210sportsblog.com

Attachments

• fight.jpg
    fight.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 19

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Not that there were any real old school enforcers left any more, but this really ends that officially. You can't carry a guy who is on the roster to fight every weekend if he is going to end up suspended for half the season.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Lame. Probably done for liability purposes.

I'd guess the Frankes in Fort Wayne aren't thrilled about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Curb fighting organically by imposing strict regulations towards fighting in Junior A/OHL, yet they still feel the need to enable sanctions at the professional level? Why? Ryan Crelin is as incompetent as it comes as a commissioner. Whether it is the mess of streaming games, knee-jerk suspensions dictated by social media, prohibitive copyright video guidelines that prevent exposure; what a joke this league has turned into.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Curb fighting organically by imposing strict regulations towards fighting in Junior A/OHL, yet they still feel the need to enable sanctions at the professional level? Why? Ryan Crelin is as incompetent as it comes as a commissioner. Whether it is the mess of streaming games, knee-jerk suspensions dictated by social media, prohibitive copyright video guidelines that prevent exposure; what a joke this league has turned into.

Everyone complained about McKenna, but McKenna got the little things right.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
There product isnt great and it's only going to get worst. I think they will fold eventually unless the nhl really ponnies up to assists. In highlights when you look at ahl clips the stand are barren because of the lack of action hitting and fighting, and that's a more skilled league now the echl will be even worse skill with no energy and fighting. The echl was the last real north American hockey league played the right way. Now the only league with no fight limit is the sphl and that level of hockey is pathetic. If you played jV in highschool you could get by playing in the sphl.

Last edited:

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Looks like the qc storm in the sphl are the only games I can go to live. I haven't seen a hockey fight at a live game in 7 years which was in the ushl. That's probably been a total of 25 games where I paid my hard earned money and I think only two were entertaining and none had fights. Including the last 3 years where I traveled to the quad cities got a hotel for my family go to a game to see real physical hockey being played and still haven't seen a fight. But at least there was animosity. I'm close to being done from even following this great sport. I'll spend my time going to more u of Iowa sports or minor league or highschool sports in the area (basketball wrestling football) or local mma fights. Because hockey is basically soccer pc culture ruined another thing. And once again fighting causes 5 percent of concussions in hockey and that was going back 5 years when players knew how to fight. Concussion protocol of not allowing concussed players back in or continue playing to soon was the real problem

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Hopefully the fights stat resets after preseason . otherwise Reading and Adirondack have at least six or seven guys each with one fight already after Friday nights game

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Looks like the qc storm in the sphl are the only games I can go to live. I haven't seen a hockey fight at a live game in 7 years which was in the ushl. That's probably been a total of 25 games where I paid my hard earned money and I think only two were entertaining and none had fights. Including the last 3 years where I traveled to the quad cities got a hotel for my family go to a game to see real physical hockey being played and still haven't seen a fight. But at least there was animosity. ...
Check the Storm schedule for games vs. Peoria after the New Year. Those two teams will have played a pre-season game & 6 regular season games through December 2019. Six more are scheduled in pairs the rest of the SPHL season, in January & February & early April (4 of the 6 in Moline). Per hockey tradition, Game 2 of a weekend set is most likely to yield the most opportunities for displays of "animosity." It helps your cause that the Storm head coach, Dave Pszenyczny, used to play for the Rivermen. He also has at least 6 former Peoria players on his training camp roster.

If those dates don't suit your own schedule, the Storm play Evansville 11 times this season with 6 of them in Moline. Only one of those QC home games is in 2020, but the two teams could be fighting for a final playoff spot by then.

Reactions: vandymeer13

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Hopefully the fights stat resets after preseason . otherwise Reading and Adirondack have at least six or seven guys each with one fight already after Friday nights game
Interestingly, despite the line brawl, with at least four simultaneous fights, plus a couple fights later on, the refs only gave out four fighting penalties, two to each team. Everyone else got roughing penalties. I'm wondering if this will continue into the regular season, where "fights" are penalized as "fighting", but as double minors for roughing, so that even fewer players will reach the ten fight limit.

Reactions: 210

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I'm wondering if this will continue into the regular season, where "fights" are (not) penalized as "fighting", but as double minors for roughing, so that even fewer players will reach the ten fight limit.
Will they reduce "murder" to consecutive "manslaughter" penalties, too? :rolleyes:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Interestingly, despite the line brawl, with at least four simultaneous fights, plus a couple fights later on, the refs only gave out four fighting penalties, two to each team. Everyone else got roughing penalties. I'm wondering if this will continue into the regular season, where "fights" are penalized as "fighting", but as double minors for roughing, so that even fewer players will reach the ten fight limit.

I don't think referees changed their calls on what was a fight in the AHL when they originally passed this rule, so I'm not expecting ECHL refs to either...but time will tell.

therealmvphaha

Feb 28, 2019
I don't think referees changed their calls on what was a fight in the AHL when they originally passed this rule, so I'm not expecting ECHL refs to either...but time will tell.

I am sure you have seen that they have indeed done that. I have seen many instances when fights got turned into four minute roughing's. I read a blog from Allen that said a player told him the refs are doing this to help them with their fight count.

Reactions: sabremike and 210

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I am sure you have seen that they have indeed done that. I have seen many instances when fights got turned into four minute roughing's. I read a blog from Allen that said a player told him the refs are doing this to help them with their fight count.

That has exactly happened...much to the chagrin of many who follow the AHL.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
It's a win-win. At the end of the season they can point to the fact that they made a rule change to reduce fighting, and show the stats to back up that it worked. The number of fighting majors is way down! In the meantime they get the product that a lot of fans want to see. I hear it at almost every game "why don't they fight more", "ref, let them fight", etc. I think the team owners would like to have it both ways. Enough fights to draw the fans who want it - enough stats and data to show the lawyers, reporters, and fans who don't want it that they are doing something to reduce it.

Reactions: 210

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
So, what's the over/under on the number of players getting to ten fights this season? Without looking at the stats to see where everyone is right now, I'm going to guess not more than ten players get ten fights by the end of the year.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
So, what's the over/under on the number of players getting to ten fights this season? Without looking at the stats to see where everyone is right now, I'm going to guess not more than ten players get ten fights by the end of the year.

I'll take the under...right now the Railers, who are second in the ECHL in penalty minutes, don't have a guy that has three fights that count toward the 10-fight maximum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->