Easy to Use Python Library for NHL Analytics

adamf

May 23, 2020
When I started looking into sports analytics for the NHL, i was somewhat disappointed by the availability of data - data sources were error prone and fragmented. I wanted to be able to generate my own data that leveraged and combined all of the publicly available sources (htmlreports, statsapi, etc...), and make it EASY for other people to use and contribute, so that we could all contribute and have access to the best possible data.

There were some open source projects, but they were difficult to set up because of their reliance on heavyweight packages in the R programming language and they clearly weren't designed with user friendliness in mind.

I created an open source project with the goal of making it easier for people like us to get our hands on comprehensive play-by-play NHL data. Take a look:

NOTE: It is still in the alpha state and I would love to have contributors on this project.

adamfillion/hockeydata

It uses Python, so if any of you have experience and would like to poke around, find bugs, use it for your own projects, contribute, or give any kind of feedback, it would be greatly appreciated!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad