Easy-to-make backyard rink

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Are there any rink in a box kits that can be put together and maintained by someone with minimal experience? I know I tried to put together a JiffyIce rink a couple of years ago and wasn't too successful. Also, what are tricks to adjust for a small incline in the surface?

Hoping to set one up this winter!

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
It's getting pretty close, we are already supposed to get snow flurries tomorrow.
They are ridiculously expensive but I've researched Nicerink.com. I know they have tiny ones in a box. I myself am looking to do something like a 50x80. Most I talk to tell me they are unsuccessful and ends up a big mess.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I believe I ran across a similar thread in this subforum. Try searching it up. There were extensive discussion about people's experience building one and its pricing.

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
Save your money. I put up a 50x70 foot rink each year. Go to a lumber yard and get treated 1x10's and some metal brackets to hold them together, or if you want to get an extra 1x10 and cut it down to little pieces and use for them for the braces. You can find tarps to use as a liner. If the tarps do not come in the size you need I found a boat cover that worked for me. All this was a hell of a lot cheaper than one of those rink kits.

About the slope, I have the same problem. I had to make my rink a little smaller to get the ice I wanted. I stack two 1x10 on top of each other because I get a foot of ice in one corner and 3 to 4 inches of ice at the opposite corner.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
Save your money. I put up a 50x70 foot rink each year. Go to a lumber yard and get treated 1x10's and some metal brackets to hold them together, or if you want to get an extra 1x10 and cut it down to little pieces and use for them for the braces. You can find tarps to use as a liner. If the tarps do not come in the size you need I found a boat cover that worked for me. All this was a hell of a lot cheaper than one of those rink kits.

About the slope, I have the same problem. I had to make my rink a little smaller to get the ice I wanted. I stack two 1x10 on top of each other because I get a foot of ice in one corner and 3 to 4 inches of ice at the opposite corner.

how are you resurfacing it? just adding water and smoothing it?

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
Axman,

All I do to resurface is to shovel first and take a garden hose with different settings and spray it. Depending on how much use it got, or if I have shell ice I will put a light coat of water on there and let it freeze and check it and do it again until I have smooth ice.

I also have a homeboni (spelling?) and it works really good also, but it sucks dragging the hose all around.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
Axman,

All I do to resurface is to shovel first and take a garden hose with different settings and spray it. Depending on how much use it got, or if I have shell ice I will put a light coat of water on there and let it freeze and check it and do it again until I have smooth ice.

I also have a homeboni (spelling?) and it works really good also, but it sucks dragging the hose all around.

Gotcha. Thanks for the help!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->