Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Question with the prospect generator...does it help with goalies down the line? One of the biggest downfalls of me getting more than 10 years out is that the game currently generates virtually no good goalies (even if their attributes are good they suck in reality). I also notice after about 5-6 years (pre-generated players) even the #1 overall is rarely NHL ready for at least 2-3 years. One of the reasons I'm really not sure about starting a new game until 1.5 eventually comes out because player development seems slow/poor as you go on in years (again I've never made it past about 10-12 years). It's weird to see guys with meh attributes and a PA of like 130 racking up points and 7+ ratings in the NHL while a 170 PA player with decent attributes never develops, or doesn't play as well as his attributes would suggest and becomes an NHL tweener at best.

From my experience using it I can say it does a fantastic job. Like I said earlier, it basically made scouting and drafting mean something whereas before I though the draft was one of the weakest parts of ehm. After using it I can't play without it now. I tried last week but lost my interest pretty quick when the draft was spitting out garbage players in the first round year after year. When using a roster with the generator included or as a separate add-on it's quite obvious and impressive.

As far as NHL ready prospects, they come along but most prospects will need a year or 2 of development before being NHL ready. I mean, let's be real, it takes a pretty freakish player to be NHL ready after the draft... but they definitely come along. That is the beauty of the generator. You actually want to establish a scouting network and pay attention to the prospect system. Scouting and drafting is almost like a game in and of itself.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Question with the prospect generator...does it help with goalies down the line? One of the biggest downfalls of me getting more than 10 years out is that the game currently generates virtually no good goalies (even if their attributes are good they suck in reality). I also notice after about 5-6 years (pre-generated players) even the #1 overall is rarely NHL ready for at least 2-3 years. One of the reasons I'm really not sure about starting a new game until 1.5 eventually comes out because player development seems slow/poor as you go on in years (again I've never made it past about 10-12 years). It's weird to see guys with meh attributes and a PA of like 130 racking up points and 7+ ratings in the NHL while a 170 PA player with decent attributes never develops, or doesn't play as well as his attributes would suggest and becomes an NHL tweener at best.

Not the versions I've used.. all it does is spit out players who look like this:

Generic winger you seen 40+ times each draft:
upload_2019-10-5_6-0-49.png

Top ten prospects who look like this but never grow because their CA is high but have no PA:
upload_2019-10-5_6-1-32.png

And every prospect generator goalie is created with a fatal flaw (this guy is top ten in ISS):

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-5_6-2-30.png
    upload_2019-10-5_6-2-30.png
    542.1 KB · Views: 16

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Which roster are you using? Maybe it's just me but that goalie prospect is one I would take. At 17yrs old he has a high work rate, determination, anticipation and stamina. I'd be able to develop him into a top goalie in the league. Still though, your prospects don't look anything like what I see in my games using the prospect generator... but keep in mind though, if using fog of war, your attributes mean nothing unless you have a good scouting system in place. Could be your scouting isn't very good.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Which roster are you using? Maybe it's just me but that goalie prospect is one I would take. At 17yrs old he has a high work rate, determination, anticipation and stamina. I'd be able to develop him into a top goalie in the league. Still though, your prospects don't look anything like what I see in my games using the prospect generator... but keep in mind though, if using fog of war, your attributes mean nothing unless you have a good scouting system in place. Could be your scouting isn't very good.

I believe it's TBL.. It's an online league, though. No fog of war. They're all like that.

upload_2019-10-6_8-17-43.png

upload_2019-10-6_8-18-45.png

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I can't comment about online leagues and their rosters. I've never played in one so I'm not even sure if the generators are active there. I do know though from experience that TBL was no better than the default roster as far as prospects goes. Great for current roster updates but I was never impressed with the work put into prospects. So if there isn't an active prospect generator it could explain why you're seeing what you're seeing.

Last edited:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Where I can find prospect generator and how to install it ?

If you use my DB it's already baked in, the author hasn't publicly released it in a while. Basically it's a spread sheet that gets imported into the database to seed new players that will be generated in the future once they become 13 y/o or later. He generates a fresh sheet for me to randomize the prospects every release to keep things fresh.

Reactions: MikeK and pukovnik

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can't comment about online leagues and their rosters. I've never played in one so I'm not even sure if the generators are active there. I do know though from experience that TBL was no better than the default roster as far as prospects goes. Great for current roster updates but I was never impressed with the work put into prospects. So if there isn't an active prospect generator it could explain why you're seeing what you're seeing.

It's active, I helped implement it.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Hi all, I don't know if any of you will be able to help me but it's worth a shot.

We are currently in a middle of a league using EHM 1.18 and the forwards ST and SK keeps dropping as well as the defensemen CH et PO. We tried a lot of different things and it keeps happening even when we start from scratch.

Would any of you know why this happen and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Hi all, I don't know if any of you will be able to help me but it's worth a shot.

We are currently in a middle of a league using EHM 1.18 and the forwards ST and SK keeps dropping as well as the defensemen CH et PO. We tried a lot of different things and it keeps happening even when we start from scratch.

Would any of you know why this happen and how to fix it?

Thanks!
Maybe the answer can be found here? Freeware Eastside Hockey Manager - EHM The Blue Line

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
In year one? It could be the player type doesn’t favor those stats or the CA vs the stats are out of wack, so the game is going to shuffle the stats points around to favor what is needed for the player type to be effective.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
In year one? It could be the player type doesn’t favor those stats or the CA vs the stats are out of wack, so the game is going to shuffle the stats points around to favor what is needed for the player type to be effective.
Yes in year one and for a lot of players with perfectly fine ceilings. It's weird because it's only those two 4 stats that I told you that drops

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Yes in year one and for a lot of players with perfectly fine ceilings. It's weird because it's only those two 4 stats that I told you that drops

I'd have to take a look at the DB and the players to tell you for sure but my gut feeling it's the player type.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I'd have to take a look at the DB and the players to tell you for sure but my gut feeling it's the player type.
Deam78 noted "using EHM 1.18" and I'm pretty sure that means they're using the freeware game of EHM (so no Player Roles)

The freeware version is from 2001 Eastside Hockey Manager - Wikipedia

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
xECK29x, Is the plan for releasing your roster update with new prospect generator still on for tomorrow?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
xECK29x, Is the plan for releasing your roster update with new prospect generator still on for tomorrow?

Yes, but probably more likely Saturday, we have acquired a lot of the feedback posted here and other places and the creator made a lot of great changes and testing looks great

Reactions: MikeK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Big news for everyone this morning, thank you so much for all the community support! I love working with the TBL crew and we will continue to have big plans for the DB going forward!

TBL Rosters and Premier Pivot Rosters Join Forces - The Blue Line

So the TBL rosters basically don't exist anymore, and they are merged with your rosters essentially? I'm not complaining about that, that's good to see.

I'm not positive if this was with your rosters or with BK's rosters, but I remember a comment I had a while ago about prospect generation. I remember one of those rosters had a bunch of prospects with defined potentials (a lot of 160s, 155s and 150s for 18-20 year olds), which basically removed the randomness from the game when it came to prospects. The TBL rosters have historically relied on the randomized potentials more, which is something I really like. I also think TBL's rosters had lower CA for drafted players, which is something I wasn't crazy about. Have you guys figured out how to consolidate that? Rebuilding teams through prospects and draft picks is my favorite thing to do in EHM, and my favorite rosters have higher CA (#1 overall pick is like 135 CA, top-5 picks are above 115, ect) but random potential for drafted players.

As I'm typing this out, I think it was with BK's rosters, so I don't know if this question applies to your rosters. But I'll leave it up since I'm not positive.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
So the TBL rosters basically don't exist anymore, and they are merged with your rosters essentially? I'm not complaining about that, that's good to see.

Yes that's pretty much it. I don't think merging will result in any data loss because: (i) the Premier Pivot Rosters originated from an old version of the TBL Rosters (but have of course been very extensively updated since); (ii) we have been transferring data over from the TBL Rosters where possible (e.g. I have been spending a lot of time transferring my UK work over); and (iii) we have actually been sharing work between the TBL Rosters, BK's rosters and the Premier Pivot Rosters for quite some time.

We have struggled to release rosters early season for a number of years now whereas xECK29x has the time and energy to release his updates at very remarkable speeds. So it makes sense we feed into his project rather than duplicating work and releasing the TBL Rosters mid/late season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad