Eberle or Kadri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Right. Eberle only had Ales Hemsky ahead of him. Kadri had Tyler Bozak and Mikhail Grabovski. Not to mention the Leafs finished a whole one place ahead of Edmonton last year.

Kadri couldnt crack the weakest center lineup in the entire nhl (arguably). Not to mention he didnt impress at the WJC like Eberle did. Twice.

Give it up.

The comparison is a joke.

At this point, it seems like he is not really a center. At least not this year because he wasn't good enough on the faceoffs and a defensive liability. He played wing for about 80% of his games at the NHL level. I do think he still has a future at center but needs to get stronger and improve on the faceoffs which should happen as he gets stronger.

But if you want to argue cracking the roster then Kadri probably should have made the team last year when he had a great training camp but he was sent down to OHL because he was 177 lbs.

Kadri could have made this year's roster as well but Burke wanted to give him AHL time to get more mentally and physically prepared. He also wanted him to cut down on his turnovers and improve his defensive game. Now, that is something Kadri could learn in the NHL as well but it would take growing pains, something the team wasn't ready for because they were aiming for playoffs. Whether or not they made is a whole different story.

Like I said, the two are in completely different situations. Eberle also doesn't have the same problems as Kadri which are turnovers at the blueline or poor defense.

Luckily, for those who watched Kadri in his second stint will agree he was a completely different player and he was solid defensively (still got lost positionally at times) and really cut down on his turnovers.

It's probably a premature comparison, I think it would be better if we bring it up in a year or two.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Right. Eberle only had Ales Hemsky ahead of him. Kadri had Tyler Bozak and Mikhail Grabovski. Not to mention the Leafs finished a whole one place ahead of Edmonton last year.

Kadri couldnt crack the weakest center lineup in the entire nhl (arguably). Not to mention he didnt impress at the WJC like Eberle did. Twice.

Give it up.

The real joke is people like you who have no idea what they're even talking about. Kadri isn't a center.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
The real joke is people like you who have no idea what they're even talking about. Kadri isn't a center.

Not to mention, that he has Kulemin, MacArthur, Lupul and Kessel to contend with. He will be on the 3rd line next year with Bozak and Army. That's not easy depth to crack.

The same goes with the assumption that Eberle would obviously make our team. He is a RW, the same as Kessel, Kulemin, Armstrong and MacArthur. Does everyone think Ron Wilson and Burke are cool with 2 wingers out of position, especially one of which is a rookie? All 3 are at or near 60 pts. 2 of which had 30g seasons. Eberle's only shot at the leafs starting roster this year was top line LW. But Burke wouldn't give it Kadri based purely on his want of size there, and Kadri is bigger then Eberle. Kadri has also been good to dominant in 2 preseasons so far and now plays LW.

It's not that simple. The argument that he led the Oilers in scoring is weak. 43 pts isn't a lock on other teams. he'd be 5th in scoring on our team, if he was afforded the same opportunities.

But, like I said earlier. Eberle is certainly better now. No doubt about it. He still has the potential to be better long term as well, but that's not a given. I can't argue with the fact that most would take him over Kadri, but I don't think it's that far off. But to the point that some think he is better in every aspect, there is no truth to that. Kadri is faster then most in the league, let alone just Eberle, and his stick handling is top notch as well. It's his 2 best aspects by a country mile. Those combined give him a good chance at being a great offensive threat. But I think it's Eberle's smarts and hockey sense that put him above. It's what makes a lot of great players better then most.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

Give it up.

Hemsky played for the Regina Pats?

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
The Leafs are pretty much switching Kadri to a winger. He spent most of the time in the AHL this year playing the wing. The Leafs are a lot deeper on the wings than down the middle.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
The Leafs are pretty much switching Kadri to a winger. He spent most of the time in the AHL this year playing the wing. The Leafs are a lot deeper on the wings than down the middle.

Why would the Leafs do this? It makes no sense to me to make Kadri a winger when the team is weak in the middle and has depth on the wings. Are they still hoping that Bozak will develop into more than a third line centre?

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Why would the Leafs do this? It makes no sense to me to make Kadri a winger when the team is weak in the middle and has depth on the wings. Are they still hoping that Bozak will develop into more than a third line centre?

He is not good enough in the faceoffs and a defensive liability.

It may be a role that ease him into the future when he gets stronger and smarter defensively.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The Leafs are also disliked by the Canucks, Sens, Bruins, and Habs. So that might be a factor aswell. Although I have no idea why Canucks fans dislike the Leafs, not even in the same conference lol.

And Oilers fans aren't disliked? You even came up with your own comment on how we get so defensive over our prospects. You really don't need to come up with any theories for this..

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I take Eberle for the NEAR FUTURE. I think he's more NHL ready and is gonna continue to improve point production into next year. From Kadri, I wouldn't expect more than 40/45 pts NEXT YEAR. Eberle can do 60 maybe.

BUT like I said, it's only because Kadri doesn't have NHL speed or physical ability yet. I think he's more skilled, has surprisingly good vision and playmaking potential as well. So I'd probably go with Kadri in the long term. Basically, are you playing in a one year league or keeper league? Eberle's value is pretty high atm though and Kadri you might be able to buy low on unless a Leaf fan has him in your fantasy league.

PortlandWinterHawks

Dec 4, 2010
I am the liquor obviously has some leaf late going on so his opinion isn't really valid since it's biased.

this is my projection
Eberle = 35+35 guy who is clutch
Kadri = 25 + 40-50 guy who has a mean streak
MPS = 50 point to 80 point guy depending on how he hits his potential.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
He is not good enough in the faceoffs and a defensive liability.

It may be a role that ease him into the future when he gets stronger and smarter defensively.

I don't think I'd call him a defensive liability...

But he isn't the strongest guy, and he got manhandled in the draws a lot.

For the same reason, you wouldn't want a guy like Patrick Kane taking a lot of faceoffs.

Maybe once Nazem gets stronger he will play centre.

Tont

May 4, 2006
It's certainly early, but I don't see anything that makes Kadri stand out over Eberle at this point.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Yeah, same for cogliano and gagner.

Except Eberle in his rookie season is better than Cogliano and Gagner ever were. Especially Cogliano.

That's the weakeast arguement people have when it comes to Edmonton's young stars. "Lawlz what about Gagner, Cogliano and Nilsson?!?".

Hall, Eberle and MPS are much more talented then Cogliano, show more grit and heart then Nilsson ever did and are blessed with the physical gifts Gagner doesn't have. But keep on comparing them to each other.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Yeah, same for cogliano and gagner.

If the Oilers powerplay improves next season, Gagner could finish with 55-60 points. He played at a 40 point pace at even strength alone this season. Add 15-20 points on the powerplay(which isn't unrealistic) and he could come close.

...and I don't know why you're taking a shot at Gagner. If a 21 year old with nearly 300 NHL games and four 40+ point seasons is worth making fun of, what's a 20 year old AHLer?

I'm not bashing Kadri. I'm just saying you shouldn't be bashing Gagner.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm not bashing gagner or cogliano. But I don't get how after a rookie year everyone excepts players to improve statistically when in reality it happens half the time. And most of the players who improve are ones who had lower production. Gagner and cogliano both had 40 point rookie seasons and expectations were set that they ever reached.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think I'd call him a defensive liability...

But he isn't the strongest guy, and he got manhandled in the draws a lot.

For the same reason, you wouldn't want a guy like Patrick Kane taking a lot of faceoffs.

Maybe once Nazem gets stronger he will play centre.

I don't think he is a defensive liability anymore but in his first stint and spring training, he did look like one, particularly at center.

And I agree. Once he gets stronger, he will get better on the faceoffs.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
I doubt either team would trade them straight up for each other.

Ill go with the old ask me next year. Eberle walked into an awesome situation in Edmonton, one where it was nearly impossible not to make the team, it wasnt as easy for Kadri. I'm not a huge fan of either player, but I don't think we've seen the best from either one.

:laugh: Yeah, "lead the offense with Ryan Jones on your wing, kid!"

Awesome.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Luke Schenn or Colten Teubert

Pretty much what your asking. Only months apart, but the main diff is one has seen a lot more NHL oppurtunity than the other.

Luke Schenn is clearly head and shoulders better than Teubert will ever be.

Actually the real joke is people who make misleading comments like the one you just made in an attempt to discredit somebody. While imo Nazem Kadri should not be a center, he has been a center at every level including with the leafs.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I remember an MPS vs Kadri thread, Leafs fans said they think they are both pretty equal but would rather take Kadri because he is a center. Even when they drafted Kadri over MPS, many of them were upset and freaked out. I bet if we were to ask this question again, they would have another excuse. The reason why Leafs fans get so much hate imo is because, 1.They always get talked about by the media but thats not really the fans fault or anything so I dont blame them for that and 2.They make excuses to always have their player or team come out on top and that's what I hate bout Leafs fans the most.

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
Eberle should be able to show exactly how much high end talent he has playing with top players at the Worlds. It will be an eye opener as I highly doubt the Leafs fans posting in this thread have watched significant amounts of Oilers hockey this year (why the hell would they have?) No way any GM doesn't trade Kadri straight up for Eberle right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->