Post-Game Talk: ECF GAME 4 - SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccmhockey

Aug 18, 2010
Boston
Congrats Boston bro’s, the jealousy most of us have for you sports fans up there is off the charts.

Does anyone think Pres will be in attendance for any of the SCF games?
Thank you, sir.

I honestly think a lot of us still don't realize just how truly blessed we have been to witness the last two decades of Boston sports. For me personally, I'm not sure it has even sunk in yet that the B's are in the Stanley Cup Finals. But man, am I beyond stoked for this series!

I think it's a safe bet Pres will be in attendance for a few of these games, no doubt. He's insufferable but I love that guy, HAHA.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
As someone who lived through the down years of 1987-2001, I love the run this city is on and will never take it for granted as it could be over in the blink of an eye.

The majority of Boston fans remember the dark times and the cockiness comes from the youngins who were born after 2001.
As someone who lived through the UP years of 1970-1982-ish and then 88-92, Then the worst of times IMO 1992 through 1997? when Pat Burns came along and then again after the 2004 - 2007 it's been a beautiful roller coaster ride. Deep low's, VERY high highs and a lot of weirdness in between. The Joey Juneau "should learn to yodel" the benching of Neely and Stevens going back to MacTavish killing a girl while drunk driving, Normande Leivelle's head trauma I can't believe that I saw 2011, 2013 and now maybe a Stanley Cup this year. I had friends say "you still watch those losers, they'll NEVER win the cup again." Well, they aren't my friends any more! Brushed 'em the f*** off! GO BRUINS!

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Not sure I agree with 13 being a better roster but refresh my memory:

Seidenberg was injured or was that the year prior late in the series? Or did he come back from a knee injury and wasn’t the same?

Lucic - Krejci - horton
Marchand - Bergeron - daugavins?/Seguin
Peverley - Kelly - Daugavins/Seguin
Paille? - Campbell - Thornton

Correct?

On d it was

Chara - Seidenberg (or he was injured or recovering from one ?
Redden - Bartkowski
Krug - Mcquaid

Up front;

Our current top line is better, no question. Lucic was slowing down, Krejci was good but not as good as Bergeron is now, and Horton as we now know had a shoulder injury and was on the verge of learning of his degenerative back issue. Pastrnak is a better goal scorer and playmaker even without factoring in Horton’s health problems. His speed also would have given the Hawks more problems

Debrusk vs Marchand then is somewhat of a wash. Marchand had more experience and was better defensively, but he hadn’t caught on offensively yet and I’d argue Jake is a better player offensively NOW then Marchand was then. If I recall Marchand also went cold in the playoffs and was an elephant in the room for awhile

Krejci now is a wash for Bergeron then, offensively, maybe a slight edge to Krejci now...Bergeron has the edge on defense.

Backes, Hell Kuhlman I take over Kaspars any day of the week. Seguin was superior to all but as we remember, he didn’t show up when it mattered. So results wise I take Backes.

I give the win to our current second line.

Well, kelly was a hell of a grind center but had little to no offense. He scores some big goals in key moments absolutely but not consistently enough. I give the offensive edge to Coyle and I like coyles size and style of play better too, better skater. Kelly has a defensive wizard though and a better faceoff guy.

Peverley is a wash or better than JoJo in every way except puck handling and playmaking. Marcus has shown us some real talent at times these playoffs that have also resulted in goals on multiple occasions, a few times when we seriously needed it. That’s a close call. I remember 2011 Peverley being better than 2013 Peverley but maybe that’s just rose colored glasses for the end results

Heinen is far superior to Kaspars, and better defensively and a smarter all around player than Seguin then, but obviously lacks the offensive talent and speed - however once again, Seguin failed to consistently show up on the score sheet.

I’ll take our current 3rd line

The fourth line is a tough call. Our current 4th line is the closest thing to the merlot boys we’ve seen since, but they probably have more offensive talent.

For nostalgia sake and give I already have it 3 for the current team, I’ll give this one to 2013

So 3 to 1 on offense

Now for the defense

You have a much older Chara with a much better Charlie McAvoy compared to a younger more prime Chara with a slowing down and injured Seidenberg

That’s a tough call, but personally I take the current pair because of The stud in 73 more than anything. Chara to me had some really rough years and stretches in a while back. Hell that year he was still 35-36 and before he changed his diet and work our regimen so it’s not like we’re talking about 50 points 30ish year old Chara

This second pair from 2013 was trash and a big reason we didn’t beat the hawks. This year hands down, Carlo and Krug are a force at times

I’ll take 2013 bottom pair, Clifton/Moore/Gryzz have all played well but a well skating engaged Mcquaid and a hot n fresh Krug is a superior pair. I think Krug had like 5 goals in the rangers series? Lol

So that’s 2 to 1 for the current team

This isn’t a great bruins team, but it’s a very good bruins team and I think they’re superior to the 13 team. This team and I say this with complete seriousness, I think would have beaten that hawks team.

Better more balanced scoring, an elite brad Marchand, no passengers, better more mobile d and...a very hot Rask. One of the big reasons we beat the penguins so badly was totally Rask...it wasn’t because the team in front of him were world beaters. We’re getting the same Rask now.

He fell off a bit against the hawks but still went long stretches of elite play in that series, I think we just didn’t have the firepower and quickness to compete in the end with Chicago, I think this team would skate circles around that hawks team I really do.

Does comparing the coaches count? Because then it just becomes unfair :laugh:

Reactions: Mainehockey33

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
As someone who lived through the down years of 1987-2001, I love the run this city is on and will never take it for granted as it could be over in the blink of an eye.

The majority of Boston fans remember the dark times and the cockiness comes from the youngins who were born after 2001.
Great post.

I tell people all the time that what Boston endured between 1986 and 2001 was more than enough payment for what we’re enjoying today.

For example...

Len Bias.
Reggie Lewis.
Lisa Olson.
Game 6.
The Patriots thisclose to moving.
Losing to the Oilers. Twice.
Losing to the Penguins. Twice.
The Red Sox being the Red Sox.
The Rick Pitino years.
Not getting Tim Duncan.
Super Bowl XXXI.
The Tuna going to the Jets.
The Fellowship of the Miserable.
Loserville.

I remember ALL of it. If I missed anything, I assure you it’s because I’m pressed for time.

Nobody with four major sports teams ever had a worse 15 year span across the board.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Great post.

I tell people all the time that what Boston endured between 1986 and 2001 was more than enough payment for what we’re enjoying today.

For example...

Len Bias.
Reggie Lewis.
Lisa Olson.
Game 6.
The Patriots thisclose to moving.
Losing to the Oilers. Twice.
Losing to the Penguins. Twice.
The Red Sox being the Red Sox.
The Rick Pitino years.
Not getting Tim Duncan.
Super Bowl XXXI.
The Tuna going to the Jets.
The Fellowship of the Miserable.
Loserville.

I remember ALL of it. If I missed anything, I assure you it’s because I’m pressed for time.

Nobody with four major sports teams ever had a worse 15 year span across the board.
Reggie and Len :(

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Reggie and Len :(

What could have been?

There’s a game that ESPN Classic used to play once or twice a year that featured Bias’s Maryland Terrapins vs. Michael Jordan’s North Carolina Tar Heels.

Being the overly sensitive baby that I am, I’ve never been able watch the whole game. However, I have heard it said that back then Bias was the better of the two.

I was almost a teenager when that happened, and the death of Lenny Bias played no small role in keeping me away from cocaine.

Never touched it once - ever.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Not sure I agree with 13 being a better roster but refresh my memory:

Seidenberg was injured or was that the year prior late in the series? Or did he come back from a knee injury and wasn’t the same?

Lucic - Krejci - horton
Marchand - Bergeron - daugavins?/Seguin
Peverley - Kelly - Daugavins/Seguin
Paille? - Campbell - Thornton

Correct?

On d it was

Chara - Seidenberg (or he was injured or recovering from one ?
Redden - Bartkowski
Krug - Mcquaid

The roster for game 6 of that series (listed in order of TOI):

Forwards: Krejci, Horton, Lucic, Marchand, Seguin, Bergeron, Peverley, Kelly, Paille, Soderberg, Jagr, Thornton

D: Chara, Ference, Boychuk, Seidenberg, Krug, McQuaid

Bergeron and Horton were playing injured for sure. I believe Chara was, and Seidenberg might have been as well. The next year was the year he blew out his ACL right after Christmas.

Daugavins was the only other player to dress in the Final, and Campbell was the only other forward to dress in the rest of the playoffs. Bartkowski, Redden and Hamilton all played some games throughout the postseason, but none of them dressed in the Final

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Good for you, but if you lived in center of habs fans and had to live with years of sarcams and attacks you would when it is your time
May be you are a saint ....it is nice from you !!!
Me when i receive 25 attacks i answer with pleasure
Go bruins
I did live right in center of habs fans from late 60's to middle of 80's pretty much their best time.
Lived North shore of Montreal and working in Montreal.

Now living in Toronto.
You learn to tune out the delusional fans.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
@Kate08 We hit rock bottom in 2001 when the Stanley Cup came to Boston City Hall

STANLEY CUP IN BOSTON?

They gathered at City Hall Plaza for a midday rally, searching for a glimpse of the Stanley Cup and their returning hockey son.

But as much as they congregated to welcome Ray Bourque back to Boston, there was an underlying message Wednesday from the thousands at City Hall. About 15 minutes before Bourque carried the Cup onto the stage, fans began a revealing chant.

"Harry sucks, Harry sucks."

Harry, as in Harry Sinden, the man who has been the face of the Boston Bruins for 30 years. Make no mistake: The rally to honor Bourque was as much about venting for hockey fans who have not seen a championship since 1972.

"They don't care about the fans," said former season ticket holder Mike Sullivan of Milton, Mass. "They're in it for the money, that's all. They got rid of Ray Bourque because they had no chance of winning a Stanley Cup. I'm happy for Bourque, but I won't root for the Bruins."

Sullivan had season tickets for nine years, but he hasn't been to a game since Bourque was traded 15 months ago. Judging by the crowd Wednesday, that's a common reaction -- there were as many Colorado Avalanche jerseys in the crowd as there were Bruins shirts. Among the signs: "Why can't we get players like that?"

Another sign: "Harry fell asleep 22 years ago and he is still sleeping," a reference to a statement by Sinden in the Boston Globe earlier this week. Asked for his reaction to Bourque's winning a title, Sinden said he fell asleep before Game 7 ended Saturday.

Sinden was awake and seething Wednesday, though. He reportedly asked city officials to cancel the rally because he felt there should be no Stanley Cup rally in Boston unless the Bruins are hosting.

"I think it's unnecessary," Sinden said on Boston's WEEI Wednesday morning. "I think our admiration is for Ray, certainly not for anybody else. ... It's somewhat embarrassing."

But considering the Bruins haven't been in the playoffs the past two years and haven't played for a Cup in 11 years, it could be awhile before they are holding a rally at City Hall.

"The Red Sox will probably win a World Series before the Bruins win a Cup," said Mike Moreira of Taunton, Mass. "That's how bad it is."

Of course, the title drought goes beyond hockey. Boston hasn't hosted a title party since the Celtics last won an NBA championship in 1986. Sports fans in Boston will apparently take any title they can get, even if they are gazing at Denver's Stanley Cup.

How embarrassing.

"But considering the Bruins haven't been in the playoffs the past two years...."

Wow, long suffering fans indeed.

I followed the Bruins & Sox in the 60's. I was very appreciative of the Bruins teams after that. Only 1996 was really embarrassing (by design to get Thornton).

92187f_010614cup1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad