Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
NHLX20 Pre-Release

So I'm working on something fairly big and it's just time consuming so in the meantime since it's almost the end of November and I haven't released anything new, I am releasing an updated NHLX database - we will call it a pre-release since it's not 100% yet (see release notes below) - but it's definitely more than a beta. And you do get both varieties to play around with:

Option 1 - Standard: The pre-baked database let's you start right up with a full expansion roster and basic staff. As usual the rosters are based on a very extensive mock dispersal draft and are continuously tweaked. Staff are filled by "fake" personnel that are rated to be decent but not outstanding for the NHL level. The point being A) I don't want to start assigning real staff that could be moving to different teams in real life and B) I want the user to be able to jump right and not worry about signing a whole team staff if they don't want to but at the same time - you always can upgrade your staff with real personnel in the game if you desire.

Download NHLX20 v1.0 - Standard

Option 2 - Blank: Empty NHLX teams and staff (aside from real staff already signed to Seattle such as Ron Francis). Comes with two import files, one for expansion draft players and one for staff. If you run both files in the EHM Editor prior to starting a game, you will end up with the exact Option 1 - Standard database. If you don't run either, the NHLX expansion teams will start completely from scratch. And you can edit either import file to customize initial rosters and staff if you desire, just be sure to import with the EHM Editor prior to starting a game. The formatting is pretty easy to figure out if you open the import files. Also - if you create your own import files - simply save them somewhere handy and you can use to upgrade any future release version of NHLX to your own specifications!

Download NHLX20 v1.0 - Blank

Graphics: You need these of course...always being updated to match the database update. Keep in mind you can still change Seattle's identity with the EHM to one of 8 identites baked into the database and the graphics pack. See the readme file in the database download.

Download NHLX20 v1.0 Graphics Pack

Other notable changes would be:
- World transaction for major league as usual including loans plus ratings updates for top players and new younger players in many major leagues...I do NOT vouch for 100% accuracy on rosters across the world though as this is still an NHL(X)-centric database. If you need your Swedish 3rd division or British all-leagues cup fix, please go get the wonderful Pivot/TBL rosters! My goal is to keep top leagues and cups running accurately with real looking league leader lists, national team rosters and potential targets for NHL or other pro clubs...but definitely will not have the levels of depth for European leagues that the Pivot/TBL database has.

- Champions Hockey League and Continental Cup are updated with seeding based on 18-19 league and cup results around Europe. Now, we still cannot change the CHL format to reflect the real-life format - so still the old setup...where needed, I simply moved teams in/out based on last year's season results to ensure the competitions run and run with as accurate of a field as possible to reflect 19-20.

- Every single NCAA commit in the game, current team updated, future transfer to NCAA school set (with well over 1,000 - if there are any errors let me know, commitments can be very fluid) - this includes setting future projected USNTDP classes for '04 and '05 which will matriculate through the USNTDP before college/draft. So a guy like Seamus Casey starts 19-20 with the Florida Alliance (midget), will spend the two years after that on the USNT and then head to the University of Michigan in 2022.

- Extensive updating of all NHL depth charts and ratings to reflect quarter-season results/rosters and recent trends/call-ups/rookies. Of course with the extra NHL teams - depth and rookies will get more playing time than you might be used to in a standard 31-team NHL database.

- A complete cleanup of NHL staff (although you will notice I only go 4-deep on scouts - scouting staffs are huge so I tend to just focus on scouting directors and heads) and eliminating all the ancient old free agent staff who are retired...or deceased)

- Adding a ton of 2004 and 2005 born prospects with lots of potential to fill out future drafts to keep your NHLX team building viable and exciting well into the future. Real, young players with solid starting ratings and high potentials. I subscribe to several online scouting services to simply get enough info to help populate these players - of course at that age, sometimes vitals are hard to find and of course the scouting reports are fairly basic - but at least there's enough info to fill in a few blanks and keep real players in the game as long as possible. As player development is so fluid, new prospects and revised potentials change from update to update with the database. For example - so far over 110+ 2005-born prospects - all with roles and ratings worthy of potentially getting drafted and many will be stars and impact players as early as their rookie post-draft seasons.

- And I've started adding real future teams beyond the 19-20 update (complete with graphics) such as the Cranbrook Bucks to the BCHL (begin play in 20-21) and moving Trinity Western from the BICHL to the playable U Sports league (another move for 20-21) but it may
temporarily render a few of these smaller/junior leagues temporarily unplayable in full-GM mode. I know the CJHL setup won't work at the moment because I have integrated Cranbrook into the BCHL schedule template.

- Other extra goodies...the WHA, Latinoamericana Superliga, International Club Cup, playable Aussie and NZ leagues, Fed Cup, KHL expansion, NCAA expansion, playable U Sports (pending adjustments as noted above), added promotion/relegation to top European leagues.

Enjoy - always looking for feedback - keep in mind as always, the NHLX-series is somewhat experimental in nature!

Last edited:

Hotwinglol

Nov 26, 2019
Any recommended settings for your DB BKarchitect? Should I turn on add players/retain and all those extra things? Thanks

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Any recommended settings for your DB BKarchitect? Should I turn on add players/retain and all those extra things? Thanks

It really depends on what leagues you have on or are managing in. If you are sticking with the NHL and playing the standard version with expansion draft stocked rosters - I don't add extra players or staff since I like to have drafts undiluted by fake players. But if you are playing an expansion team from scratch or one of the new or modified leagues like the WHA or expanded NCAA or KHL, I'd recommend adding players to playable teams and junior and domestic rosters plus added staff - just so the teams fill up.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Never had that before. Its my first overall pick from last years draft and its his 2nd NHL season now. Can someone explain this to me? Quite funny :D

nick back.png nick back member team.png

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Not a big deal but I thought it was funny. Maybe he gets the Seguin treatment :D

Well he is NHL ready and a top 6 forward, not sure why I should send him to some junior league

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
NHLX20 Pre-Release

So I'm working on something fairly big and it's just time consuming so in the meantime since it's almost the end of November and I haven't released anything new, I am releasing an updated NHLX database - we will call it a pre-release since it's not 100% yet (see release notes below) - but it's definitely more than a beta. And you do get both varieties to play around with:

Option 1 - Standard: The pre-baked database let's you start right up with a full expansion roster and basic staff. As usual the rosters are based on a very extensive mock dispersal draft and are continuously tweaked. Staff are filled by "fake" personnel that are rated to be decent but not outstanding for the NHL level. The point being A) I don't want to start assigning real staff that could be moving to different teams in real life and B) I want the user to be able to jump right and not worry about signing a whole team staff if they don't want to but at the same time - you always can upgrade your staff with real personnel in the game if you desire.

Download NHLX20 v1.0 - Standard

Option 2 - Blank: Empty NHLX teams and staff (aside from real staff already signed to Seattle such as Ron Francis). Comes with two import files, one for expansion draft players and one for staff. If you run both files in the EHM Editor prior to starting a game, you will end up with the exact Option 1 - Standard database. If you don't run either, the NHLX expansion teams will start completely from scratch. And you can edit either import file to customize initial rosters and staff if you desire, just be sure to import with the EHM Editor prior to starting a game. The formatting is pretty easy to figure out if you open the import files. Also - if you create your own import files - simply save them somewhere handy and you can use to upgrade any future release version of NHLX to your own specifications!

Download NHLX20 v1.0 - Blank

Graphics: You need these of course...always being updated to match the database update. Keep in mind you can still change Seattle's identity with the EHM to one of 8 identites baked into the database and the graphics pack. See the readme file in the database download.

Download NHLX20 v1.0 Graphics Pack

Other notable changes would be:
- World transaction for major league as usual including loans plus ratings updates for top players and new younger players in many major leagues...I do NOT vouch for 100% accuracy on rosters across the world though as this is still an NHL(X)-centric database. If you need your Swedish 3rd division or British all-leagues cup fix, please go get the wonderful Pivot/TBL rosters! My goal is to keep top leagues and cups running accurately with real looking league leader lists, national team rosters and potential targets for NHL or other pro clubs...but definitely will not have the levels of depth for European leagues that the Pivot/TBL database has.

- Champions Hockey League and Continental Cup are updated with seeding based on 18-19 league and cup results around Europe. Now, we still cannot change the CHL format to reflect the real-life format - so still the old setup...where needed, I simply moved teams in/out based on last year's season results to ensure the competitions run and run with as accurate of a field as possible to reflect 19-20.

- Every single NCAA commit in the game, current team updated, future transfer to NCAA school set (with well over 1,000 - if there are any errors let me know, commitments can be very fluid) - this includes setting future projected USNTDP classes for '04 and '05 which will matriculate through the USNTDP before college/draft. So a guy like Seamus Casey starts 19-20 with the Florida Alliance (midget), will spend the two years after that on the USNT and then head to the University of Michigan in 2022.

- Extensive updating of all NHL depth charts and ratings to reflect quarter-season results/rosters and recent trends/call-ups/rookies. Of course with the extra NHL teams - depth and rookies will get more playing time than you might be used to in a standard 31-team NHL database.

- A complete cleanup of NHL staff (although you will notice I only go 4-deep on scouts - scouting staffs are huge so I tend to just focus on scouting directors and heads) and eliminating all the ancient old free agent staff who are retired...or deceased)

- Adding a ton of 2004 and 2005 born prospects with lots of potential to fill out future drafts to keep your NHLX team building viable and exciting well into the future. Real, young players with solid starting ratings and high potentials. I subscribe to several online scouting services to simply get enough info to help populate these players - of course at that age, sometimes vitals are hard to find and of course the scouting reports are fairly basic - but at least there's enough info to fill in a few blanks and keep real players in the game as long as possible. As player development is so fluid, new prospects and revised potentials change from update to update with the database. For example - so far over 110+ 2005-born prospects - all with roles and ratings worthy of potentially getting drafted and many will be stars and impact players as early as their rookie post-draft seasons.

- And I've started adding real future teams beyond the 19-20 update (complete with graphics) such as the Cranbrook Bucks to the BCHL (begin play in 20-21) and moving Trinity Western from the BICHL to the playable U Sports league (another move for 20-21) but it may
temporarily render a few of these smaller/junior leagues temporarily unplayable in full-GM mode. I know the CJHL setup won't work at the moment because I have integrated Cranbrook into the BCHL schedule template.

- Other extra goodies...the WHA, Latinoamericana Superliga, International Club Cup, playable Aussie and NZ leagues, Fed Cup, KHL expansion, NCAA expansion, playable U Sports (pending adjustments as noted above), added promotion/relegation to top European leagues.

Enjoy - always looking for feedback - keep in mind as always, the NHLX-series is somewhat experimental in nature!
This is dope man. If you ever want some info on younger prospects or NCAA recruits I've watched a lot of the better ones I'm happy to help you get a read on them for ratings just PM me or whatever

Hotwinglol

Nov 26, 2019
I also dont see a readme file for directions on where to put the graphics folder. Sorry for all the questions lol.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I also dont see a readme file for directions on where to put the graphics folder. Sorry for all the questions lol.

The graphics pack zip should be a "pictures" folder as the base so if you unzip the ZIP file into the data folder (where pictures resides...see below) and just over-write when asked you should be good to go. PS - re-download the database file if you got it before this afternoon its been updated with the Coyle and Wagner extensions and some other tweaks.

77ad9d6b1d80fb2509b4527587c34b99.png

Reactions: Dirty Dog

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So as proof of concept and just to track both the NHLX database prospects and how well the expansion teams build with the draft, I'm going to document some of my test sim draft results.

Here are the results of the top 3 rounds of the 2020 NHL Draft - keep in mind the league is 36 teams so each round is 36 picks long. I'll put the image in spoiler tags because it is long but take a peek - I'm pretty pleased with how it is being simulated based on current consensus projections. You'll see the pick, drafted by and then the final draft rankings along the right side - so you can see which teams went off the board.

The top 10 looks pretty darn solid compared to consensus...Lafreniere and Byfield are the strong 1-2. Goalie don't usually go high but Askarov is worth it. Drysdale seem low at 9 but this draft there was a run on forwards early and Barron at #12 was the only other defender in the top 15. Buffalo really went off the board with a goalie at #19 for some reason. Mysak, Amirov, Wallinder and Schneider seem a bit low compared to how I have them rated but there will be fallers in every draft. Also - projected bad draft for Americans results in bad draft for Americans - defender Jake Sanderson the top USA player picked at #27 while two others (Tonio Stranges and Ty Smilanic) sneak into the end of the 1st Round - but only because the NHLX rounds are 36 picks long!

As for the expansion teams first crops:

Houston: Big winners picking up a franchise forward in Alexis Lafreniere who will star as a rookie. They got slick offensive defender Lukas Cormier in Round 2 along with Czech goalie Jan Bednar. Skilled Russian forward Marat Khusnutdinov was the pick in Round 3.

Portland: Picked up monster franchise center Quinton Byfield with the second pick...he's definitely more raw but he has the size to project into the NHL on day one. Russian winger Rodion Amirov was 1st round value with their 2nd Round pick and the 'Jacks picked up more great value in Round 3 with OHL star Jacob Perreault and super talented Swedish center Theodor Niederbach. Home run draft IMO.

Toronto: The Toros missed out on the big forwards so they went with the most talented and hyped goalie prospect in many years with the fourth overall pick, selecting hyper-agile Russian Yaroslav Askarov. Smooth-skating WHL defender Kaiden Guhle (once viewed as a top 10 type talent a year ago) was their Second Round pick and QMJHL defender William Villeneuve was the Third Round pick. Clearly building from the net out...

Quebec: The Nordiques did pretty decent their inaugural season so they had to wait till pick #10 - but they got a dandy in all-around centerman Connor Zary out of the WHL...a super intelligent and hard-working pivot with skill. The Nords then went Russian with their Second and Third round picks, grabbing center Vasili Ponomaryov from the QMJHL and athletic defender Yan Kuznetsov from the UConn Huskies in the NCAA.

Seattle: The Sockeyes finished only 5 points out of the playoff race so they had to wait till pick #14 where they grabbed Swedish winger Noel Gunler. Oft overshadowed by the more highly selected Lucas Raymond and Alexander Holtz, Gunler is still a good looking potential top 6 winger prospect. Their first of two Second Round picks went for reliable OHL defender Ryan O'Rourke before selecting two American players with their other Second Rounder and Third Rounder - forwards Ryder Rolston and Dylan Peterson.

CLICK SPOILER BELOW FOR TOP 3 ROUND RESULTS
EHM%202020%20Draft.jpg

Last edited:

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Here is another interesting tidbit. 18 year old Kasper Simontaival lead his AHL team in points... but ranked 12th in time on ice... what is the coach doing? leads your team in points, second in goals, and you give him 7:37 of ice time? also 0:00 PP time? why?

Attachments

• Simontaival.png
    Simontaival.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Here is another interesting tidbit. 18 year old Kasper Simontaival lead his AHL team in points... but ranked 12th in time on ice... what is the coach doing? leads your team in points, second in goals, and you give him 7:37 of ice time? also 0:00 PP time? why?

Could be worth reporting on the AI issue reporting thread on TBL.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I too just bought the game. Can someone assist me on downloading players from the NHL and where to go to do this? I'm not tech savvy at all. lol So any help would be really appreciated.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I too just bought the game. Can someone assist me on downloading players from the NHL and where to go to do this? I'm not tech savvy at all. lol So any help would be really appreciated.

You just navigate the Steam Workshop and click Subscribe, the content will be downloaded and activated in your game, you can select the new database when you go to start a new sim.

Reactions: TNT87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->