Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
You say you created a 39 year old player who retires at age 18/19 HaHa

Have you ever checked with the EHM Assistant to see what the Attributes are in game after you've started? The game has "sanity checks" so you can't just give players any ratings you want (the game will change things at startup) - for a bunch of 20s you'd likely need the player to be an adult and have a CA of one of the top players worldwide.

The Player Role also affects things (such as causing the game to reduce ratings for the Non-Essential/Irrelevant Attributes if they're to high); also, if you don't have a Player Role set the game will select one and that can significantly change the Attributes. And I'm not sure "partially completed" Attributes work out so well (if things aren't inputted within reason, or they're not completely inputted, the game doesn't necessarily work with what you've given it without changing anything)

In the TBL Data Editing Forum I've explained what I learned from testing and/or what I learned from Riz - for example, the "EHM:EA Attribute testing" thread EHM:EA Attribute testing - Page 2 - EHM The Blue Line will tell you which Attributes in development never change in game, which change only a bit over time, and which change the most; there's also threads of mine with explanations/testing regarding the Player Roles and Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Attributes & a small editing guide too

Have you created a whole hockey system in his country of origin? I don't think just creating a young free agent player from a non-hockey country is enough (especially if they aren't starting on a team, don't have anywhere to play in their home country, and have low ratings in certain relevant Attributes such as Adaptability (ability to play outside their home country) and Ambition (desire to play/develop)

Maybe if you put the player on a team in a hockey country to start (in the database ensure the Contracted To/Playing For is filled in) and give a high PA and high ratings in Adaptability and Determination, Ambition and Pressure as well

P.S. The regen system is different in EHM1 than it was before, and Riz told me that pretty much everything might be changed with a regen...so while PA and country of origin may be likely not to change, it's not guaranteed (and if there's nowhere for the player to play in their home country and their Adaptability/Ambition are low I can see why they'd never develop/reach a high PA and end up retiring early)

All of this information definitely helped, and I'll take a look at that guide. I guess I was thinking that regen/newgen would be sort of like EHM 07, where the newly generated player would bear almost the same growth and development as the player who retires. I figured that during the regen period, many non-traditional hockey market countries (Turkmenistan, Qatar, Greece etc) will populate many US and Canadian obscure minor hockey leagues. So perhaps my prospect would somehow come up, but it does not seem that way!

I had pictured creating a 'Wayne Gretzky meets Connor McDavid' type prospect from some obscure country and see where that would go. By 'forcing' the attributes to be all 20s in mostly everything (including making PA and CA 200) during the players stage where he is retiring, I thought that it would create a prospect that would start off with high attributes right off the bat. Of course, this was only for experiential purposes.

thanks for the big help Nino! :thumbu:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Quick question for the latest @xECK29x rosters: in the scouting reports, you can no longer see the player's personality traits, and none of the players list any favorite players in their Information tab. By design, or bug?

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
All of this information definitely helped, and I'll take a look at that guide. I guess I was thinking that regen/newgen would be sort of like EHM 07, where the newly generated player would bear almost the same growth and development as the player who retires. I figured that during the regen period, many non-traditional hockey market countries (Turkmenistan, Qatar, Greece etc) will populate many US and Canadian obscure minor hockey leagues. So perhaps my prospect would somehow come up, but it does not seem that way!
I've seen some say it's similiar/the same but I haven't seen the screenshots/proof (like people did with EHM07).

I did some regen testing with the new EHM and it didn't seem to be the same regen system as EHM07 to me (I looked at things over decades and as I recall players with AHL/NLA/SHL talent level would appear and disappear from "smaller/lesser known" countries without showing obvious signs of the regen system of EHM07) EHM1 Regen Testing (2016) - EHM The Blue Line

Unfortunately tables aren't showing properly at TBL anymore (hopefully they will again someday!), so it's hard to easily review the data I posted

I had pictured creating a 'Wayne Gretzky meets Connor McDavid' type prospect from some obscure country and see where that would go. By 'forcing' the attributes to be all 20s in mostly everything (including making PA and CA 200) during the players stage where he is retiring, I thought that it would create a prospect that would start off with high attributes right off the bat. Of course, this was only for experiential purposes.
In blue/red below is what I said to CJ (from TBL) in a PM about the starting CA to use for young players, from last June...

I've added the red highlight today to emphasize what you might be most interested in

I suggest trying your player with a 60 or 80 or maybe a 100 CA to start; again, somewhere to play in his home country OR a team Contracted To/Playing For to start is probably more important than Attributes...if you're still having troubles getting it to work maybe make the starting team as well known as you can with maybe a "Favourite Team" added into the database for the player, and make the Favourite Team a well known Junior level team)

You don't necessarily need to put the player in old to regen, you can create them with any age/birthday and they'll stay dormant (and unseen ingame) until they're 14 - so you can put them in as age 13 or age 2 or age -10 HaHa & the player's CA/height/weight/Attributes will stay the same as inputted until they're in game and then they'll begin to develop normally.....so create all future players (under age 14) with a CA and height/weight and Attributes as if they were age 14

Another issue worth noting is database size and how the game lets you select among different sizes - maybe ensure you're using the biggest database size you can (players from obscure/non-hockey nations may not survive the reduction to a smaller database)

Here's what I said to CJ...

I'm deciding on what CA range to have for those players that are not ingame at startup because they're to young (players under age 14 or not yet born when the game starts)
  • From testing I did it seems if the CA is 0 at startup the game gives a max of just over 60 (and roughly a 40-60 CA range for players with "NHL level" PAs)

From examples from my testing - looking at players age 0-8 who had a starting CA of 0
  • players with a 190-200 PA received CAs of 58, 58, 60 and 61
  • players with a 179-189 PA recieve4d CAs of 55, 55, 55, 56 and 56
  • twenty-four players with a 168-178 PA received CAs ranging from 51-54
  • twenty-one players with a 157-167 PA received CAs ranging from 48-51
  • thirty-one players with a 146-156 PA received CAs ranging from 44-47
So the games giving players with a 0 CA a maximum CA of 61.
But it doesn't limit such players to 61 if their CA is actually entered in the database (I gave Gretzky a 100 CA and the game didn't change it at all at startup).

Regarding actual player creation/inputting Attributes, here's some important key points/general principles from my researching guide Nino's researching guide - EHM The Blue Line

Regarding Attributes, what is key is following
- the average Attribute value for CA Chart
- Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Attributes as per the Player Role

General principles
- Key and Essential Attributes will almost always be at the average or higher than the average Attribute value for the player's CA
- Non-Essential Attributes will almost always be noticeably lower than the average Attribute value for the player's CA
- Irrelevant Attributes will almost always be significantly lower than the average Attribute value for the player's CA

The July 26th post here Player Roles - Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Atts - EHM The Blue Line gives the average Attribute value for CA Chart

So a 60 CA player should have Attributes average out around 7 and a 100 CA player should have Attributes average out at around 10
  • I don't know what the exact calculation is/exactly how the Attributes are weighted (for example, some are affected by age more than others & the different Player Roles and types of Attributes [Key, etc] most definitely plays a significant part)
  • I wouldn't include the permanent/unchanging Attributes in your average calculation myself - for skaters, the following Attributes never change, they don't develop or regress ingame, they always maintain the same value: Aggression, Flair, Consistency, Dirtiness, Pass Tendency, Injury Proneness, Agitation and Adaptability.
  • I have my own calculations for forwards and defensemen that I average out and they don't include the mental Attributes (I suspect these Attributes have a different weighting than the technical/physical Attributes...in general technical/physical Atts start lower because they grow/develop the most)

thanks for the big help Nino! :thumbu:
You're most welcome! :)

Last edited:

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
The early Lidas rosters purposely created/edited a lot of such players into the database, it wasn't randomly generated from the game itself (I don't think it was actually possible for the game itself to randomly generate such a player in EHM07 as the Birth Nation never changed with a regen, and now with the new EHM there's a small chance Birth Nation can change with a regen)

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
The early Lidas rosters purposely created/edited a lot of such players into the database, it wasn't randomly generated from the game itself (I don't think it was actually possible for the game itself to randomly generate such a player in EHM07 as the Birth Nation never changed with a regen, and now with the new EHM there's a small chance Birth Nation can change with a regen)

So basically you are saying Ovechkin's regen can be, let's say, Helmut Schultz from Germany ?

Interesting, didnt know that.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Quick question for the latest @xECK29x rosters: in the scouting reports, you can no longer see the player's personality traits, and none of the players list any favorite players in their Information tab. By design, or bug?

Can you give me an example of a player? I don't usually set favorite players unless I have first hand knowledge of knowing that either from an interview or something so I rarely put that in. I do add family members there though. For personality I don't set those either, I typically let the game randomize them, again I may add more detail there once I start consuming scouting reports from ISS and others I subscribe to, but it's a lot of work to do that deduction.

If someone wants to help me add that detail I'd welcome the assist!

However, if those values were there in one release and gone the next, no idea without looking at a specific example.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
My databases have the same issue with the personality traits and favorite players - even though all that stuff is in the database. I haven't been able to figure it out.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Can you give me an example of a player? I don't usually set favorite players unless I have first hand knowledge of knowing that either from an interview or something so I rarely put that in. I do add family members there though. For personality I don't set those either, I typically let the game randomize them, again I may add more detail there once I start consuming scouting reports from ISS and others I subscribe to, but it's a lot of work to do that deduction.

If someone wants to help me add that detail I'd welcome the assist!

However, if those values were there in one release and gone the next, no idea without looking at a specific example.

Well, I noticed the favorite players issue after the 3.16 update - specific example, Jordan and Nick Schmaltz used to list each other as favorites because obviously they're brothers. Now they don't say anything. But it's general to all players - none of them have favorite players listed. I think that that data might still be in the player data file but just isn't being displayed (which might be what's happening with the personality traits). I also know that a few years ago an update to the EHM database editor briefly triggered the display of a player's consistency rating until a further update fixed it - so I'm wondering if the recent update to the EHM database editor might have either disabled the display of favorites and personality traits altogether, or if it's now an option to set or unset depending on who's editing the database.

I'll be interested to hear any updates.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I think that is the case, I reported it in the thread for the editor. The attributes are in the DB but not showing in game.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
If I wanted to create a QB dman and you had to choose 3-4 attributes that are the most important to apply, what would those be? Physical, mental, or technical. Doesn't matter to me. Just 3-4

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Anyone extracted the standings tables (gives a .txt file) ? I want to put it in Excel or R but the alignment is some random space alignment and I'm having trouble putting it in a nice table form

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think that is the case, I reported it in the thread for the editor. The attributes are in the DB but not showing in game.

UPDATE: Players generated by the game DO have the personality traits displayed, so I'm guessing that it's only the altered DB players are seeing the issue. Hope that helps.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
If I wanted to create a QB dman and you had to choose 3-4 attributes that are the most important to apply, what would those be? Physical, mental, or technical. Doesn't matter to me. Just 3-4
Alas at TBL the tables are a jumble/not formatting, but all the Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Attributes are listed here for every Player Role Player Roles - Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Atts - EHM The Blue Line

Here's the Key Attributes for the playmaker D Player Role

d_playmaker = Vision, Passing, Pass Tendency, Offensive Role
d_playmaker_finesse = Vision, Passing, Offensive Role
d_playmaker_physical = Vision, Passing, Pass Tendency

FYI - I don't think you'll necessarily for sure see the Attributes you enter ingame if you enter only 3-4 Attributes and many/all of the rest of the Attributes are left at 0 (or they're not Key/Essential Attributes but they're to high for the CA)

P.S. Probably the most impactful single edit you can do for any type of player (regardless of position or Player Role) is increasing the Consistency Attribute

Last edited:

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Alas at TBL the tables are a jumble/not formatting, but all the Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Attributes are listed here for every Player Role Player Roles - Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Atts - EHM The Blue Line

Here's the Key Attributes for the playmaker D Player Role

d_playmaker = Vision, Passing, Pass Tendency, Offensive Role
d_playmaker_finesse = Vision, Passing, Offensive Role
d_playmaker_physical = Vision, Passing, Pass Tendency

FYI - I don't think you'll necessarily for sure see the Attributes you enter ingame if you enter only 3-4 Attributes and many/all of the rest of the Attributes are left at 0 (or they're not Key/Essential Attributes but they're to high for the CA)

P.S. Probably the most impactful single edit you can do for any type of player (regardless of position or Player Role) is increasing the Consistency Attribute

Nino is it somehow possible to fix table with these roles ? :)

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
My databases have the same issue with the personality traits and favorite players - even though all that stuff is in the database. I haven't been able to figure it out.

UPDATE: Players generated by the game DO have the personality traits displayed, so I'm guessing that it's only the altered DB players are seeing the issue. Hope that helps.

Regarding the above - It looks like the Pivot Rosters do not have the "DEBUG_MODE" command included in the extra_config.cfg file. Perhaps BK's rosters are in the same position too. Just add this command as a new line in the cfg file (including the quotation marks) and then start a new game (it won't affect saved games). I think this should resolve your issue.

IIRC SI used to/still do take a cautious approach with certain events in game (such as players liking/disliking each other, players going AWOL, drug bans, etc). So these sorts of events were programmed only to effect newgens/regens. The "DEBUG_MODE" overrides this and allows it to affect any player. This is similar to the "ARSE" command in the old Championship Manager games.

I *think* restoring this command will fix things. I think the same goes for the Consistency rating/descriptions of personality.

EDIT: Take a look at this for more background/information: debug_mode site:ehmtheblueline.com - Google Search

Yeah this is incredibly annoying. The parsing engine of the latest version of the forum software isn't working with custom tables. I have tried countless things but to no avail. I know other people using the same software on their own sites have the same issue. I do revisit it with each minor upgrade of the software, but no luck yet.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
v3.16 and Logo Pack v1.10 Released:

Download:

Steam: Steam Workshop :: [2018-19] xECK29x's Premier Pivot Rosters (v3.16)
Non-Steam: Dropbox - xECK29x-Rosters-v3.16.zip

Logo Pack:
Steam: Steam Workshop :: Logo Pack (v1.10) for xECK29x's Premier Pivot Rosters (by Dani9 + BKArchitect)
Non-Steam: Dropbox - xECK29x-Logos-1.10.zip

General Updates:
- Promoted Kazakhstan to World Championships for WJ20 (will have to be included in WC pool as well, game is strictly based on IIHF score to be added to pool)
- Updated IIHF scores from: IIHF - World Ranking
- Updated IIHF tournament eligibility from: IIHF - Tournaments
- WJC U20 updates:
-- Teams: Slovakia, Kazakhstan, Denmark, Switzerland, Canada, Russia

Database Optimization:
- Removed some of the 2018 forced retirements and moved/removed a bunch of the retired numbers from the extra_config.cfg to the database directly to reduce potential crashes. This file may need further optimization, **if you get a crash at 'Creating Shortlists' let me know**

NHL/AHL Updates:
- Latest notable trades, waiver claims and contract extensions
- HUGE thanks to LegendOFme for helping with adding 2017-18 career histories to NHL/AHL players! These are now complete!
- Colorado Avalanche (attendance, player records, retired numbers, players & staff)
- Colorado Eagles (attendance, player & club records, retired numbers, players & staff)
- Utah Grizzles (player & club records, rivals, players & staff)

Europe-at-large Updates:
- Changed Germany and Finland financial numbers to balance out Europe more realistically - thanks Aalstrom!
- Gave all clubs in EBEL, DEL, Liiga, SHL, Czech Tipsport and Swiss League maximum budgets at start, this is similar to how I have the NHL set. I know it may not be realistic but I believe it will be more fun in the long run if there isn't hard coded parity in the sim. Let desire to spend and financial constraints be limited based on ownership traits, market size and fan support.
- Added European University Hockey League (EUHL)
- Removed Alps Hockey League from human-playability, the league does not seem to function properly, teams automatically drop 90% of the players, have to investigate and re-build. Also I don't think this was very popular with the player-base.

Canadian Updates:
- Finally implemented 2018-19 68 game WHL schedule
- Updated CJHL transfer rules (underage/overage player counts) - thanks MrGeeky!
- Added Ligue Nord-Américaine du Hockey as human-playable again, changed Berlin to St-Jerome and fully updated - thanks Matee!
- Added transactions from QMJHL trade deadline still have to review draft picks - thanks MrGeeky!
- Added player histories to Hamilton Bulldogs, Kingston Frontenacs, Kitchener Rangers + London Knights players - thanks Trajan!

Germany Updates:
- DEL players/staff updated - thanks ppaalloo!

Austrian Updates:
- Re-updated players/staff for EBEL - Thanks ppaalloo!
- Added club history for EBEL clubs - Thanks ESHMfan01!

Czech Updates:
- Updated several club names for all levels and added clubs to Czech Krajské hokejové - thanks Matee!

Finnish Updates:
- Removed Suomi-Sarja from human-playability as a new structure and schedule needs to be created, relegation between Liiga/Mestis/Suomi-Sarja still functions.

Russian Updates:
- Added several future arena moves (Sibir, Avangard, Avtomobilist and Spartak) as well as some other KHL changes - thanks Alessandro!
- Removed Russian National Junior Hockey League from human-playability

Swiss Updates:
- Updated Swiss National League (NLA)/ Swiss League (NLB) players & staff - thanks ppaalloo
- Updated MySports teams
- Renamed Swiss First Division to Swiss 1. Amateur Regio League
- Renamed Swiss Second Division to Swiss 2. Amateur Regio League

Slovenian Updates:
- Updated all Slovenian players/staff in the DB! - thanks Matee!

Slovakian Updates:
- Thank you ppaalloo for all of the following:
- Re-updated players/staff for Tipsport Extraliga and St. Nicolaus League
- Updated club names of several teams
- Updated/retired lots of Slovakian players/staff

Polish Updates:
- Thank you Matee for all of the following:
- Updated Polish club names, added Polska Hokej Liga as human-playable
- Retired a few clubs which are no longer active
- Renamed Polish First League to Polish 1. Liga
- Updated players/staff for PZHL and 1.Liga
- Updated all Polish players/staff in the DB!

Swedish Updates:
- Updated Swedish J20 SuperElit transfer rules removing the foreign player restrictions - thanks Aalstrom!

Kazakhstan Updates:
- Added U18 division and clubs/affiliations

Danish Updates:
- Changed name of Danish First Division to Danish 1. Division

Noticed you've got J.T. Miller as a centre(probably will remain a left wing) and he's pretty highly rated.
Same goes for Namestnikov on NyR, but right wing.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Noticed you've got J.T. Miller as a centre(probably will remain a left wing) and he's pretty highly rated.
Same goes for Namestnikov on NyR, but right wing.

Yea still have some touch ups to do as most of the ratings are still from the start of the season. Will make sure these are updated though!

Last edited:
Reactions: MasterMatt25
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
IIRC SI used to/still do take a cautious approach with certain events in game (such as players liking/disliking each other, players going AWOL, drug bans, etc).

This always intrigued me, is there something internally the game does that ‘checks’ if players like/dislike each other? Even on Football Manager, there will be some instances where two players will like/dislike each other, but they have never played with each other.

Even on EHM, I had a regen player in juniors say their favorite player was someone who was in the NHL but their names didn’t correlate together. (Could’ve been the Staal brothers regen?)

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Is there a way to make it so that when I go on vacation I dont automatically shit talk my player to the media? I do it every single time and I don't know why

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Is there a way to make it so that when I go on vacation I dont automatically **** talk my player to the media? I do it every single time and I don't know why

Vacation, as a rule, sucks. No matter what you set your GM options to, SOMETHING in the AI always screws with your team. From criticizing players to changing a player's status on you without warning (no matter how good my EHM Coyotes assistant GM is in any particular save, for instance, he always - always - changes Dave Bolland and Marian Hossa from "Not needed" to "Depth" when I go on vacation - and those guys are retirement fodder), to releasing depth/fringe players you want to keep when you sign prospects in the late spring... the EHM AI has it in for you if you let it take over for any length of time.

Reactions: DaveG

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Is there a way to make it so that when I go on vacation I dont automatically **** talk my player to the media? I do it every single time and I don't know why

Did you try using the "auto continue when single gm" ? If you dont touch anything it will just continue the day to day process

but if you have mail then it will stop unfortunately

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I never do vacation. I keep myself occupied with setting up exhibition schedules, tours, and whatnot.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad