies for the AHL team during the season, they can just grab whatever ECHL player is having a good month and sign him to a PTO. Second is some players prefer being on an ECHL contract. Being on an AHL contract means you are getting paid more this season, but it also means you can only be called up to the AHL team you are contracted to. If you are on an ECHL contract you can get called up to any AHL team. So if you are offered an AHL deal with a team that is stacked at your position, you likely will end up spending the entire season in the ECHL. That makes your resume a little weaker for your next contract. If you were on an ECHL deal, put up big numbers, and got called up to a few different teams for 10 games each, your resume looks better for the next year. Plus you have made connections with other coaching staffs, and other players, so your network for your next job is a lot bigger.

Growler

May 16, 2018
Probably at least two reasons. One is cost - why pay a bunch of guys on AHL contracts that you don't think have a future in the NHL. Most NHL teams don't care about winning in the AHL, they just want to develop their NHL prospects. Anybody on an AHL contract is not really an NHL prospect. Plus, if they need extra bodies for the AHL team during the season, they can just grab whatever ECHL player is having a good month and sign him to a PTO. Second is some players prefer being on an ECHL contract. Being on an AHL contract means you are getting paid more this season, but it also means you can only be called up to the AHL team you are contracted to. If you are on an ECHL contract you can get called up to any AHL team. So if you are offered an AHL deal with a team that is stacked at your position, you likely will end up spending the entire season in the ECHL. That makes your resume a little weaker for your next contract. If you were on an ECHL deal, put up big numbers, and got called up to a few different teams for 10 games each, your resume looks better for the next year. Plus you have made connections with other coaching staffs, and other players, so your network for your next job is a lot bigger.
Thanks for the response, those are some good reasons. I do however count 27 AHL contracts that have been parlayed into NHL contracts within the last 18 months and expect probably half a dozen or more the Summer (~30-35 NHL contracts in 24 months). Many of those players played in the ECHL and more than 100 NHL games have been played already by those 25 players. None of these guys are likely to be the next Steve Stamkos or whoever, but they are inexpensive players at times capable of filling out the bottom 10 of the 23 man roster. So, there is value here.

AHL teams loan other AHL teams players pretty regularly - maybe do this more? Not sure.

I just see more potential here worth mining. It is a philosophy change about the role of the farm system. GMs will need to sell the player about the advantages of staying in one system even if it risks playing more games in the ECHL vs. the AHL. One benefit will be that the player will get paid more. I agree the cost is an issue, but it is not a salary cap issue. Toronto, Islanders, Buffalo, Washington and Vancouver appear to be the teams taking most advantage.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
it's why the ECHL always touts how many players/coaches/officials/ executives and there was at minimum 600, over the history now being 31 years, which not many leagues can either track or highlight, and that's impressive, but why they track or highlight that is a question not even the most veteran fans, independent of league can just easily explain is just astounding.... I wish the AHL would track that historical aspect for these newcomers, even if they are from previous markets in other leagues and et all....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad