Game Analysis: EC Round 1: New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (PIT wins 4-1) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Been a huge Rangers fan my whole life. Watched every game, every period even through the dark years of no playoff hockey. Last night was the first time I ever turned off a playoff game, completely disgusted. How are you not prepared to play a must win game on home ice against a long time division rival is beyond me. There are no excuses. Everyone sucks from Hank on out. Coaches, players, leadership. Completely disgusted.

They don't deserve to come back in this series after that performance. Put us out of our misery on Saturday please, dust off the golf clubs and get us into the summer. And this is coming from someone who is generally positive when it comes to sticking with it and believing. Last night was so disappointing on so many levels it basically ended the season for me. This team isn't that bad and Pitt isn't that great. What a waste.

pac522

May 25, 2014
New Orleans
I didn't say a word last night. I was shell shoked. I don't feel much better this morning as I still feel like someone punched me in the gut.

If this team quit on its coach, I can respect that, if they quit on the NHL because they cant get a call, I can respect that too. But if they quit on each other and the fans well thats not acceptable.

But I didn't see that either. Thinking about this the entire time I was watching, I thought it looked like a heavy weight who was asked to throw a fight and he did everything in his power to actually show he was throwing the fight.

Why am I saying this? Well I can talk about this player or that player, but in the end when you throw up a goose egg as a team like that, theres still some fighting spirit in you. You're at least going to get down and dirty and throw some digs, let a few elbows fly, throw a few punches.

We weren't even afforded the entertainment of that, at least to know someone on this team actually had a pulse. I don't care who you are, as a man, you aint letting someone skate all over you like that, especially on your home ice without calling someone out on the ice.

What I saw last night was something much worse than the sum of all it's parts. It was a **** ***** show of epic proportions. And it hurt. I shouldn't have to restrain myself from punching my TV when I watch a hockey game, yet that is exactly what I did last night.

Boy, I can't wait for game 5, it's going to be fun waiting and not knowing whether I get a new TV out of ordeal. FFS someone put me out of my misery.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
AV has had an off year and so has the rest of the team. But you said to fire the coach today and the series is not over.

If they fire AV without a better option out there then that is an awful move. These same layers just can't get it done anymore and that's not his fault.

That's the thing... Who do you replace AV with? Who is the better option? Every time I ask that question, nobody answers it.

There's a bunch of moves AV has done this year that I didn't like - we all know those moves - but we don't make the Cup in '14 and win the Presidents Trophy in '15 without AV. Makes roster moves before you fire the head coach. Maybe get rid of Ulf before AV.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
What were AV's comments in his press conference? More about non executing and making plays with the puck?

How about he talks about how Pittsburgh outskated us all night, beat us to every loose puck, and won every board battle. Maybe he can throw in how they were breaking out of their zone no problem, clogging up shooting lanes, and slicing through the neutral zone like a hot knife through butter.

Maybe it's because AV said what Rosasco told him to say.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That's the thing... Who do you replace AV with? Who is the better option? Every time I ask that question, nobody answers it.

There's a bunch of moves AV has done this year that I didn't like - we all know those moves - but we don't make the Cup in '14 and win the Presidents Trophy in '15 without AV. Makes roster moves before you fire the head coach. Maybe get rid of Ulf before AV.

I'm not sure if you saw his post, but Inferno listed 5-6 good choices a few pages back. I like the idea of going after CHI or LA's assistant coaches.

Maybe it's because AV said what Rosasco told him what to say.

The latter part of my post was a rant, but I was honestly curious about what he said in the presser. What is his usual comments?

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
All we need to do. Enough of the doom and gloom. Save that **** for when we lose a 4th game.

Go out and win one road game, and bring it back to MSG on Monday. Take it from there.

I don't ever ****ing give up until it's over.

:rangers

One puck, one shift, one period.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Sensationalist newspaper sells paper with sensationalized backpage headline. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

You know me. I bash Hank repeatedly.

This back page is completely unwarranted.

He looked absolutely defeated and visibly upset last night on the bench. Looked like a guy that might be thinking it was his last home game.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Who isn't a better option than AV at this moment?

1) His system is supposed to increase scoring, it's not even close to doing that. 22 home games without scoring more than 3 goals at home.

2) He makes horrendous personnel decisions both in who to dress and where they play.

3) He is bad with young players.

4) He has been involved in numerous poor decisions when it comes to bringing in and letting players go.

He has always been a coach who stressed the fact that a team needs to move the puck quickly, yet he relies on Marc Staal and Dan Girardi more than Keith Yandle. He was part of letting Stralman go in favor of Girardi and Dan Boyle, a guy who was made for his system.

Fact is, AV was gifted two of the best goalies in history in Luongo and Lundqvist. What other coach has had that? We are now trending in the exact direction Vancouver did with AV. It's not a coincidence.

Last night was unfortunate. This series is unfortunate. It's not what any of us wished for. But the majority of us who have watched this team this year, I don't believe we think it's shocking.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
We're not firing AV.

I hate when people say "he didn't have them ready to play". F off with that. These are professionals, its incumbent upon themselves to make sure they are ready to go. No pro player should need someone else, whether it be a coach or another player, to get their motor going.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
To me the saddest part, Glass, Redden, Brashear, Pyatt, Powe, Paille, Stoll, Halpern, Hamrlik, McCabe, Clowe, Etem, Scott, Malone, Pyatt, Rupp, Asham, Lombardi, Kostka, Lisin, Woywitka, Voros, Kotalik, Todd White, Hollweg, Olli Jokinen, Isbister, Ozolinsh

The player evaluation has always been off at least to a point, and that is not going to change because the same guy who ultimately made those choices is still going to be here and even if he bows out, the new guy is just more of the same.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I didn't say a word last night. I was shell shoked. I don't feel much better this morning as I still feel like someone punched me in the gut.

If this team quit on its coach, I can respect that, if they quit on the NHL because they cant get a call, I can respect that too. But if they quit on each other and the fans well thats not acceptable.

But I didn't see that either. Thinking about this the entire time I was watching, I thought it looked like a heavy weight who was asked to throw a fight and he did everything in his power to actually show he was throwing the fight.

Why am I saying this? Well I can talk about this player or that player, but in the end when you throw up a goose egg as a team like that, theres still some fighting spirit in you. You're at least going to get down and dirty and throw some digs, let a few elbows fly, throw a few punches.

We weren't even afforded the entertainment of that, at least to know someone on this team actually had a pulse. I don't care who you are, as a man, you aint letting someone skate all over you like that, especially on your home ice without calling someone out on the ice.

What I saw last night was something much worse than the sum of all it's parts. It was a **** ***** show of epic proportions. And it hurt. I shouldn't have to restrain myself from punching my TV when I watch a hockey game, yet that is exactly what I did last night.

Boy, I can't wait for game 5, it's going to be fun waiting and not knowing whether I get a new TV out of ordeal. FFS someone put me out of my misery.

This is an extremely interesting take.

It was obviously a case of a team laying down and quitting on the coach, or a team that was actively showing that they were throwing the game.

You're right, unless this group is nursing injuries that nobody knows about, athletes don't just roll over and die when there are games left to be played.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
I'm not sure if you saw his post, but Inferno listed 5-6 good choices a few pages back. I like the idea of going after CHI or LA's assistant coaches.

The latter part of my post was a rant, but I was honestly curious about what he said in the presser. What is his usual comments?

On wanting a compete level, "it's definitely out of character for this group to come up with this type of performance. I don't think it was a matter of lack of will, we just picked a very bad night to have a very bad game. All we can focus on now is getting back to work tomorrow and that is what we are going to do."
On Henrik Lundqvist, "We lost 5-0 tonight, this is a team loss. I won't single out one individual. As a whole group we had a hard time and the results went accordingly."
On the PK, "they are a good team and have some different looks and we haven't found our trigger points yet. We don't have a choice and we need to be better in the next game."
How do you motivate them to get going, "to continue playing we are going to have to have a better performance and I believe that this group is highly motivated and wants to do well. We picked a bad night to have a bad game. We will get back to work tomorrow and get ready for the next game."

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/what-alain-vigneault-said-after-game-4/173824382

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Glad I didn't watch or go last night (on my own 26th birthday even), and glad I stopped spending any money on this team early in the year. Wake me up when I'm 46 and this team is competitive again.

eyedoc

May 1, 2015
This one is on AV...All year AV has had the opportunity to have McIlrath and Skjei play and gain some experience just in case they were needed. It would have given Girardi, Boyle and Staal some much needed time off. It would have given them fresher legs come playoff time. It also would have given them experience if an injury occurred late in the season. Instead he runs these old guys into the ground, fails to develop our future and enters the playoffs with a defense that cant clear a ****ing zone.

Nov 5, 2007
Jersey City
is it that manly tin cup whiskey you're giving me a shot of?

you know the commercial played during rangers game alot....the one where manly mountain/cliff climbing has something to do with guys drinking whiskey at the top?

if that's the whiskey you are talking about I'll pass:laugh:

I've had this bottle of Glenlivet sitting here for a while.

Funny that youre complaining about the whiskey and not the revolver though. Thats fine. :D

Glad I didn't watch or go last night (on my own 26th birthday even), and glad I stopped spending any money on this team early in the year. Wake me up when I'm 46 and this team is competitive again.

They are competitive. They just lose when they do compete.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
To me the saddest part, Glass, Redden, Brashear, Pyatt, Powe, Paille, Stoll, Halpern, Hamrlik, McCabe, Clowe, Etem, Scott, Malone, Pyatt, Rupp, Asham, Lombardi, Kostka, Lisin, Woywitka, Voros, Kotalik, Todd White, Hollweg, Olli Jokinen, Isbister, Ozolinsh

The player evaluation has always been off at least to a point, and that is not going to change because the same guy who ultimately made those choices is still going to be here and even if he bows out, the new guy is just more of the same.

Jared Stoll, Emerson Etem, Eric Staal...Gorton had an awful season which ought to have us all very concerned. Got Stalberg right.

Who is Director of Pro Scouting, anyway?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Back to basics for game 5...

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller - Brassard - Zucc
Lindberg - Staal - Stalberg
Hrivik - Moore - Fast

McD - Klein
Yandle - McIlrath
Staal - Boyle

Lundqvist

Put your best foot forward in potentially your last game.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Back to basics for game 5...

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller - Brassard - Zucc
Lindberg - Staal - Stalberg
Hrivik - Moore - Fast

McD - Klein
Yandle - McIlrath
Staal - Boyle

Lundqvist

Put your best foot forward in potentially your last game.

I think you forgot who the coach is

RonGreschner

Apr 9, 2007
Time to strip it down and trade some of the veteran players and get young cheap talent. This team has the feel of the early 1970's team a good team that just cant beat the best team for that year. See what you can get for Girardi, Nash Staal Moore and maybe even Henrik. Hank looks distracted this year don't know if he is pissed with Av's or just the team in general. Lets give McIlrath Skjei and Graves some minutes to go with McDonagh Klein. Resign Raanta see what Nieves and Buchneich have to offer. If Kreider and Hayes are looking for big contracts look to unload them too because they are to inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->