EBEL/ICE Hockey League General Discussion (3 clubs added for 2021-22)

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Look again that goal and you will see that something like that happens once in 1000 times.

I don't like how they developing domestic players, and nobody with common sense should be. "Lack of talent" is not theme of this conversation. We are talking about few players who are good/talented enough or have enough potential to be solid/regular EBEL players, but with current treatment they will never become that.

Jarcov and Jankovic usually get benched after they are on the ice for goal against, despite it's not directly their fault. Nice confidence build...Smolec, Kegalj are not even in the roster.

Rosandić got lucky because Kroselj is injured, played two very good games and club immediately signed Drew. Ok, nothing against Drew, but Rosandic should have started game against Znojmo because he, as backup goalie, posted numbers which, in every other club, should guarantee you to start next game.

You remember how they treated Trstenjak ? Our second most talented forward after Rendulić, they didn't give him ice even when Medvescak led with four or five goals.

Yeah, that bounce on Rosandic goal was weird but that goal was still on him. His weight was clearly on the wrong foot and he acted poorly imo, but he still had the good game and all.

So, what do you think why they hate domestic guys so much, and why are they deliberately ruining their progress and carreer?

Last edited:

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Not sure I follow. What credit?

he's bad, basically messed up every goal against Medveščak in first few games, still hasn't shown any offensive production (form what I understand that should be his thing), and yet he is on PP, I think I saw him even on PK and playing regularly for seven games and even his CV is basically MOL or AlpsHL level.

While homegrown youngsters (guys who should get chances, and they do everywhere in Europe), who don't cost "foreign" points and have much higher upside and marketing quality, are benched after first mistake, so I wonder, if they trusted a homgrown guys the way that they trust Privitera, wouldn't it benefit them more? And in place of Privitera maybe bought a quality foreigner that can make an impact immediately?

every homegrown player can play like he does (bad), so imagine a homegrown player playing 2nd line, PK, PP for seven games and Medveščak waiting for him and trusting him. I can't imagine that.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
he's bad, basically messed up every goal against Medveščak in first few games, still hasn't shown any offensive production (form what I understand that should be his thing), and yet he is on PP, I think I saw him even on PK and playing regularly for seven games and even his CV is basically MOL or AlpsHL level.

While homegrown youngsters (guys who should get chances, and they do everywhere in Europe), who don't cost "foreign" points and have much higher upside and marketing quality, are benched after first mistake, so I wonder, if they trusted a homgrown guys the way that they trust Privitera, wouldn't it benefit them more? And in place of Privitera maybe bought a quality foreigner that can make an impact immediately?

every homegrown player can play like he does (bad), so imagine a homegrown player playing 2nd line, PK, PP for seven games and Medveščak waiting for him and trusting him. I can't imagine that.

Yeah I agree with you on his poor game, but that may be the problem here. Do you think that Kegalj or Smolec can perform better than him? I dont know tbh, but I have some faith in coaching stuff to evalute the situation right. I say again, I dont see a reason why the club wouldnt give the domestic guys chance if they can play better or in the same level as some foreign players.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Yeah I agree with you on his poor game, but that may be the problem here. Do you think that Kegalj or Smolec can perform better than him? I dont know tbh, but I have some faith in coaching stuff to evalute the situation right. I say again, I dont see a reason why the club wouldnt give the domestic guys chance if they can play better or in the same level as some foreign players.

to me, the moment when you start doubting if foreign player in this league is better than homegrown youngster, his ship has sailed. I don't think that player in that role should be bad, I'm just saying that anybody can play like he does, while youngsters and club would benefit from that in a long run if "Smolecs" took his place.

To me it indicates they are not in this project for the long run. They are trying just to pull as much money while the iron is hot, not to create a professional club that would be around the long time.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
To me it indicates they are not in this project for the long run. They are trying just to pull as much money while the iron is hot, not to create a professional club that would be around the long time.

I wrote on croatian forum that fans should be happy if Medvescak will play Alps league within 4-5 seasons (this one included).

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
5-1 vs KAC

Let's enjoy it while we still have McIntyre, since he is 2 levels above EBEL league.
Too bad that he will soon leava for some stronger league.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Guy was a NHL backup and regular above .910 AHL-er and he is in his best years.
Golies like that are above this league quality and I still don't know wtf is he doing here.
He'll probably end back in KHL very soon.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Haven't seen any of Medvescak games yet. It looks like Simsic hasn't shown much so far, 4th line minutes probably, around 8 mins per game if anything at all. Will he be released soon? I wouldn't be all too surprised if i see him on Olimpija Alps League roster in near future.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Haven't seen any of Medvescak games yet. It looks like Simsic hasn't shown much so far, 4th line minutes probably, around 8 mins per game if anything at all. Will he be released soon? I wouldn't be all too surprised if i see him on Olimpija Alps League roster in near future.

No way he is playing 8 minutes per game. He usually plays few shifts with Jankovic and Jarcov. Cepon is playing in range of 7-8 minutes per game (not every game).

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
No way he is playing 8 minutes per game. He usually plays few shifts with Jankovic and Jarcov. Cepon is playing in range of 7-8 minutes per game (not every game).

Disappointing situation for him but i am not surprised to be honest. This is not the right way to gain confidence.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Disappointing situation for him but i am not surprised to be honest. This is not the right way to gain confidence.

Coach Cameron usually plays with only three lines, and 4th liners usually gets few shifts with players from first three lines. I can understand this policy if result is close, but to constantly playing with three lines and keeping #11, #23 and #50 on bench when result is 5:2 or 6:2 like in game against Bolzano, that is beyond me. No suprise if our top liners will be burned when playoffs come.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Coach Cameron usually plays with only three lines, and 4th liners usually gets few shifts with players from first three lines. I can understand this policy if result is close, but to constantly playing with three lines and keeping #11, #23 and #50 on bench when result is 5:2 or 6:2 like in game against Bolzano, that is beyond me. No suprise if our top liners will be burned when playoffs come.

I would go as far as saying, that Alps League would do more for Croatian hockey than EBEL at this point, or let's say would do more if we are talking about development of young players for the future. If you want to be more than cannon fodder in EBEL and you have relatively low number of domestic players available who can play on top line, you will always buy two lines of foreign forwards to do the job and keep you out of the bottom in the standings. Local guys will have hard time cracking top lines and getting those minutes necessary to make an impact and gain confidence and experience.

To be financially capable to have farm team in Alps League would do wonders for some of the local guys and consequently for Croatian hockey on the long run. Competition level there is rising, league is relatively good, that goes for teams who are in the upper part of the scale.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I would go as far as saying, that Alps League would do more for Croatian hockey than EBEL at this point, or let's say would do more if we are talking about development of young players for the future. If you want to be more than cannon fodder in EBEL and you have relatively low number of domestic players available who can play on top line, you will always buy two lines of foreign forwards to do the job and keep you out of the bottom in the standings. Local guys will have hard time cracking top lines and getting those minutes necessary to make an impact and gain confidence and experience.

To be financially capable to have farm team in Alps League would do wonders for some of the local guys and consequently for Croatian hockey on the long run. Competition level there is rising, league is relatively good, that goes for teams who are in the upper part of the scale.
That is not far fetched at all. Alpen league would serve perfectly for Croatian players. First it is (mostly) profesional league which requiers profesional approach, level is lower than in EBEL, but still much better they get in Slohokej (or newly formed IHL). If some of them shows in great light maybe they can get contract in some richer Alps club or in some league like EIHL or Magnus. Benefit for player and NT. That would be dream scenario for Croatian hockey, but there is one big (and key) obstruction known as Medvescak's board. They showed many times in past nine years they care little or not at all for Cro hockey. Alpen league is too expensive for what it could bring to them in terms of popularity, TV coverage, interviews with players in yellow magazines, PR sensationalism etc.

My long-term projection for Medvescak is simple - when there will be no money for EBEL they will simply let the club fails to pre-2009. status.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Yeah, it could only be done with some sort of national interest, government money or national company's money being deliberately flown into this project (it would complementary work like a charm with Medvescak as a semi-farming team) but that's another story and we know the likeliness of that happening.

Government's sponsored (or at least partially to start the project) Alps League team, to give opportunities to Croatian players to be successful and to be able to get those minutes on the ice necessary for gaining experiences and confidence, so some of them will be able to properly make next step. That being either Medvescak's EBEL team or as you said France or richer Italian Alps League teams. Breeding players this way will work well for Medvescak as well, i assume it will also gain popularity of the club if there would be more local boys playing for the team. It's hard to successfully run a pro sports team on the long run without homegrown players, unless you have a general sponsor like Red Bull for instance.

That would be pretty much perfect scenario for further development of Croatian hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->