ECHL 2020-21 Season Plans

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I thought Idaho was a safe bet to come back in the second group. Now hearing that they are struggling to come back. 50/50 at best as of right now. Probably the most important single team out right now. Very important travel partner for Utah.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I thought Idaho was a safe bet to come back in the second group. Now hearing that they are struggling to come back. 50/50 at best as of right now. Probably the most important single team out right now. Very important travel partner for Utah.

That also calls into question if Utah is really going to play - I'd bet Utah is looking towards sitting out and Idaho knows that they can't make it if they play a season on a travel island.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
That also calls into question if Utah is really going to play - I'd bet Utah is looking towards sitting out and Idaho knows that they can't make it if they play a season on a travel island.
Utah is beginning play in the first group of teams on December 11.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
If Utah was reliant on Idaho starting, I dont think they would have picked the first group. I think they'll play but theyll struggle.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Hearing it is likely a team will opt out this week. Not too surprising given the opt out deadline is on November 30th. Likely a North division team as I've heard most central teams are primed to return.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Found this on FloHockey

We're just weeks away from the beginning of the 2020-21 season. Here are the most important dates to mark on your calendar for this season of hockey.
NOVEMBER 2020
26 — Players may report to Training Camp for team meetings, registration, physicals, etc. (*Only for teams beginning Season on Dec. 11)
27 — Training Camp opens, Members may begin on-ice sessions (*Only for teams beginning Season on Dec. 11)
DECEMBER 2020
9 — Opening Day Rosters due to League Office (3:00 pm ET) *For teams beginning Season on Dec. 11th
11 — 72-game regular season begins for 13 teams
31 — Players may report to Training Camp for team meetings, registration, physicals, etc. (*Only for teams beginning Season on Jan. 15)
JANUARY 2021
1 — Training Camp opens, Members may begin on-ice sessions (*Only for teams beginning Season on Jan. 15)
2 — Overseas Deadline (3:00 pm ET)
10 — Active Rosters cut down from 21 to 20 for teams who started Season on Dec. 11 (by 3:00 pm ET)
13 — Opening Day Rosters due to League Office (3:00 pm ET) *For teams beginning Season on Jan. 15
15 — 62-game regular season begins for remaining teams who opt-in to 2020-21 Season
FEBRUARY 2021
14 — Active Rosters cut down from 21 to 20 for teams who started season on Jan. 15 (by 3:00 pm ET)
APRIL 2021
2 — Jersey Reversal Date
MAY 2021
TBD — Recall/Assignment Deadline (11:59 pm local time); refer to ECHL Playing Rule 2(c)
TBD — ECHL Trade Deadline (3:00 pm ET)
JUNE 2021
4 — Last day to place a Player on Waivers (5:00 pm ET)
6 — Last day of 2020-2021 ECHL Regular Season
7 — Submission of Playoff Rosters due (3:00 pm ET)
9 — 2021 Kelly Cup Playoffs begin
JULY 2021
1 — Protected Lists due (3:00 pm ET)
5 — Future Considerations Trade Deadline (3:00 pm ET)
8 — Season Ending Rosters due (3:00 pm ET)
9 — First day for Players to sign contracts for 2021-22 Season
23 — Qualifying Offers due to Players for 2021-22 Season (11:59 pm ET)
24 — Start of 2021-22 Playing Season
AUGUST 2021
9 — Qualifying Offers expire automatically (11:59pm ET)
16 — Restricted Free Agency Ends (11:59pm ET)

Edit: this does not include the 11/30/20 opt-in deadline

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Someone want to fill me on the opt out deadline on 11/30/2020.... I hadn't heard anything about that. Despite my skepticism about the Mariners playing, I can't imagine them making that decision in two weeks time especially where their season wouldn't begin until Jan. 15th.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
Someone want to fill me on the opt out deadline on 11/30/2020.... I hadn't heard anything about that. Despite my skepticism about the Mariners playing, I can't imagine them making that decision in two weeks time especially where their season wouldn't begin until Jan. 15th.
No idea where that date is coming from, I haven't seen it anywhere except Atlantian's posts.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It was shared in an article with a conversation from the Komets captain about wanting to join the league before the 11/30 deadline. I guess the person who posted it on here has since removed it. Teams have to opt in by the 30th in order for them to have a schedule and everything ready for them far enough in advance to start their season in January. I am not 100% sure if it is a firm date, but I would believe so.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I don't think the league ever said that publically. However, if the team is going to play on Jan 15, and open training camp on Dec 31, they are going to need to have arrangements in place for apartments for the players by the end of November at the latest as just one example. Plus the league will need to have the final roster of teams by then to make up a schedule and get it distributed by mid December so teams can start selling tickets. (not to mention ordering jerseys, pucks, sticks, arranging promotional items, committing to the arena so they can hire and schedule game night staff, scheduling with a bus company, blocking out hotel rooms, etc etc. There is no way they could wait until mid to late December to decide to play on Jan 15th and get everything in place in time to do that.

In a normal year teams are signing leases and hiring staff in July for training camp at the end of September. One month lead time is about as tight as they can manage.

Reactions: Atlantian and JMCx4

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So you're saying both the north and the central are on the chopping block. I see the majority of the central going dormant but not all.

Ultimately, state guidelines on indoor gatherings will kill off some teams. Ohio and Michigan will undoubtedly institute guidelines that will prevent fans from attending games. So take out Toledo, Cincy, and Kalamazoo.

Without day trips to Toledo, Cincinnati, and Reading, Wheeling can't operate without losing enormous amounts of money. Cross them off.

That leaves Indy and Fort Wayne on a geographical island. Could they play? Probably, because Indiana is averse to seeing the reality of the pandemic. But the Frankes aren't successful team owners because they're stupid. Fort Wayne won't play, and Indy won't go it alone.

Reactions: Roadhog

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Ultimately, state guidelines on indoor gatherings will kill off some teams. Ohio and Michigan will undoubtedly institute guidelines that will prevent fans from attending games. So take out Toledo, Cincy, and Kalamazoo.

Without day trips to Toledo, Cincinnati, and Reading, Wheeling can't operate without losing enormous amounts of money. Cross them off.

That leaves Indy and Fort Wayne on a geographical island. Could they play? Probably, because Indiana is averse to seeing the reality of the pandemic. But the Frankes aren't successful team owners because they're stupid. Fort Wayne won't play, and Indy won't go it alone.
I think this is reasonable to a point. I think Ohio teams are out for sure. Kzoo I don't see playing, but I am skeptical because they already put their ice in. That wouldn't happen if they werent expecting to play. Indy is In and FTW got special permission to increase their capacity to about 4k. Wheeling never makes money and as long as they have the Indiana teams I think they will play. But everything at this point is speculation. Just gotta wait for 2pm.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I think this is reasonable to a point. I think Ohio teams are out for sure. Kzoo I don't see playing, but I am skeptical because they already put their ice in. That wouldn't happen if they werent expecting to play. Indy is In and FTW got special permission to increase their capacity to about 4k. Wheeling never makes money and as long as they have the Indiana teams I think they will play. But everything at this point is speculation. Just gotta wait for 2pm.

Those teams may not be out as of today.

As I said regarding Kalamazoo putting in ice, "The Titanic had lifeboats." Some of the teams that are pulling out were expecting to play.

When the financials make turning a profit or a de minimis loss impossible, Fort Wayne will pull out regardless of what special permission they may have.

Just because Wheeling loses a little money each year doesn't mean they're willing to lose a lot of money this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad