Review: Easton Stealth V9E & Stealth CT7.5

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I picked up two new sticks for this season and I figured I would check in with a quick review and updates.

I'm a recovering stick junkie and typically am super picky about what I use. But between work and kids, I don't have the free time and money to tinker as much as I used to. My sticks have seen heavy use the last few years and the curves are all over the map. So I wanted to simplify and get two one piece sticks with two different curves that I could use at either forward or defense.

The V9E cost $139 on clearance while the CT7.5 cost $119 as a regular price stick (I believe an SMU for Total Hockey). So the CT7.5 could be considered a price point while the V9E is a high end stick.

Here are the specs:

Easton Stealth V9E = 65 flex E36 curve
Easton Stealth CT7.5 = 65 flex E28 curve

Graphics:

The V9E is the "elite" edition, which has a silver and black shaft with a natural matte finish blade. It looks both flashy yet subdued. The CT7.5 has a white to black fade on the shaft with a natural matte finish on the blade and EASTON in a silver outline in the taper section. It looks really nice in my opinion. The V9E has a smaller weave wrap on the blade vs the CT7.5. Both sticks have really stupid graphics near the toe which would be exposed unless you tape over. Dislike that. The CT7.5 is painted on the bottom of the blade which is odd.

Weight and Balance:

I have already cut and taped these but can weigh them using a food scale. The V9E is listed at 430 grams while the CT7.5 doesn't have a listed weight. I would guess it's between 450-475? The V9E is mostly balanced but a touch blade heavy which makes it feel a little heavier in the hands. The CT7.5 is a little better balanced in my opinion and feels a bit lighter in the hands even though it's probably heavier.

Grip and Shape:

Both sticks have a smooth grip coating. The CT7.5 may be a touch more grippy. Both sticks have a fairly boxy shaft although the diameter is smaller being an intermediate. Both sticks have an oval taper section that narrows in width while widening in depth. The CT7.5 appears to be slightly wider than the V9E in shaft depth above the hosel.

Puck Feel and Passing:

Both sticks have really good puck feel. The V9E may be a touch more muted in feel but stickhandling is comfortable with both. Very impressed with the CT7.5 feel given it is a price point model. These cheaper sticks keep improving. Catching hard passes is easy with both of them. Both are comparable to high end sticks produced over the last several years.

Flex, Kick, and Shooting:

I believe that the V9E is supposed to have a dual kick point while the CT7.5 is low kick. The V9E does feel a bit softer in flex and a bit easier to load. Shooting feels a bit more natural with that kick point but I am hoping the CT7.5 breaks in a touch. I have rarely used low kick sticks in recent years to there is some adjustment. Slap shots seem better with the V9E, although I am not sure if it's the curve. Wrist and snap shots seem better with the CT7.5 but that again may be the curve. The E28 is more open and more of a toe than the E36 so that will affect shots.

Overall:

I haven't used Easton one piece sticks before, but both seem nice from the start.

The V9E is a solid all-around stick that should work with any kind of player. It reminds me of a lighter, more durable, more predictable wood stick. With the neutral curve, I will favor this stick while playing defense. I definitely wouldn't pay the $250 or whatever the original retail price was as it doesn't have the very light feel of a high end stick, but at the clearance price it is a good buy.

The CT7.5 is impressive for a price point stick. It is well balanced with good weight and puck feel. I wonder if I shouldn't have tried the Synergy 80 instead as it's mid kick, but the flex on that seemed a little stiff. Either way, I would definitely recommend this for any level of player looking for a good stick that doesn't break the bank. If other price points are performing at this level, I might be a convert.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Good writeup Jarick. V9E is low-kick; what are you referring to in dual kick? Stealth family sticks have had the similar elliptical taper since the S17.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I thought that the V9E had a "dynamic" flex or something that shifted the kick point higher while the V9 had the ultra low kick? I have no idea. It feels a bit softer and it feels like it flexes a bit higher in the shaft compared to the 7.5.

I'll try and get some pics up if I remember...

I weighed the sticks yesterday. They are all cut down and taped up, so it's not a proper weight, but still useful for comparison sake.

Easton V9E ~ 425g
Easton CT7.5 ~ 445g

And some other sticks:

Warrior Covert DT2 ~ 425g
Warrior Covert DT4 LT ~ 495g
Warrior Dynasty 2-Piece, Miken Z9, Montreal M95 all between 460-475g

Interesting notes:

The Covert DT2 feels lighter than the V9E even though they are the same weight, likely because of the balance.

Look at how much lighter the CT7.5 is compared to the DT4 LT, both price point sticks. The DT4 has decent balance for the weight but the CT7.5 is much lighter with better feel. For roughly the same price when new.

The CT7.5 is a little lighter than a 2-piece high end stick.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Several more skates with these sticks.

I've been using the V9E almost exclusively. The first few skates, the V9E felt a bit short and I was fanning on passes and shots. I switched over to the CT7.5 for a couple games, but I was missing the net a ton and the flex felt a little off. Ended up putting literally about a 1/2" plug into the V9E to make it a touch longer and it feels perfect. The tame curve seems to keep my wild shots in check and it's really nice for both passing and shooting. Slappers still feel great.

I'm going to switch over to the CT7.5 for tomorrow's skate just to give it another go.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Follow up:

Went back to the E28 curve pretty much exclusively for the last month. I just feel comfortable with it and can pick corners.

The CT7.5 is a great value but is not immune to smashing on the boards :laugh: Dumb move on my part, but I've been hobbled on a bad knee for two weeks, then right as I got healthy a guy took me out at the knees.

Anyways, it's on sale for $69 so I may pick up another or try out the Synergy 80.

Very impressed with these price point sticks. Great puck feel, great shooting, not elite weight and balance but coming from where we were 10 years ago, unbelievable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad