Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (BOS Leads 3-1)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.3%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 308 20.7%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 434 29.2%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 257 17.3%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 21 1.4%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 39 2.6%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 193 13.0%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 142 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
They don't play in the hard areas.

I see 4 teams in the East alone that can go toe to toe with the Leafs physically with stars that are more proven in the playoffs and better defenses and goalies.

I think and chose Toronto in 7 to beat Boston in the series, but no one is physically afraid of them nor will they bully anyone, those things are copium for why some fans want to believe things have changed.

They keep switching the deck chairs, when its come down to the main guys for 7 seasons now.

If they can't get up for a Boston team that wanted to get them, what other excuse can there be for that group.

We traded Huby after 115 point season. Great player in the regular season but never had that playoff edge you need.

Stop making excuses. Change the culture.

I don't disagree with the premise of your post, which is that their current stars disappoint in critical moments of the playoffs, but I do disagree that they don't "play in the hard areas."

This is a bit of a misconception. I think it's a bit an outdated narrative from when they played predominantly rush hockey. They're not really that team anymore.

There are some guys who stick to the perimeter, but most of their forwards are not afraid of going to the greasy areas in front of the net. If you look back at the box scores from the Florida / Leafs series, Toronto's opportunities came mostly right in front of Bobrovsky. They just couldn't bury it. Part of that was a great goaltending performance, but part of it also Toronto's core players failing to deliver in the spotlight when they need it the most.

There may certainly be a cultural issue, and I think for some players there's absolutely a mental softness or block. I also agree we could learn something from Florida's trade of Huberdeau, although unfortunately it's not every day a Tkachuk-type player becomes available.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Draisaitl and McDavid were playoff busts until they weren’t. They literally built a reputation based on 1 playoff run, albeit both incredible, followed by a pretty good second run.

Funny enough, Draisaitls breakout playoff performance was at the same age as Matthews is currently.
Draisaitl's breakout playoff performance was 2017.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
That video still makes me cringe.
Anytime he talks to the media nowadays it makes me cringe. I get the media here sucks, but you need to not let it effect you like how Matthews, Willy and even Kessel handled it. Marner is just the opposite and makes it so obvious it gets under his skin.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Anytime he talks to the media nowadays it makes me cringe. I get the media here sucks, but you need to not let it effect you like how Matthews, Willy and even Kessel handled it. Marner is just the opposite and makes it so obvious it gets under his skin.
Yet he also plays it up and seems to want the attention. He plays up the whole hometown boy angle but then also seems uncomfortable at times.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Did anything ever come out about Marner back during the Dubas stuff? I expected Dubas to pull the trigger and move him before the NMC kicked in but then... stuff happened.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I don't disagree with the premise of your post, which is that their current stars disappoint in critical moments of the playoffs, but I do disagree that they don't "play in the hard areas."

This is a bit of a misconception. I think it's a bit an outdated narrative from when they played predominantly rush hockey. They're not really that team anymore.

There are some guys who stick to the perimeter, but most of their forwards are not afraid of going to the greasy areas in front of the net. If you look back at the box scores from the Florida / Leafs series, Toronto's opportunities came mostly right in front of Bobrovsky. They just couldn't bury it. Part of that was a great goaltending performance, but part of it also Toronto's core players failing to deliver in the spotlight when they need it the most.

There may certainly be a cultural issue, and I think for some players there's absolutely a mental softness or block. I also agree we could learn something from Florida's trade of Huberdeau, although unfortunately it's not every day a Tkachuk-type player becomes available.
By hard areas I mean playing the walls, down low in the offensive zone on the cycle. Taking hits to make plays, not relying on rush chances. They play this way in spurts sure, but it's the playoffs you cannot rely on outskilling equally skilled teams every night.

They need to play a physical unrelenting forechecking style to being chaos to the Bruins Dmen to force mistakes. If they don't do that consistently I think Boston wins the series.

But boy are these guys due. 1 playoff win in 7 tries doesn't scream good enough to me. Enough with the individual accomplishments, win as a team.

But these excuses that it's all good, if only for not getting goalied 7 out of 8 rounds in the postseason, they are right there.

They need to decide enough is enough.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

It’s a Florida talking point on how they won last year. Playing the right way etc. omitting that they were heavily outshot and out chanced.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Did anything ever come out about Marner back during the Dubas stuff? I expected Dubas to pull the trigger and move him before the NMC kicked in but then... stuff happened.
Nah, shortly afterwards IIRC shanny said no one is getting moved so that was it. Even if Dubas stayed it sounds like shanny would have blocked any potential trades involving marner/nylander.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
And whether their goaltender can carry them.

The ‘buy in’ was a sham in Florida. Hot goaltender. This year is much different. They’re playing much better defensively. In the playoffs last year they got shelled for 2 rounds and rode Bob to 8, 1 goal wins and a .945 save percentage through 2 rounds. The unfortunate truth.
Weren't we going to miss the playoffs too?

We have 4 series wins in the last two years. However you want to try and justify your boys not getting it done, is fine but let's not pretend your prognostication skills are even remotely tuned correctly.

Hopefully we see each other next round.

Reactions: myleafs

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
21-22 9 points in 7

You’re grasping at straws here though.
To be more specific, Draisaitl's breakout was in the 2nd round in 2017, where he had 13 points. He's demonstrated an ability to take over a playoff series since the beginning. Calling him a "playoff bust" until a couple of years ago is grasping at straws, imo.

Reactions: Leksand

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Draisaitl and McDavid were playoff busts until they weren’t. They literally built a reputation based on 1 playoff run, albeit both incredible, followed by a pretty good second run.

Funny enough, Draisaitls breakout playoff performance was at the same age as Matthews is currently.
Drai regular season 82 game average:
39 goals and 97 points.

Drai playoff averaged over 82:
52 goals 128 points

McDavid regular season 82 game average:
42 goals 125 points

McD playoff averaged over 82:
49 goals 126 points.

There’s never been a problem with those guys in the postseason. Both are well over a point per game. Their team not advancing was in spite of their performances, not because of them.

McD is better in the playoffs than the regular season and Dari’s significantly better.

They are in completely different planets from Marner and Matthews.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
There’s never been a problem with those guys in the postseason. Both are well over a point per game. Their team not advancing was in spite of their performances, not because of them.

Averaged over 82, Drai’s a 128 point playoff player. McDavid’s 126 (two better than his regular season average.) McDavid’s goals per game actually goes up from 43 in the regular season to 49 in the playoffs. He’s awesome in the postseason.

They are in completely different planets from Marner and Matthews.

Revisionist history

Also I’m talking specifically about pre 2021-22

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
To be more specific, Draisaitl's breakout was in the 2nd round in 2017, where he had 13 points. He's demonstrated an ability to take over a playoff series since the beginning. Calling him a "playoff bust" until a couple of years ago is grasping at straws, imo.

And Matthews had 5 goals and 9 points in 6 games against Tampa last season while taking over the playoff series being the best player on the ice for either team.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It’s not revisionist math. The numbers are what they are.

Sorry but the numbers between these two groups of players aren’t close.

Before 21-22

Mcdavid 21 GP 11G 11A 22 Pts

Including once being swept and a 3-1 loss in the Play in against the worst team to qualify

My point is they really changed the narrative after 1 playoff run.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Before 21-22

Mcdavid 21 GP 11G 11A 22 Pts
Drai’s never been less than a point per game.

And yep, McDavid was once… at 20 years old . The following season he was almost two points per game and then 4 in 4. Hardly a bad resume. And after that he absolutely kills it. They both have good playoff reputations because they’ve actually got their points up higher in the postseason than the regular 82. And (more importantly) their goals increased significantly.

Matthews and Marner are nowhere close. And if they want to win this series, they’ll need to show up better than they have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad