Early Vezina discussion!

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
damn this is pretty awesome considering -some- leaf fans were talking about waiving him/worst starter in the league just a month ago

ppl still haven't learned, it's probably gona happen again next october

Uhhh did you mean to post this last year? He was great this October and i dont recall any significant amount of leafs fans complaining about him..

Andersen is the clear frontrunner based on how voters usually operate. Rinne 2nd and Gibson 3rd mainly because it's rare that the good goalie on a bad team (Gibson) gets the votes they should theoretically

Reactions: Kelly

paragon

May 5, 2010
Rinne .948 Saros .903
Andersen .934 Sparks .906
Gibson .928 Miller .929

Not saying Gibson is bad or anything, but how can he be clearly the best when he's not even statistically better than his backup. It was the same thing last season when Miller ended up with better save%. Maybe Carlyle has a way of making his team look bad and his goalies look good. Anyway he needs to be fired asap and Bob Murray as well if he doesn't pull the trigger fast enough.

My top 3 right now is Rinne, Anderson, Halak, but if things keep playing out the way they have Andersen will win the Vezina. He has the wins, the workload and the save%.

It's way too early in the season to make Vezina predictions. Last year around this time Bobrovsky looked like a shoo-in for his third Vezina.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I won't lie and say I've watched a lot of other goalies, but Dubnyk has been as good, or better, than he ever has.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I won't lie and say I've watched a lot of other goalies, but Dubnyk has been as good, or better, than he ever has.

I'm not sure if I would go that far, his first (partial) season with Wild was ridiculous. Don't forget he was 4th in Hart voting that year.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Rinne .948 Saros .903
Andersen .934 Sparks .906
Gibson .928 Miller .929

Not saying Gibson is bad or anything, but how can he be clearly the best when he's not even statistically better than his backup. It was the same thing last season when Miller ended up with better save%. Maybe Carlyle has a way of making his team look bad and his goalies look good. Anyway he needs to be fired asap and Bob Murray as well if he doesn't pull the trigger fast enough.

My top 3 right now is Rinne, Anderson, Halak, but if things keep playing out the way they have Andersen will win the Vezina. He has the wins, the workload and the save%.

It's way too early in the season to make Vezina predictions. Last year around this time Bobrovsky looked like a shoo-in for his third Vezina.
You need to see the expected goals against to understand why Gibson has been otherworldly. His save percentage might not be the best in the league but the quality of the shots he has faced has been above and beyond and then beyond again what any other goalie in the league has faced.

This is the problem with the vezina. People just look up the stats on some random site and fill out their ballot without looking into context or the quality of shots faced.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Goalie Stats - Corsica Hockey

Gibson has more goals saved that were expected to go in than second place rinne who has played almost half of the games. That is insane, and that is why he has clearly been the best in net this season.

If Anaheim were any good and people actually paid attention this wouldnt even be a discussion, but as it is I expect a 5th place finish because of winz.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

paragon

May 5, 2010
You need to see the expected goals against to understand why Gibson has been otherworldly. His save percentage might not be the best in the league but the quality of the shots he has faced has been above and beyond and then beyond again what any other goalie in the league has faced.

This is the problem with the vezina. People just look up the stats on some random site and fill out their ballot without looking into context or the quality of shots faced.
I'm not arguing Gibson is not great or anything. I'm simply arguing who is going to win Vezina. They basically award the trophy on stats. If advanced stats really mattered that much Bobrovsky or Gibson might have made top 3 nominees last season.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not being a homer...It's got to be Andersen at this point. He is playing the best hockey of his career.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'm not arguing Gibson is not great or anything. I'm simply arguing who is going to win Vezina. They basically award the trophy on stats. If advanced stats really mattered that much Bobrovsky or Gibson might have made top 3 nominees last season.
I can agree with that

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It doesn't have to be him since he hasn't been the best goalie. At least you weren't a homer about it though.

Andersen:

GPGSTOI/GWLOTLGAGAASASVSV%SOSOSV%
2018-19 Regular Season1659.231150332.08501468.9341.000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Gibson:

GPGSTOI/GWLOTLGAGAASASVSV%SOSOSV%
2018-19 Regular Season1758:07674422.55585543.9281.636
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Just sayin'...

Reactions: Kelly

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Uhhh did you mean to post this last year? He was great this October and i dont recall any significant amount of leafs fans complaining about him..

Andersen is the clear frontrunner based on how voters usually operate. Rinne 2nd and Gibson 3rd mainly because it's rare that the good goalie on a bad team (Gibson) gets the votes they should theoretically

no, go back to october gdt and pgt and you will see that people still havent learned from last year

weird how I know this and you don't

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think the Vezina goes to Rinne this year. Still lots of games to be played, but nobody deserves it more than him.

2nd place at this point of the season has to be Andersen. Yes you can make a good argument for Gibson, but I don't think the wins will be there come April to separate him from the top Goalies going into the playoffs. Same goes for Raanta.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Gibson lol

But Rinne or Andersson and possibly Luongo (maybe he pushes them to playoffs)

Edit it's a long season, Gibson can still get back on top

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
2017, 2018

its like you have short term memory lost.. just check the andersen threads a month ago. Pretty embarrassing
Andersen had a fine October, not sure what you're talking about. There will always be a select few idiots, but the majority of Andersen's October struggles came in the past two years.

Don't remember any of that being said this year, you're probably getting confused with last year's struggles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad