Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (BOS Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.2%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 20.4%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 443 29.4%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 258 17.1%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 21 1.4%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.5%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 191 12.7%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 153 10.2%

• Total voters

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Much as I don't like the whole ref conspiracy theory idea. Wes McCauley and the Leafs are just... weird. Have they ever won a game he's reffed of theirs?
I think their playoff record is something absurd like 0-9 in games he calls, could be wrong, but I know it's really bad. But not even the record, just the crap that happens when he officiates our games. Our guys get run over, head shots, knee on knee, etc. uncalled, we retaliate and it's a 5 minute major, and then he starts calling penalties when tempers and the game is out of hand.

Just two officials who I genuinely believe are corrupt/biased, other refs seem to be bad but it's equally bad for both teams. With those 2 guys though, it's unbearable, I literally get deflated instantly whenever I see their names.

Obviously not every game was lost because of him, but there are more than a couple which he absolutely threw. Give me anyone else, anyyyyyyone, bring back Tim Peel even, just please no McCauley or Lee.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Just no Wes McCauley or Chris Lee, that's all I ask. Literally anyone else, just please not them. I think all officials (like players) have good and bad games, but those two guys are completely biased and should not be allowed to officiate a Leafs game. Just give me anyone else and I don't care lol, I will lose my shit if we get either of them.

Bruins fans don’t want Lee either.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Wes mcauley is weird. I believe he is from Ontario, so he is overzealous and wants everyone to know that he is not biased in anyway.
He also has a big ego and seems to want to make the game about him. Dude thinks fans are there to watch him, and I guess in a roundabout way he's made that come true

Reactions: Enniskillen

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Toronto has no chance in winning this series. The goaltending is outrageously bad. You can pretty much expect Swayman to be in top forum to start. Likely shuts the Leafs out. That will be the difference.
I don’t agree with this as all. I give the edge to Boston but Toronto could absolutely win this. It’s going to be a good series.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
I have Leafs in 5.

Just don’t think Boston will have the depth to score enough in this series.
Bruins out scored the leafs 15-7 this season in head to head. Not sure why people keep discounting the season series, but the numbers don’t bode well for the leafs chances in the PO. The Bruins dominated the leafs this year.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Bruins out scored the leafs 15-7 this season in head to head. Not sure why people keep discounting the season series, but the numbers don’t bode well for the leafs chances in the PO. The Bruins dominated the leafs this year.
Because it often doesn't correlate with playoffs? For example, Vegas went 1-2-1 against the Oilers and 0-1-2 against the Stars last year and took both series in 6 games en route to a Cup. Also the last two-game set Leafs played against the Bruins they started Woll for both games who just returned from a high ankle sprain that caused him to miss 3+ months, plus the team was ravaged by the flu / injuries. It's a long season with a lot of noise and variance, teams aren't always playing up to their best especially with games spread out over the year.

Reactions: wintersej

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Matthews had 5 goals and 9 points in 6 games against Tampa, was 2nd among all forwards in hits and kept Kucherov scoreless head to head at ES.

Is that not showing up?

Marner had 11 points that series as well

In fact, Nylander was by far the worst of the 3 in that series and is the only one you’re not worried about. So you’re not watching the games.
Don’t forget Matthews and Marner are 20th and 25th in active players , playoff points per game. Certainly not the elite we expect, but not near what he’s selling either

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Bruins PP is embarrassingly worthless which gives Toronto's goaltending a chance. Playoff teams should be around 40% in a series against the Toronto defense/goalies, but the Bruins will be lucky to reach 10%.

Special teams will decide this series. Bruins PK and goaltending will need to shut down the lethal Toronto PP.
our powerplay sucks too, we've been winning by being the best 5v5 team in hockey since the new year

The90

Feb 27, 2017
It’s really about the playoffs. Matthews is coming off his best season and he’s hot going into the playoffs. If ever there was a time for him to show up this is it. As for Marner, I’m less confident in him but the same thing applies. It’s not just that the Leafs have lost, it’s that their best players have underperformed. No time like the present to flip the script.
that’s the same Marner that’s 20th in active player, playoff points per game, correct?

Much as I don't like the whole ref conspiracy theory idea. Wes McCauley and the Leafs are just... weird. Have they ever won a game he's reffed of theirs?
Such a conflict of interest. I have no idea how that’s even remotely ok for Macauley to ref their games

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyCrap

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Creating fake narratives never stopped anyone with the dumb BS about the fans chanting last year lol classic MJ thing, it doesn't need to be true, you just need to believe. Florida believed that shit and used it to motivate them. The Leafs should do the same thing.

You watch too much tsn my friend

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
So it's been 50 years since the Leafs won a series vs the Bruins, 2 years since they won a game against the Bruins, AND the Bruins maybe possibly purposefully "tanked" in order to play the Leafs viewing them as an easy out.

The combination of these things SHOULD make the Bruins not just heavy favorites but near guarenteed to win. A loss of this series would be one of the biggest choke jobs of all time.

Defense mechanisms already firmly in place I see.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Defense mechanisms already firmly in place I see.

The Bruins are the more experienced team, been the better team for several years both in the regular season and playoffs, and the Leafs haven't beaten them in an alarmingly long time. Bruins are the clear heavy favorite.

Especially if it doesn't go to 7 games, it is an all time choke job. Not like Tampa vs CBJ bad but pretty bad. Worse than Bruins vs Flyers loss for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Bruins are the more experienced team, been the better team for several years both in the regular season and playoffs, and the Leafs haven't beaten them in an alarmingly long time. Bruins are the clear heavy favorite.

Especially if it doesn't go to 7 games, it is an all time choke job. Not like Tampa vs CBJ bad but pretty bad. Worse than Bruins vs Flyers loss for sure.
I don't think there's a heavy favourite in this series. I'd take Boston but TO could easily take it if they get their scoring going.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't think there's a heavy favourite in this series. I'd take Boston but TO could easily take it if they get their scoring going.

I see the best in my team, and I think if they play like we've seen them play the 2nd half of the season they can win. But I disagree, they are clearly the favorites for the reasons I outlined.

The Leafs haven't beaten the Bruins since November 2022.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I see the best in my team, and I think if they play like we've seen them play the 2nd half of the season they can win. But I disagree, they are clearly the favorites for the reasons I outlined.

The Leafs haven't beaten the Bruins since November 2022.
I get that. I'd choose the Bruins as well.

At the end of the day though, the Leafs have the talent to win. Either team could stomp the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad