Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (BOS Leads 3-1)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.3%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 308 20.7%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 434 29.2%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 257 17.3%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 21 1.4%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 39 2.6%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 193 13.0%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 142 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You named one player.

It was Matthews that scored twice in Game 4 last year vs. Tampa and in Game 6, Tavares scored the OT winner in Game 6, Rielly scored an OT winner etc. If you mean just Marner then say that. Like I said, it's been an issue in years past, but at least in the one series they have won, the stars (most of them) performed well.
it’s great that Matthews had one good series. Where was he vs Florida? Over the regular season he averages 55 goals a year, that drops to 36 in the playoffs. He goes from a 95 point player to 72. Those are huge drops. And like Marner he goes away late in the series.

These guys do not have a good history.

I’m not saying they don’t have the talent to win but their stars not showing up is why they haven’t advanced. Depth scoring is fine - but it doesn’t mean squat if their stars keep groundhogging into a hole when it matters.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think the Leafs can beat the Bruins but their goaltending is probably the worst it's been in the Matthews era.

It looks like they're starting the goalie that had an .890 save percentage this season.

The Leafs best bet is to turn it into a run and gun game like Florida did against Boston last year.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Anyone have an idea when game 3 will be? (1st game in Toronto)

Probably Thursday @ 7-8 unless there's a conflict.

Game 1 is Saturday
Game 2 is likely Monday
Game 3 would likely be Wed/Thurs (I'm leaning Thursday due to travel and the NHL wanting Saturday in Canada)
Game 4 likely Saturday

The only one that's confirmed right now though is Game 1. The rest we'll find out tomorrow.

Reactions: peconcan

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
it’s great that Matthews had one good series. Where was he vs Florida? Over the regular season he averages 55 goals a year, that drops to 36 in the playoffs. He goes from a 95 point player to 72. Those are huge drops. And like Marner he goes away late in the series.

These guys do not have a good history.

I’m not saying they don’t have the talent to win but their stars not showing up is why they haven’t advanced. Depth scoring is fine - but it doesn’t mean squat if their stars keep groundhogging into a hole when it matters.
It will come down to whether or not they buy in fully to how you need to play to win in the playoffs.

They have the offensive firepower to play with anyone, they just never consistently bring it.

Have to break through this time, or sweeping changes are coming.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It will come down to whether or not they buy in fully to how you need to play to win in the playoffs.

They have the offensive firepower to play with anyone, they just never consistently bring it.

Thing is, if they win a cup… nobody will remember the failures. It all gets washed away. They just have to step up.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why they haven’t done it. Marner and Matthews just need to step it up. Nylander’s been by far their best playoff player and they need the other two to be a lot better.

Yes, depth scoring will help. But if your main guys aren’t showing up, you’re not going to win.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Should be a great series. Boston’s D and goaltending vs the Leaf star power up front.
If the Leafs stars underperform again you have to wonder what the off season brings.
How many chances does the core get?

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Thing is, if they win a cup… nobody will remember the failures. It all gets washed away. They just have to step up.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why they haven’t done it. Marner and Matthews just need to step it up. Nylander’s been by far their best playoff player and they need the other two to be a lot better.

Yes, depth scoring will help. But if your main guys aren’t showing up, you’re not going to win.
They don't play in the hard areas.

I see 4 teams in the East alone that can go toe to toe with the Leafs physically with stars that are more proven in the playoffs and better defenses and goalies.

I think and chose Toronto in 7 to beat Boston in the series, but no one is physically afraid of them nor will they bully anyone, those things are copium for why some fans want to believe things have changed.

They keep switching the deck chairs, when its come down to the main guys for 7 seasons now.

If they can't get up for a Boston team that wanted to get them, what other excuse can there be for that group.

We traded Huby after 115 point season. Great player in the regular season but never had that playoff edge you need.

Stop making excuses. Change the culture.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They don't play in the hard areas.

I see 4 teams in the East alone that can go toe to toe with the Leafs physically with stars that are more proven in the playoffs and better defenses and goalies.

I think and chose Toronto in 7 to beat Boston in the series, but no one is physically afraid of them nor will they bully anyone, those things are copium for why some fans want to believe things have changed.

They keep switching the deck chairs, when its come down to the main guys for 7 seasons now.

If they can't get up for a Boston team that wanted to get them, what other excuse can there be for that group.

We traded Huby after 115 point season. Great player in the regular season but never had that playoff edge you need.

Stop making excuses. Change the culture.
I’d have traded Marner a long time ago. I know that’s not a popular opinion but he just doesn’t show up.

Matthews is better but he doesn’t have the urgency either.

You look at Drai and McDavid, they aren’t the Tkachuk brothers but they step it up huge in the playoffs. Their teams lose despite their play. I don’t know how you teach a player to play with heart. It’s way past time for these guys to have stepped up.

They have the talent to go all the way but they’ve wasted so many years. I can understand getting blanked by say… Carey Price. That happens to every team. Sometimes a hot goalie beats you. But to have have only one playoff series victory in all that time is insane.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I’d have traded Marner a long time ago. I know that’s not a popular opinion but he just doesn’t show up.

You look at Drai and McDavid, they aren’t the Tkachuk brothers physically but they step it up huge in the playoffs. Their teams lose despite their play. I don’t know how you teach a player to play with heart. It’s way past time for these guys to have stepped up.

They have the talent to go all the way but they’ve wasted so many years. I can understand getting blanked by say… Carey Price. That happens to every team. Sometimes a hot goalie beats you. But to have have only one playoff series victory in all that time is insane.
No fire, they don't hate losing enough.

In the playoffs it's about WILL and which team can impose it on the other. I don't see that dog, Matthews could be it but he needs to decide to be that guy.

Everyone is good in the playoffs, cant ghost periods or games.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Trying to see the optimistic side as a Leafs fan, but I really don't think this team is it.

The forward group actually has a bit of depth around the key guys, but the defense/goaltending looks like one of the worse iterations of this team's lifespan.

As much as I want the Leafs to finally go deep, I can't see them winning this. Hope I'm wrong.

I'll take Bruins in 5. Part of me expects another hard fought 7 game series but the Bruins live in these guys heads.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Boston isn't some powerhouse physical team. The physicality aspect is likely a wash between the two teams realistically.

I think it will be the opposite. Toronto will bully Boston early and run them out of the building game 1. Boston will try really hard to match it and Toronto's firepower takes over from there. When it swings back, just keep hitting them.

This Toronto team is very different, they no longer play that open ice and speed skating game of the past.

They are actually more dump and chase and a lot more physical too.
I think when you look at the way they built their leads against the Canes , Oilers and Panthers at home a few weeks back is the right way to do it........Leafs broke all 3 of those teams when they played like that, and they were getting up and down the ice quite well , just had trouble holding on to leads.........

When it's time to play physical obviously you do it but the main priority should be to get the most of your main strengths......

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyVirus

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
LMAO :laugh:

8n5nw3.jpg
Hey, those aren't MAPLE leafs! 🤣

The90

Feb 27, 2017

And whether their goaltender can carry them.

The ‘buy in’ was a sham in Florida. Hot goaltender. This year is much different. They’re playing much better defensively. In the playoffs last year they got shelled for 2 rounds and rode Bob to 8, 1 goal wins and a .945 save percentage through 2 rounds. The unfortunate truth.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

You look at Drai and McDavid, they aren’t the Tkachuk brothers but they step it up huge in the playoffs. Their teams lose despite their play. I don’t know how you teach a player to play with heart. It’s way past time for these guys to have stepped up.

Nah thats a pretty popular opinion. People have wanted him gone for 2+ years now. His relationship with the fans has never been the same since he signed his first contract.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Draisaitl and McDavid were playoff busts until they weren’t. They literally built a reputation based on 1 playoff run, albeit both incredible, followed by a pretty good second run.

Funny enough, Draisaitls breakout playoff performance was at the same age as Matthews is currently.

Reactions: Rob Brown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad