East to NAHL

Dec 13, 2010
WBS seems like a done deal. The other two teams are in the NYC metropolitan area but I've heard different things from different people so I don't want to go ahead and start naming them without being sure. The one big rumor was NY Bobcats but I was just told from a team source it's not happening.

From what I was told, it'll be one EHL team and one USPHL team, but not a USPHL team that plays at the Premier level, so no difference there.

Dec 13, 2010
Latest I've heard: NJ, NY (but not Bobcats), Lewiston ME, Philadelphia, WBS will be the markets for NAHL's new Eastern Division. Prevailing belief is that it's NY Aviators but I've heard different things about the rest of the markets.

Kapn Kaveman

Jun 4, 2011
My Guess

1 USPHL Team to the NAHL (Philadelphia??)
Keystone to Wilkes Barre PA (From EHL)
Soo Eagles to New Jersey ..
Michigan Warriors to Brooklyn NY ..
Lewiston ME new NAHL Franchise
Johnstown Tomahawks

Eastern Division of the NAHL ??

Dec 13, 2010
Have to take my word for it since I don't have pictures, but I was just at Tier I youth nationals in Buffalo and saw the WBS Knights coaching staff there in Knights jackets with NAHL patches on the sleeves. Nothing confirmed by the organization but that should say it all.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
My Guess

1 USPHL Team to the NAHL (Philadelphia??)
Keystone to Wilkes Barre PA (From EHL)
Soo Eagles to New Jersey ..
Michigan Warriors to Brooklyn NY ..
Lewiston ME new NAHL Franchise
Johnstown Tomahawks

Eastern Division of the NAHL ??

I remember reading a story that said Soo was staying put, just because Michigan was leaving management confirmed that Soo was staying in the NAHL.

Would be nice for Johnstown to have a few closer teams in the mix. Waiting for Wheeling to close up shop in the ECHL and make the move.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
I remember reading a story that said Soo was staying put, just because Michigan was leaving management confirmed that Soo was staying in the NAHL.

Would be nice for Johnstown to have a few closer teams in the mix. Waiting for Wheeling to close up shop in the ECHL and make the move.

Wouldn't mind seeing Elmira make the jump down to the NAHL either. With teams in Johnstown and Wilkes-Barre and rumors of Jamestown moving back up from the NA3HL it would make for a good little circuit. The Jackals are not viable with the attendance they have been getting the last couple years, and fans are tired of the ECHL product.

Dec 13, 2010
Wouldn't mind seeing Elmira make the jump down to the NAHL either. With teams in Johnstown and Wilkes-Barre and rumors of Jamestown moving back up from the NA3HL it would make for a good little circuit. The Jackals are not viable with the attendance they have been getting the last couple years, and fans are tired of the ECHL product.

I stopped in at a Jackals game about a week and a half ago to take a break from driving (going from NYC to Ontario) and was shocked at how few people were there. Seemed like a couple of die-hards who would watch any hockey in the building and a couple of families who weren't all that interested..not much going on. I had an entire section to myself.

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
The Warriors annoyed Flint fans from the start using Michigan instead of Flint, citing it would be easier to move the team that way. I don't think Brooklyn is going to keep the Michigan name. Good move.:handclap:

RJB

Nov 2, 2013
Realize that there's a lot of speculation so far but would these moves likely happen before the draft> Would there be an expansion draft too?

maineman

Sep 4, 2008
maine
any word on what is going on? we haven't heard anything here in Lewiston Maine.hoping we get one here for this fall.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Might hear something now that Michigan and Keystone have both been knocked out of the playoffs.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

Really interesting that the Ice Miners could potentially stay with that bid for the team and the arena. I am a bit doubtful, but it's intriguing. I made the drive from Pittsburgh to see the Ice Miners a few times this past season. They really put on a great overall experience in an otherwise limited facility, and it's especially a good crowd if the rival Johnstown fans are in house. The attendance is obviously bad and because of the size of the town I'm not sure they could get it much higher. The fans they do have are pretty dedicated though and I'd hate to see them lose their first ever hometown team. But if someone were to own both the rink and the franchise, the costs might be so streamlined that attendance might be nearly irrelevant. If not, it would definitely be a great market for a Tier III team.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Looks like the NAHL finally announced that the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights are officially on board for next year. They're actually acquiring the dormant Dawson Creek franchise, and not one of the rumored active franchises.

The owners already own their arena, so this is likely how they can manage to remain financially viable despite being in the shadow of a pretty successful AHL side. Interesting in light of the rumor that an interested buyer of the Keystone franchise only wants the team if they can buy the arena too.

Another note about Keystone: not only are they not the franchise on the move here, they're specifically referenced as though they're staying put. The NAHL press release speaks of how the WBS Knights will make three Pennsylvania franchises as it joins Johnstown and Keystone. Is another announcement forthcoming?

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=14771
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights join NAHL in 2015-16 season

MAY 1, 2015

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) has announced that the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights, a Pennsylvania-based hockey organization, has been granted a membership into the NAHL effective for the 2015-16 season. The group was granted approval to operate in the NAHL in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton market conditioned upon acquiring, purchasing and relocating the Dawson Creek Rage membership.

“The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights organization is extremely excited to join the NAHL. We are honored to be awarded a membership in one of the elite junior hockey leagues in North America,†said Justin Lyle, who will serve as General Manager and Head Coach of the new team in the NAHL. “We feel we now offer our players the best path of development that will ultimately help them reach the highest levels of hockey. With many junior hockey options in the eastern part of the country, North Eastern Pennsylvania now has a valid higher-level program for the elite junior player that will be highly scouted. The Knights management team is eager to build a team that the great hockey community of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton will be proud of and support enthusiastically.â€

The Knights are the third team in the NAHL that will be based out of the state of Pennsylvania, joining the Johnstown Tomahawks (Johnstown, PA) and the Keystone Ice Miners (Connellsville, PA).

“The state of Pennsylvania has a great hockey tradition, knowledgeable fan base, talented player pool and we expect the Knights to continue their past and current success in the NAHL,†said NAHL Commissioner Mark Frankenfeld. “We feel that the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area is a market that will enhance the growth of our eastern footprint to adapt to the changing landscape of the NAHL and will open up more opportunity and exposure to NCAA and professional scouts.â€

The Knights are under the ownership of Dr. Louis DeNaples Jr. In 2008, DeNaples bought the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights (in order to provide a hockey opportunity for youth in the area. Later, he purchased the Revolution Ice Centre, where the new NAHL team will be based. For the past three years, the Knights have had a junior hockey team that has competed in the Eastern Hockey League (EHL), a USA Hockey-approved Tier III Junior League. It is the Knights mission to develop young athletes in a junior hockey environment and present them with an opportunity to train and develop into next level players. The Knights success has provided the opportunity to bring junior hockey to Northeast Pennsylvania. Along with such great athletic opportunities, the most important mission for each hockey player remains to be personal and emotion awareness, growth and a feeling of success.

The Revolution Ice Center is a two-rink facility that has plans to seat approximately 1,600+ in the main rink for the 2015-16 season. The newly created space includes additional seating, bar rail across the length of the ice, a party suite (in addition to an existing suite) and two corner party decks to create a more enhanced fan environment. The Knights will also have a dedicated locker room, office and training space.

maineman

Sep 4, 2008
maine
Lewiston, Maine will not have a team this year. we will have a Tier 3 team in the NA3EHL, but the owner decided not to take a team here for the NAHL. Hopefully we will get one in the next season.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Lewiston, Maine will not have a team this year. we will have a Tier 3 team in the NA3EHL, but the owner decided not to take a team here for the NAHL. Hopefully we will get one in the next season.

Yeah, I see the Junior Hockey News has reported this now. Probably a good decision. If they can get ownership straightened out for Keystone, and the relocated teams in Wilkes-Barre and New Jersey are successful, there will be a decent division foundation with returning Johnstown.

After a season with that base, they can add Lewiston and hopefully some franchises in between. With the FHL getting the boot from Danbury, you have to imagine the NAHL is eyeing up the arena there. If the FHL also loses the Watertown Wolves there would be a freshly renovated arena there. Jamestown's NA3HL team has also done remarkably well and could be thrown in. Could Pegula's Harborcenter in downtown Buffalo work? Or the Penguins' Iceoplex training center in Washington, Pa that will be without a tenant this summer? The NESC in Marlborough, MA? Conway Arena in Nashua? Notre Dame Arena in Berlin, NH?

My favorite location that would never maintain attendance but would just be awesome to have in a league: the historic Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid, NY. Who wouldn't be tempted to buy a jersey of the Lake Placid Miracles or at least make a road trip to see a game there?

Dec 13, 2010
NESC is owned by the Junior Bruins owner and Harborcenter as an OJHL franchise that does well, those two will never go NA despite being good enough arenas for the league. No clue how many seats are at Conway but they do have an NA3E team

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
Hearing now Rio is closing up to head to Aston, PA. The Ice Works Arena. I believe a local JR team skates out of there.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Hearing now Rio is closing up to head to Aston, PA. The Ice Works Arena. I believe a local JR team skates out of there.

They were given a 48 hr. extension to find a new owner to keep them in Rio Grande. Nothing reported since.

Dec 13, 2010
I'll be at Middletown (NJ Titans) tomorrow for the day. Fairly big East Coast showcase, maybe an indicator for how many they can draw for a big junior game?

Have also been told that at least one other team in the NY metro area has spoken with the NA. Could possibly be 5 or 6 teams in the NA East Division.

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
What do you think the NAHL out east will do the USPHL Premier out east? The USPHL % actually is equal or edged out the NAHL in college D1 commits this year. Most likely because there are so many NA teams-but do you think this will have any effect on the USPHL Premier?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad