Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (BOS Leads 3-1)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 94 6.4%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 304 20.5%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 434 29.3%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 257 17.4%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.4%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 39 2.6%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 193 13.0%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 139 9.4%

• Total voters

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
As a Bruins fan, I'm not sure or sold on how they're going to work their goaltenders in the playoffs. If a guy starts hot, I absolutely hate the idea of switching it up for game two.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Really hoping the Leafs find a way, but wouldn't be surprised if they get bounced in 5.

From what I've seen they haven't looked particularly sharp over the past few games, and the entire season feels like just a series of starts and stops when it comes to encouraging play. If the team had any sort of half decent post-season track record I could figure it's just a team that is bored with the regular season, but... well... ya.

It's cool though... I'm sure everyone will most likely still be around next year for a chance at redemption, or something...:confused:

The most encouraging thing for me is I generally don't usually know what I'm talking about, so perhaps the Leafs are primed for a deep run.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This is pretty much it right here. If bruins get half way decent goaltending it should be an easy win.

If Ullmark continues his sub .900 SV% for a third straight year then it gets dicey

You are underestimating the Leafs. Thinking it’s an easy win just because the bruins get good goaltending is ridiculous imo. There are so many factors. I’d bet this series goes the distance

Reactions: leafsfan5

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You are underestimating the Leafs. Thinking it’s an easy win just because the bruins get good goaltending is ridiculous imo. There are so many factors. I’d bet this series goes the distance

Not only because of good goaltending, but the bruins style of play in general is Toronto’s achillies heal.

Austin matthews has 8 points in 14 games and is a -7 in the playoffs in his career against the bruins. He’s a no show.

Who's projected to start game 1?

Your guess is as good as ours. Swayman had the slightly better year. Ullmark was better down the stretch and the coach hasn’t announced it yet unfortunately.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Not only because of good goaltending, but the bruins style of play in general is Toronto’s achillies heal.

Austin matthews has 8 points in 14 games and is a -7 in the playoffs in his career against the bruins. He’s a no show.
That was so early in Matthews career & when he had the best defensive forward in NHL history playing every shift against him.

I don't think Bergeron is shutting him down this year...

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Leafs in 6, theyll win two more games by outscoring the Bruins in most of the games

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That was so early in Matthews career & when he had the best defensive forward in NHL history playing every shift against him.

I don't think Bergeron is shutting him down this year...

Bruins were also 4-0 against the leafs this year so doesn’t look like much has changed.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
You're being disingenuous here by lumping 2018 and 2019 together. He sucked in 2018 and had only 2 pts in 7 games, and was also playing injured, plus that was only his second year in the league. However, in 2019 he had 6 pts in 7 games, 5 of those being goals, and he led both teams in goal scoring; he was easily the Leafs best player. Only Marchand had more points in that series (4 goals, 5 assists).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Bruins were also 4-0 against the leafs this year so doesn’t look like much has changed.

A 3v3 OT loss. A shootout loss. So we can throw those 2 results out in terms of relevance to playoffs.

And two 4-1 losses against Woll in his first games coming back from being injured for months. The first of the 4-1 losses the Leafs played pretty well and didn’t get any saves, the second one they were bad and outplayed.

Even still, season series isn’t usually overly telling regarding how a playoff series goes.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
A 3v3 OT loss. A shootout loss. So we can throw those 2 results out in terms of relevance to playoffs.

And two 4-1 losses against Woll in his first games coming back from being injured for months. The first of the 4-1 losses the Leafs played pretty well and didn’t get any saves, the second one they were bad and outplayed.

Even still, season series isn’t usually overly telling regarding how a playoff series goes.

Not saying the bruins won’t lose. I’m just saying every bruins fan was hoping we would somehow end up playing the leafs. That was our ideal matchup round 1.

We have dominated the leafs in the past, went 4-0 against them this year and just match up well against them.

Reactions: Sypher04

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Not saying the bruins won’t lose. I’m just saying every bruins fan was hoping we would somehow end up playing the leafs. That was our ideal matchup round 1
The reg season matchup doesnt really matter

Id say the 3 series Ls the leafs had in past 10 years will impact more so

Leafs can they mentally put behind the failures from 13, 18 and 19?

Can they come out strong in gamed 1 and 2 in boston?

Can our special teams handle a boston PP/PK which has damaged us badly previously?

Can the leafs if we go to game 7 at TD garden, be able to weather the storm and take the game?

The leafs core guys from 2018 and 2019 are still the same. They have to show they can overcome their demons and beat the bruins who are older; and weaker on paper.

Reactions: torontoblood

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Not saying the bruins won’t lose. I’m just saying every bruins fan was hoping we would somehow end up playing the leafs. That was our ideal matchup round 1.

We have dominated the leafs in the past, went 4-0 against them this year and just match up well against them.

It’s always interesting seeing how different sides view things because from the Leafs side we are thinking similarly. Ideal matchup & match up well against Boston.

Id say the 3 series Ls the leafs had in past 10 years will impact more so

Really? Seem utterly irrelevant to me. Very different teams on both sides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad