Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (BOS Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.3%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 308 20.5%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 439 29.3%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 258 17.2%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 21 1.4%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 39 2.6%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 191 12.7%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 149 9.9%

• Total voters

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Matthews had 5 goals and 9 points in 6 games against Tampa, was 2nd among all forwards in hits and kept Kucherov scoreless head to head at ES.

Is that not showing up?

Marner had 11 points that series as well

In fact, Nylander was by far the worst of the 3 in that series and is the only one you’re not worried about. So you’re not watching the games.
One series does not a reputation make. And if I weren’t watching those games I wouldn’t have said what I’ve said on Nylander. He’s been better than his points suggest.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
One series does not a reputation make. And if I weren’t watching those games I wouldn’t have said what I’ve said on Nylander. He’s been better than his points suggest.

Matthews was their best player in most of their playoff series

2016-17 Washington
2018-19 Boston
2019-20 Columbus
2021-22 Tampa
2022-23 Tampa

He led the team in points and goals in all those series and was a beast defensively

He played poorly in 2017-18 vs Boston in his sophomore season and was injured 2020-21 vs Montreal getting wrist surgery soon after.

You’ve pretty much come full circle to prove my point. Matthews reputation is overblown, he’s actually a solid playoff performer but has been doubted because of the lack of team success (similar to McDavid). He needs a run that will change the narrative and quiet the doubters like McDrais 2021-22 season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Matthews was their best player in most of their playoff series

2016-17 Washington
2018-19 Boston
2019-20 Columbus
2021-22 Tampa
2022-23 Tampa

He led the team in points and goals in all those series and was a beast defensively

He played poorly in 2017-18 vs Boston in his sophomore season and was injured 2020-21 vs Montreal getting wrist surgery soon after.

You’ve pretty much come full circle to prove my point. Matthews reputation is overblown, he’s actually a solid playoff performer but has been doubted because of the lack of team success (similar to McDavid). He needs a run that will change the narrative and quiet the doubters like McDrais 2021-22 season.
Like I said,

I guess the Leafs have nothing to worry about.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Matthews had 5 goals and 9 points in 6 games against Tampa, was 2nd among all forwards in hits and kept Kucherov scoreless head to head at ES.

Is that not showing up?

In fact, Nylander was by far the worst of the 3 in that series and is the only one you’re not worried about. So you’re not watching the games.
Majority of Marners points came in games 1 and 2, he was pretty bad the rest of the way. Rielly, O'Reilly, Schenn and Matthews were great in that series, Nylander and Tavares were good, Marner was good in the first 2 games, mediocre the rest of the way.

With all due respect I think you're too caught up in stat watching, because if you watched the series and remember it, you would know how many garbage time points Marner got in that series, I think he 7 points in the first 2 games if I'm not mistaken.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Now is the time for him, he's 100% healthy and in MVP-level form

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi is a good line for him as well tbh. It's forced him to become more of a puck-dominant player who pushes the game at his will rather than deferring to Marner. It'll be interesting to see how Boston counters it
Domi is a good energy player and will provide a different dimension. There’s no reason Matthews can’t take over this series. But I’ve said that before.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Majority of Marners points came in games 1 and 2, he was pretty bad the rest of the way. Rielly, O'Reilly, Schenn and Matthews were great in that series, Nylander and Tavares were good, Marner was good in the first 2 games, mediocre the rest of the way.

With all due respect I think you're too caught up in stat watching, because if you watched the series and remember it, you would know how many garbage time points Marner got in that series, I think he 7 points in the first 2 games if I'm not mistaken.
The good news for Leafs fans is… the past is the past. It doesn’t matter how you did last year or whatever.

Anyone think Matthews or Marner can’t take over this series? Of course they can. But they need to led the way. Secondary scoring is great but your best players have to be your best players.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The good news for Leafs fans is… the past is the past. It doesn’t matter how you did last year or whatever.

Anyone think Matthews or Marner can’t take over this series? Of course they can. But they need to led the way. Secondary scoring is great but your best players have to be your best players.
Matthews is also going into the playoffs healthy for the first time in 4 years, his wrist was destroyed vs Columbus and Montreal, he was banged up last year as well. Not only has he elevated his game, but going in without injury is a big bonus.

I know Coyle and Zacha have had great years themselves, but I just don't see how either one of those guys are going to contain him. They are not as good defensively as a guy like Danault was for Montreal. Matthews just has to play how he has all year + we need stable goaltending. Those are the 2 biggest keys for Toronto. The depth and role guys will do what they do, but Matthews needs to play like a 69 goal scorer if the Leafs want to be successful.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Drai’s never been less than a point per game.

And yep, McDavid was once… at 20 years old . The following season he was almost two points per game and then 4 in 4. Hardly a bad resume. And after that he absolutely kills it. They both have good playoff reputations because they’ve actually got their points up higher in the postseason than the regular 82. And (more importantly) their goals increased significantly.

Matthews and Marner are nowhere close. And if they want to win this series, they’ll need to show up better than they have.
hey fellas last i checked Toronto is playing Boston not Edmonton so who gives a shit

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So it's been 50 years since the Leafs won a series vs the Bruins, 2 years since they won a game against the Bruins, AND the Bruins maybe possibly purposefully "tanked" in order to play the Leafs viewing them as an easy out.

The combination of these things SHOULD make the Bruins not just heavy favorites but near guarenteed to win. A loss of this series would be one of the biggest choke jobs of all time.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Not a ton of hope for the B's, the offense leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe the goalies steal this series but with Toronto's firepower I'm not counting on it

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Marner was among their best players game 1-4 but a complete no show in 5 and 6. If you remember correctly Willy also no showed in 5 and 6 as well.

I thought Marner had a better series than Nylander against Tampa even thought historically Nylander has been among the Leafs most consistent playoff performers. They both were pretty disappointing though.

Matthews, ROR and Tavares were really the standouts of that series.

Reactions: AvroArrow

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016

Is that not showing up?

And where did these guys go when the games actually got physical against Florida? No doubt they played fantastic against Tampa and deserved that series win, but Tampa was hardly a physical team last season.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Leafs have the edge in skill.

Defence is roughly equal.

Bruins have the edge in goaltending.

Bruins have the edge in coaching.

Let's see how this plays out.

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Defence is roughly equal.
1A92E8FD-246E-460C-9132-92895957AE42.gif

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
The Leafs are due, however I still can’t bring myself to vote that they’ll win the series. Look at all the players Boston lost since last year, it would make sense if the Leafs pull it out but I voted Bruins in 7

• Haha
Reactions: sampollock

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Matthews must be greater than McDavid and vice versa, pretty salty on both sides.
It’s really about the playoffs. Matthews is coming off his best season and he’s hot going into the playoffs. If ever there was a time for him to show up this is it. As for Marner, I’m less confident in him but the same thing applies. It’s not just that the Leafs have lost, it’s that their best players have underperformed. No time like the present to flip the script.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad