"ECHL filed a trademark for 'Central Hockey League'"?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'm not familiar with this gentleman from Hamilton, and I couldn't find any other sources on the topic with a simple web search. So I'll let the rest of you weigh in and/or speculate ...

Last edited:

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
I wonder if there is a rename/re-brand or they are going to split the league up into segments under one umbrella. It could be nothing too lol.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The ECHL is notorious for being a trademark hoarder. Just ask the Johnstown Not-The-Chiefs in the NAHL about it.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
ECHL to rebrand its obvious lol, they are going to become the IPHHL

Translation, Intellectual Property Holdings Hockey League

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
There's too much promotional capital invested in the ECHL name, even if it doesn't stand for anything. If there was a time to change the name, it would've come during the WCHL absorption.

It's likely to prevent another league from using it, given the ECHL absorbed the remnants of the CHL.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
My guess is they did this specifically for marketing purposes, IE selling throwback jerseys with the old CHL badging on it.

A more outlandish idea since people want to talk rebranding is now calling the league the Eastern & Central Hockey League since it's western teams are all but gone. At least you can keep the same logos and acronym.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->