Eastern Conference Power Rankings Position 1

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Bruins, but this is the first year I'm going to throw out this:

At what point has age eroded Chara enough to where he's no longer a #1 defenseman? I know he got nominated for the Norris last year, but I feel like it was more of a reputation nomination than an earned one. He was still a #1 D. You never know how fast or slow this issue will affect a 37 year old, but it's worth pondering.

I think it's a games played thing vs an age thing with him at this point. Chara wasn't Chara in the playoffs, he was fatigued. It was an Olympic year also, but if they manage his minutes and Dougie Hamilton takes the next step they are in good shape, but aren't six deep on the back end.

I think the cap hurts them more than anything this year with their diminished depth.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Going with the Blueshirts. I think they are better than the team that won the East 3 years ago.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think Boston still has the top spot, but not by much. They have taken some blows the last couple of years. They traded Seguin and although they got a decent return, losing Seguin hurt them. Loui E is not the same level of impact as Seguin. And though Thornton may be a 4th line player he was still an important part of that locker room. Chara is getting slower. They let Ference walk. They aren't as deep as they were imo.

Also don't see Pittsburgh as being better than the Rangers overall. Rangers have the edge in net and easily on defense. Offensively Pittsburgh has the edge, however, the rangers have the better depth imo.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Tampa.

Healthy Stamkos and Bishop, great young defense, quick forwards and now with battle-tested veterans.

I say Tampa wins 50+ games.

Boston second.

Agree with you there. I think it is Tampa all the way. They are my pick for the cup. They have the best goalscorer in the NHL IMO, a goaltender who played like a vezina goaltender, and they had a huge off season.

The only way it is not Tampa is if Bishop takes a serious step back.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Agree with you there. I think it is Tampa all the way. They are my pick for the cup. They have the best goalscorer in the NHL IMO, a goaltender who played like a vezina goaltender, and they had a huge off season.

The only way it is not Tampa is if Bishop takes a serious step back.

They have a great coach too. Everybody loves the guy. The only thing that could set them back are the expectations. They haven't been rated this high since the early 2000s.

Boston has a massive chip on their shoulder. They were humiliated in 2010, then won the Cup. The lost in the 1st round in 2012 to a 7 seed, then almost won the Cup.

Boston returns almost the entire 2013 team. Thornton was a big loss because of his leadership, but I think they will scale it back during the regualr season and go on a tear in the playoffs.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Going off the map here a little. I think the Wings are going to dominate their division and re-coup what they've had going. They'll be healthy this year and some of their outstanding young talent along with the obvious vets, will easily get them to the top but eventually will have to "try" and beat us. Woohoo.

Pitt and Boston take huge steps backwards and its a LOT tighter with TB, Det. and us vying for top spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad