EBEL/ICE Hockey League General Discussion (3 clubs added for 2021-22)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Well, I can only qoute Arthur Harris "They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind".

I would say that if you manage to compete in Alps League and be competitive with local boys getting ice time, then that's the best for Croatian hockey at the moment.

Stable club there is worth more in the long run, show business factor is down at this point of course but it was inevitable after all.

Reactions: pukovnik

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Solid resistance against Innsbruck. Only three lines, only two foreginers (Simsic and Zanoski are much closer to HG players than foreginers), Svennson and Robar. Both goals scored by Croatian players, Jarcov Luka and Jankovic Ivan.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
I somehow feel like EBEL will allow signings for Medveščak if they find one-off sponsors and they will get few players to finish the season. (Nothing to challenge for a playoff spot, for sure)
Of course, I support inclusion of homegrown players, it would be better if it was a result of the process though.

It is hard for me to understand people in Medveščak board, why didn't they at least try to do something that will last? Nothing they did seemed to take club's future into account. Nothing.

Reactions: pukovnik

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Is there any way to make this a joint Croat/Slovenian venture?

Some sponsors have kept Austrian clubs from hiring X many imports or hiring only from certain provinces.

Is there a way to have a partnership where a sponsor comes on board and there are loans between a Slovenian club and Zagreb? Maybe they have to dress a minimum number of slovenians.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

It is crazy indeed but there's a good reason behind this. Medvescak with current team wouldn't be competitive even in Alps League. Most of their young local players who replaced the imports are not doing that good even in IntHL and that league is another big step down from Alps League.

Reactions: Appleyard

JLT

Jan 7, 2019
You guys must be excited about Rossi! He has looked unbelievable to me.

How come he did not play for Austria u20 this year?

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I heard rumors that Medvescak will only play until (something like) game 44 when clubs divide into different groups and proceed to the 2nd half of the regular season - sort of pre-play off tournament.

Another rumor is Feldkirch might be coming back next year.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Another rumor is Feldkirch might be coming back next year.

Feldkirch is officially applying. An Austrian newspaper also reports that the following sites are "working on entering EBEL": Bratislava (really?), Budapest (still?) and an Italian club (Milano?).

Meanwhile Zagreb (obviously) and Znojmo (allegedly) are in doubt.

I heard rumors that Medvescak will only play until (something like) game 44 when clubs divide into different groups and proceed to the 2nd half of the regular season - sort of pre-play off tournament.

It makes no sense for them to continue playing. The roster keeps getting weaker and they're miles away from being somewhat competitive. Their latest results (newest games up):

0-13 vs Vienna
2-10 vs Dornbirn
0-6 Klagenfurt
0-12 Klagenfurt
2-8 Villach
2-6 Graz
0-7 Klagenfurt
0-9 Graz
...(5 more defeats in a row)...

Overall that's 13 defeats in a row with 12 goals scored and 98 goals conceded.

Last edited:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Feldkirch is officially applying. An Austrian newspaper also reports that the following sites are "working on entering EBEL": Bratislava (really?), Budapest (still?) and an Italian club (Milano?).

Meanwhile Zagreb (obviously) and Znojmo (allegedly) are in doubt.

It makes no sense for them to continue playing. The roster keeps getting weaker and they're miles away from being somewhat competitive. Their latest results (newest games up):

0-13 vs Vienna
2-10 vs Dornbirn
0-6 Klagenfurt
0-12 Klagenfurt
2-8 Villach
2-6 Graz
0-7 Klagenfurt
0-9 Graz
...(5 more defeats in a row)...

Overall that's 13 defeats in a row with 12 goals scored and 98 goals conceded.

I think that Budapest should without a doubt be in EBEL, if they can provide stable sponsors of course - something like 2 or 3 millions per season. Hungary, unlike Croatia, has domestic talent to fill out the holes in bottom 9 forwards, other would be imports. Rivalry vs Fehervar & probably Vienna.

Slovan's future in KHL is not exciting. It would be huge for EBEL if they ever decide to join, big club with strong support. Vienna rivalry is waiting. I would absolutely love for that to happen.

Medvescak should be in Alps League, as already stated, local guys will have chance to play and be successful, future sponsor should handle 5 or 6 imports.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Medvescak only had 11 players today against Bolzano, 4 D and 7 F. This is just ridiculous.

And by funny or rather sad coincidence, they concede exactly 11 goals and lose 0-11. And not a single penalty called all game.

Side note though (even though it doesn't take anything away from the ridiculousness of the Zagreb situation):

Villach with 16 skaters, Innsbruck with 15 (9 forwards). Freimüller: "EBEL is the only league I know where such numbers of personal are not extraordinary at all."

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
And by funny or rather sad coincidence, they concede exactly 11 goals and lose 0-11. And not a single penalty called all game.

Side note though (even though it doesn't take anything away from the ridiculousness of the Zagreb situation):

Villach with 16 skaters, Innsbruck with 15 (9 forwards). Freimüller: "EBEL is the only league I know where such numbers of personal are not extraordinary at all."

Illness maybe? Cold or flu time.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Budapest and Milan would be welcome additions. I still remember when the latter had plans to join the KHL but those never came to fruition. Not sure how would I feel about Slovan joining EBEL, though. It seems preferable to me that they'd go back to Extraliga should they leave the KHL. This might revitalize the league a little which is currently in a rather sad state.

Also, as I recall, Budapest's attempts to join EBEL were previously nixed by Fehérvár.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Budapest and Milan would be welcome additions. I still remember when the latter had plans to join the KHL but those never came to fruition. Not sure how would I feel about Slovan joining EBEL, though. It seems preferable to me that they'd go back to Extraliga should they leave the KHL. This might revitalize the league a little which is currently in a rather sad state.

how would Milano be a good addition? They weren't capable to get their arena in order for the start of Alps league and now they are playing without foreign players because they can't afford them.
They belong in Serie B.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
how would Milano be a good addition? They weren't capable to get their arena in order for the start of Alps league and now they are playing without foreign players because they can't afford them.
They belong in Serie B.
I'm assuming that they have a viable financial plan should they join the EBEL.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
They belong in Serie B.
According with rumours confirmed by Dieter Knoll (general manager of HC Bolzano) there is a group of Canadian investors interested in joining the EBEL with a new team in Milano. The chances of building this new club are essentialy related with Milan being elected as host city for the 2026 Winter Olympics. The Olympics hockey games are supposed to be hosted in a completely new arena, which would also become the new home of Milan.

Reactions: Urbanskog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->