Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
It makes sense to be honest. I imagine over the years TBL has lost a lot of content contributors making it hard to keep up with regular updates. They basically said as much in that news release. Plus, with FHM now becoming a legitimate competitor I imagine a lot of EHM people have started to jump ship.

More people working on a roster means better and more accurate data. As long as xECK29x's rosters continue with xECK29x's vision I'm happy. I always appreciated TBL's rosters for their current updated lineups but was never a fan of the work that went into prospects outside of the first years draft. I guess with the Prospect Generator now an addition we don't really need to worry about this in any roster.

The more people involved the better. I think this is good news for everyone still interested in EHM.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
So the TBL rosters basically don't exist anymore, and they are merged with your rosters essentially? I'm not complaining about that, that's good to see.

I'm not positive if this was with your rosters or with BK's rosters, but I remember a comment I had a while ago about prospect generation. I remember one of those rosters had a bunch of prospects with defined potentials (a lot of 160s, 155s and 150s for 18-20 year olds), which basically removed the randomness from the game when it came to prospects. The TBL rosters have historically relied on the randomized potentials more, which is something I really like. I also think TBL's rosters had lower CA for drafted players, which is something I wasn't crazy about. Have you guys figured out how to consolidate that? Rebuilding teams through prospects and draft picks is my favorite thing to do in EHM, and my favorite rosters have higher CA (#1 overall pick is like 135 CA, top-5 picks are above 115, ect) but random potential for drafted players.

As I'm typing this out, I think it was with BK's rosters, so I don't know if this question applies to your rosters. But I'll leave it up since I'm not positive.

Some great questions here and we might need to create an FAQ @archibalduk

1) My DB only uses negative value PAs for anyone under 23, for 24 y/o it's CA +14, and 25 CA +10 and it degrades from there on a curve until 30, some goalies (late bloomers) might fit outside of this curve.
2) The lower CAs in TBL will no longer exist as a standard. I have altered my CA model slightly and I will be doing some more research this year which may lead to a greater spread of NHL talent (starting at 100 CA vs 110) but this is a little ways away. There are still some countries still following the old model and those will be adjusted over time. I think overall we are pretty happy with the CA tiering though this will continue to be standardized across the world, also related to this is standardizing the club reputations and tiering them appropriately.

For @MikeK:

The prospect generator was never incorporated into TBL and we haven't discussed adding it. However, I am not opposed to doing the inverse for what I do with the Pivot DB where I include a second DB in the workshop item that can be renamed and moved that does include these prospects. That is something I will bring back to the team to discuss. Alternatively, we could leave it as is and leave it up to the user to choose to download and seed the DB with the prospects themselves using the Editor. This is something the creator would have to decide to post and maintain.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Some great questions here and we might need to create an FAQ @archibalduk

1) My DB only uses negative value PAs for anyone under 23, for 24 y/o it's CA +14, and 25 CA +10 and it degrades from there on a curve until 30, some goalies (late bloomers) might fit outside of this curve.
2) The lower CAs in TBL will no longer exist as a standard. I have altered my CA model slightly and I will be doing some more research this year which may lead to a greater spread of NHL talent (starting at 100 CA vs 110) but this is a little ways away. There are still some countries still following the old model and those will be adjusted over time. I think overall we are pretty happy with the CA tiering though this will continue to be standardized across the world, also related to this is standardizing the club reputations and tiering them appropriately.

Okay, so I think I was thinking of BK's rosters then. I was thinking of his Seattle expansion roster, where I noticed guys like Lafreniere, Byfield and such always had the same potential every single game. I think the way your DB does PAs is exactly what I want to see, so that makes sense. It was just in the other rosters that I knew what potential a ton of players had, so I could just say something like "I know Puljujarvi has a 165 potential and you can get him for cheap because he has the Oilers listed as a disliked club, so I just got my long term 1st line RW for a 2nd round pick".

My issue with the CA thing is that pretty much no one from a given draft was a productive player in their draft+1 year. You had some teams force 110 CA players in the NHL, where they usually didn't do that well, but most spend years in juniors/AHL. A lot of top-5 picks can jump in immediately on a 2nd or 3rd line and be successful, 2018 was especially true with Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi putting up good results. I tend to use 140 as the cutoff for a 2nd liner and 125 as the cutoff for a 3rd liner, so I feel like every draft should have at least 1 or 2 guys in that range.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
For @MikeK:

The prospect generator was never incorporated into TBL and we haven't discussed adding it. However, I am not opposed to doing the inverse for what I do with the Pivot DB where I include a second DB in the workshop item that can be renamed and moved that does include these prospects. That is something I will bring back to the team to discuss. Alternatively, we could leave it as is and leave it up to the user to choose to download and seed the DB with the prospects themselves using the Editor. This is something the creator would have to decide to post and maintain.

I hope the prospect generator is an option because in long careers I think EHM does a terrible job of generating future prospects. I mentioned a few posts ago how I decided to launch a new career using your alt DB with out the generator and was reminded just how terrible it is. I lost interest after a few seasons when the first round turned into what we would expect from a 7th.

Does today's news change your planed roster update with the newish generator included?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I hope the prospect generator is an option because in long careers I think EHM does a terrible job of generating future prospects. I mentioned a few posts ago how I decided to launch a new career using your alt DB with out the generator and was reminded just how terrible it is. I lost interest after a few seasons when the first round turned into what we would expect from a 7th.

Does today's news change your planed roster update with the newish generator included?

There is no doubt the prospect generation randomness is too varied and really leads to watered down prospects or too many defensive guys and far few goalies.

It does not, we are on track for a release of both DBs tomorrow, we are still doing some extensive tests and tweaks.

ImActuallyAnOtter

Mar 3, 2019
For all those with questions/concerns about the Prospect Generator - I have received them from @xECK29x.

The Prospect Generator has been completely overhauled over the last 2-3 weeks and it's getting to a place where I'm far happier with it. I promised ECK a changelog in the next 24 hours so I will try to deliver.

I've seen the amount of work going into the forthcoming release and I can tell you it's going to be the most accurate and detailed database ever released for EHM. It will be well worth the wait. =]

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Sounds exciting. I've been looking forward to it.

I'm sure there will be some sort of change log but since we're all here talking about it what exactly should we be expecting in the next release? What kind of changes have gone into it?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just don't let Ruban evaluate players for the DB again.. otherwise all the Leafs 7th round prospects will have 200 PA again.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
orxs4jJ.png

Thank you Archi for the new logo :)

v4.5 of my Premier Pivot Rosters posted to Steam, will no longer be providing an offline link, please download from:
Steam Workshop :: [2019-20] xECK29x's Premier Pivot Database (v4.5)

**KNOWN ISSUES**:

- HockeyEttan issues: We are going to keep this as a playable league structure but we HIGHLY recommend not using it if possible. There are a lot of known issues with it and it's going to require extensive time to fix.
- Pooling of prospects on Maine High School hockey clubs, who end up staying there until turning pro. This appears to be a game bug, really weird issue.
- US NTDP clubs signing Canadian players, this appears to be due to game logic considering Canada as a "domestic" nation for United States leagues. This appears to be a game limitation, still investigating.

General Updates:

- Updated all currency exchange rates
- Cleaned up UFA pool and retired a lot of players/staff no longer active or valid -- thanks Matee!!
- Fixed Olympic draw dates (finally) -- thanks IAmActuallyAnOtter!!
- Added/updated captains and staff for lots of clubs around the world, more to come!

PROSPECT GENERATOR V5.5 CHANGELIST -- huge thanks to @ImActuallyAnOtter:

OVERALL CHANGES:

- Reduced the number of players generated to better control database size. Previously 500 players per draft were created for 100 years, plus ~1,000 "sons" - Total ~51,000 players . Now it is 500 players forgot the first 20 years and 128 players for the subsequent 100 years, plus ~1,000 "sons". Total ~25,000 players. Will make for faster databases.
- Changed nation generation to better match current player distribution (more big countries, less small countries)

PLAYER GENERATION:
- Top end player generation is now more diverse. Previously I allowed -10 and -15 players to only generate 3-5 different roles within their position, that has been expanded and updated.
- Players can now have 2nd nationalities, be born in different countries, have ethnic family names etc.
- Increased the current ability of generated players across the board to compensate for EHM's lack of prospect development in pre-draft years.
- Reduced the potential ability of generated players across the board to reduce the likelihood of a situation where too many players are top liners.
- Changed reputation generation so that players generate with lower reputations than before, this works with the CA raise above so that players are more likely to join clubs, and initial testing is showing that the likelihood of American players sitting a year because they don't get signed by colleges is reducing (they tend to sign with AA junior clubs in Canada instead).
- Changed positional generation a bit, removed the ability for players to generate as both defenders and forwards.
- Ramped down the average consistency level generated to make it an average of 10.2 (was 11.1 before), but put in protection for all goalies, and for -10 and -15 players so it doesn't drop lower than 8 for those guys.
- Ramped down the average important matches level generated to make it an average of 10.2 (was 11.1 before), but put in protection for -10 and -15 players so it doesn't drop lower than 9 for those guys.
- Changed pass tendency for some roles for more diverse player generation
- Changed average injury proneness generation so players are more likely to get injured (average was around 7 before, now it's 10) - no protection for anyone
- Changed average natural fitness generation so players will degrade younger (average was around 13 before, now it's 10) - no protection for anyone
- Modified acceleration and speed generation so that players that generate at 15 yo or more (basically, the prospects in the first three drafts) are better generated.
- Further reduced potential ability generation as skaters were still getting too good
- increased goalie potential ability generation as good goalies were not frequent enough
- Generated 360 moderate ca / variable pa non-players between the ages of 25 & 40 to fix the long-term game staff issue better
- Reduced hidden stats generation in a way that the average hidden stats are lower, but generally don’t drop below 7. Added minimum of 9 for all -15 or higher prospects (3-4 skaters & 2-3 goalies per calendar year)
- Added a hard limit of 15 for most “growable” stats to stop op youth generation.
- Reduced top end ca generation as well to compensate for the hard limit above

NHL/AHL/ECHL Updates:

- Raised salary cap to 91.5/70.2M
- Latest player/staff transfers and injuries
- Updated lots of PA and Offensive/Defensive role values for players and prospects -- thanks ImActuallyAnOtter for your research!!
-- ** Note ** this will impact all U23 players, it will really add a lot of randomness to player potentials, each playthrough will be much more unique!
- Updated Natural Fitness attributes for NHL players -- thanks DAfleggo for the idea
- Updated ECHL trade deadline dates and playoff draw dates

- Organizational Refreshes (players, prospects, staff and other details) - big thanks to @caley for his depth charts on HFB!!
-- Anaheim Ducks/San Diego Gulls
-- Arizona Coyotes/Tucson Roadrunners/Rapid City
-- Boston Bruins/Providence Bruins/Atlanta Gladiators
-- Buffalo Sabres/Rochester Americans/Cincinnati Cyclones
-- Calgary Flames/Stockton Heat/Kansas City Mavericks
-- Toronto Maple Leafs/Toronto Marlies/Newfoundland Growlers
-- Vancouver Canucks/Utica Comets/Kalamazoo Kings
-- Vegas Golden Knights/Chicago Wolves/Fort Wayne Komets
-- Washington Capitals/Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays
-- Winnipeg Jets/Manitoba Moose/Jacksonville IceMen

Canadian Updates:

- Retired Sidney Crosby's #87 across entire QMJHL

Czech Updates:

- Added Czech Univerzitní liga ledního hokeje (ULLH) and updated EUHL - updated players/staff -- thanks Matee and Dani9!!
- Updated players/staff in 2. Liga and Krajske Ligy -- thanks Matee!!
- Updated clubs and league structure for 2. Liga -- thanks Matee!!

Finnish Updates:

- Updated Liiga and Mestis affiliations and players/staff -- thanks ppaalloo!!

Russian Updates:

- Updated league structure for Prevenstvo Vysshey Hockey league
- Updated competition names of MHL and NMHL
- Fixed Professional Status for MHL and NMHL clubs back to junior
- Increased squad count for Russian Vysshaya Hockey League

Slovakia Updates:

- Added details for new prospects in Slovak Tipsport -- thanks Antho42!!

Swedish Updates:

- Updated financial data and salaries for SHL -- thanks Aahlstroem and alijali231!!
- Removed overage rule for J20 SuperElit

United Kingdom Updates -- thanks @archibalduk :

- Updated EIHL, NIHL National/1/2 and SNL rosters as at 5 October 2019
- Added 200+ missing players and staff
- Updated dates of birth for certain players and staff
- Set approximate years of birth for players and staff where no such data is presently available
- Updated bio data, CAs, PAs and positions for various NIHL players
- Transferred player ratings from TBL Rosters v11.2 for various NIHL players
- Added club histories to all EIHL, NIHL National/1/2 and SNL teams

United States Updates:

- Reduced reps of US-HS and New England Prep school clubs to try to force more realistic player movement and reduce player pooling through entirety of juniors

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
WOW. That's quite the update. Especially to the Generator. Great work, everyone. Going to start one some time today.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Tatartots

Mar 17, 2015
TBL release live as well!! Keep in mind that database does not have the increased NHL salary cap or the added prospects

Are those the only two differences between the databases as of right now? Are there any differences in player ratings? Thanks for all your guys work!

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Are those the only two differences between the databases as of right now? Are there any differences in player ratings? Thanks for all your guys work!

The databases honestly initially are identical outside of the NHL salary cap bump in Pivot and added prospects (which we may add into TBL at some point because long term sims become pretty unbearable with the game limitations). Transactions will remain locked in on TBL over time and we will patch in any updates to attributes, clubs and historical detail as we update them in Pivot. Expect TBL to be updated every 2-3 months, Pivot will remain on on a release schedule of roughly every 2-3 weeks unless there are major transactions to process or completed research piles up.

Reactions: archibalduk

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Good thing I only got into September 2019 in this save this morning, I'm able to restart my game without having to do much :laugh:

@xECK29x did you take Luongo off of Florida's roster? The reason Ekblad keeps being made available in my saves is because they're over the cap, but they're only over the cap with including Luongo.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Good thing I only got into September 2019 in this save this morning, I'm able to restart my game without having to do much :laugh:

@xECK29x did you take Luongo off of Florida's roster? The reason Ekblad keeps being made available in my saves is because they're over the cap, but they're only over the cap with including Luongo.

Good catch, I’ll patch this into both DBs later tonight

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

Which is opposite to EHM 2007. Drafts were so much realistic in terms of quality players especially 1st rounders.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
EHM Superstar V10 sign up is now live as we are wrapping up V9 this weekend. Special thanks to ECK and the rest of the crew for the rosters

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Not saying you are wrong Mike, but I’m still going to say that everyone’s game will be random when your playing 5-6 years into the future.

I’m not sure where (mainly) a ton of people are having the problem with prospect development when in real life, it may/may not come to fruition. As @Nino33 said before, adding players to the starting configuration will allow for more creativity with the PA’s and more ‘star’ players will develop over time. (CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH)

I’m going to post screenshots of my main saves too players. I believe I’m in 2040, but I’ll let everyone else make up their minds.

Again, everyone’s gameplay experience is different from each other’s. I remember seeing posts on here and on TBL explaining that it was too easy to draft and find sure-fire young players in EHM07. Riz changed the whole regen/newgen system so the development curve could change.

To each their own, but I always see the same questions without attempting to tweak or do something different. (Like adding young players in the starting config)

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Again, everyone’s gameplay experience is different from each other’s. I remember seeing posts on here and on TBL explaining that it was too easy to draft and find sure-fire young players in EHM07. Riz changed the whole regen/newgen system so the development curve could change.

To each their own, but I always see the same questions without attempting to tweak or do something different. (Like adding young players in the starting config)

I've added a few screenshots of what my 'regen/newgens' look like. Besides adding Portugal and Portuguese prospects to the game, this is what my save creates. Not sure how everyone else looks like post 30-40 years??

fisher.png boshman.png gaby.png lundin swe.png macmillan.png sanford.png adrian port.png sonny.png

DaBossN

Dec 26, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->