Equipment: Easton Mako 2 Skates

Dont Hinder Jinder

Friend of Rick Bognar
Oct 14, 2011
Hey guys, I'm in the market for new skates still rocking my Nike Quests so I think it's time for an upgrade. I've done my due diligence and read up on the Mako 2 skate and all of it's features and fit sound very appealing to me. However, I haven't been able to find any long term reviews on the skate. This is a concern for me because the original Mako skate was notorious for breaking down. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these skates or can point me in the right direction to find some long term reviews on this particular product.

Thanks!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I haven't had any long term experience or heard of any long term reviews, but I have skated on them. Easton made a conscious effort in improving the durability and comfort of the 2s vs the originals. Especially in the upper ankle and the carbon heel.

If I had the money and needed a new pair of skates away from my RBZs, I would definitely get these. They're the best molding skate on the market and can completely wrap around your foot like a running shoe. I like their aggressive lean as well. The entire package seems so natural. If there's anything else you want to know, don't hesitate.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
I haven't had any long term experience or heard of any long term reviews, but I have skated on them. Easton made a conscious effort in improving the durability and comfort of the 2s vs the originals. Especially in the upper ankle and the carbon heel.

If I had the money and needed a new pair of skates away from my RBZs, I would definitely get these. They're the best molding skate on the market and can completely wrap around your foot like a running shoe. I like their aggressive lean as well. The entire package seems so natural. If there's anything else you want to know, don't hesitate.

What skates do you skate in. I know personal preference and all that stuff, but just curious to know which one you wear.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
The Mako I skate is what I've been using, and regarding the pitch of the skate (assuming unchanged for Mako II), it kind of forces me to always be playing aggressive. This can suck when playing 4v4 shinny on full ice for 2 hours with only 1 sub because I have a harder time reserving energy while wearing them, but man, when I have fresh legs with those skates on they are great for me.

Also, I was having upper ankle pain, 2 bleeding bumps just above the ankle. This was easily fixed by switching to waxed laces, and lacing the skate differently for the top hole on each side, each skate (laces in through the outside, instead of inside to out).

I do feel a bit too forward sometimes. It took some getting used to, not sure what it would be like to go back now though.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, you can always profile them to be more neutral, that shouldn't be holding you back.

They fixed the ankle issue on the 2s.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Well, you can always profile them to be more neutral, that shouldn't be holding you back.

They fixed the ankle issue on the 2s.

True, but I sort of like the pitch for when I have fresh legs because I am all over the place. Although I may get them profiled to be more neutral. Would any LHS be able to do that easily? Mine sharpened my skates 5/8 instead of 9/16, and didn't cross-grind the first time so I don't really trust them with skates.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Ask them if and how they do it. I wouldn't worry about the 5/8 thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad