Early top 10 US born skaters

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
1. Pat Kane W His incredible scoring gift, shifty skating, and phenomenal puck handling will secure a top 3 pick if not 1st overall. Kane has even surprised me this year as I thought I'd be talking about him being a top 20 pick instead of a potential 1st overall pick. Kane's smart with the puck and has a pinpoint accurate shot.
2. James vanRiemsdyk W Smart, incredible shot, and great instincts -- JVR will be a great top 10 pick for any team looking for top line wing prospect. The NJ prospect has been stellar at every level he's played so far and the tournaments he's participated in.
3. Jonathon Blum D Rising up my rankings a bit with strong play all year long. Looks to be a solid pick anywhere in the top 15. One thing that stands out is that he NEEDS to add weight. He's a stick on the ice!
4. Bill Sweatt W One of my favorites all year long, and he really shot up many rankings with solid WJC play -- pretty safe pick, IMO. Might be the best skating player in this top 10 list. Great all around player would be a great fit on a NHL second line and first PK unit.
5. Nick Petrecki D Dropping slightly but not because of bad play, simply since other guys are getting better. Will be a top 25 pick, no doubt. He's mean, he's nasty, his hits are monstrous, but he needs to pick his spots better and tone his "snaps" down a bit. If he could find his offense, he could be a poor man's Scott Stevens. He certainly has a good shot, to say the least about his offense.
6. Kevin Shattenkirk D Good all around defenseman will be a great 1st round pick. Can do a bit of everything and do it all well. Nothing really stands out about him and he's the kind of guy you don't notice when he's playing well.
7. Tommy Cross D Nearly the same type of player as Shattenkirk -- just a bit meaner in front of the net. Likes to get his nose dirty. Again, does nothing great but everything well. A guy every team needs.
8. James O'Brien C I thought he'd be better this year, but his play has underwhelmed me. Don't know how much NHL upside I see in him, but his defensive skills this year might translate into a 3rd line role if he can't develop more.
9. Ryan McDonagh D Reminds me a bit of Fedor Tyutin on the Rangers -- offensive instincts but has yet to find them. Can get nasty when he wants to, but usually plays a smart game. Has a great 1st pass.
10. Teddy Ruth D As McKeens says, this guy has some major lower body strength. He's a real wildcard right now, because he can go anywhere from the tail end of the 1st round to the 3rd, IMO. Needs to figure out his game and what HE thinks he can do well.

I'll give much better write-ups later in the year after most of the seasons are over. This is just an early ranking of mine that I figured I'd pass along.

I haven't seen much HS hockey this year so I've had limited viewings of guys like McDonagh and Cross, though what I've seen has been very good so far.

Speaking of HS hockey, I've seen Michael Biega a few times this year so far and, even though he can't be ranked on this list, he's looked outstanding. A real sleeper in this draft after somehow falling off the radar for most people.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Could have more info on Tommy Cross? Could he be this year david fischer?

While I think that Fischer is a better prospect, I think that you could say that about Cross. IE the guy who comes out of nowhere. He wasn't really on my top 15 list prior to the start of the year, but steady play all year long and praise from people who've seen him more than I have raise his status in my eyes.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nice work as usual. Where would you rate Colin Wilson if he were elligible with this group and what are your opinions of his potential. Thanks.

I think he's a better overall prospect than McDonagh or Ruth, but I wouldn't put him in this list yet simply because he's too raw right now and he's still a year away from his draft. That full year might totally change the outlook on him for the future.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
On the topic of biega as he commit to any school? And could he found is way in the late 1rd. His ranking at mid term was awful but the kid got some serious skill

Pretty sure he's going to Harvard with his brother.

I don't think he makes the first round solely because he's hardly been hyped at all this year, but I think he ends up going in the top 60.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Thanks Jon / i wouldnt be surprise if the habs selected a american defensemen they had a lot of success with american Def in the past and they need def in their system (cross,shattenkirk,mcdonough are possibility

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
. . .
5. Nick Petrecki D Dropping slightly but not because of bad play, simply since other guys are getting better. Will be a top 25 pick, no doubt. He's mean, he's nasty, his hits are monstrous, but he needs to pick his spots better and tone his "snaps" down a bit. If he could find his offense, he could be a poor man's Scott Stevens. He certainly has a good shot, to say the least about his offense.
. . .
Is it just me, or is his offence starting to come. It just seems that each time I've checked the boxscore lately (not a ton of times, to be sure) he's picked up a point or two.

Bam Beet*

I want the Avs to get Sweatt with one of their second rounders. Do you think he'll be available then?

Roger's Pancreas*

I like it Jon. Petrecki seems like he could be a more mobile version of Derian Hatcher at the same age.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I like it Jon. Petrecki seems like he could be a more mobile version of Derian Hatcher at the same age.

If the Flyers get a 2nd 1st round pick I could easily see them taking Petrecki. He seems to fit the type of player that the team and fans would covet: Nasty, hard hitting, HUGE temper, etc etc. Personally, I think he'd be a great fit.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Thanks Jon / i wouldnt be surprise if the habs selected a american defensemen they had a lot of success with american Def in the past and they need def in their system (cross,shattenkirk,mcdonough are possibility

This draft has some really great defensemen depth as well, IMO. Great d-men all over the 1st round.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
What's the difference between Ellerby and Petrecki?

Ellerby doesn't explode like Petrecki does. Petrecki is a ticking time bomb on most nights while Ellerby is a bit more collected. Both are pretty hard hitting and I guess it depends on who you'd want more. I like Ellerby a bit more than Petrecki in overall talent, but having a guy like Petrecki on your defense would flat out scare people.

Roger's Pancreas*

Ellerby doesn't explode like Petrecki does. Petrecki is a ticking time bomb on most nights while Ellerby is a bit more collected. Both are pretty hard hitting and I guess it depends on who you'd want more. I like Ellerby a bit more than Petrecki in overall talent, but having a guy like Petrecki on your defense would flat out scare people.
Alright, I wasn't sure if it was skating ability or offensive potential or what. Thanks.

Bam Beet*

The more things I hear about Petrecki the more I want the Avs to draft him! :D

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Alright, I wasn't sure if it was skating ability or offensive potential or what. Thanks.

I actually think they're both pretty good skaters for their size, but I give a definite edge to Petrecki in skating. His skating is AMAZING for a big man. He can really haul ass up and down the ice and if he ever pinches and misses he can get back into the play.

While I think that Ellerby has more control over his game, it's almost a toss-up for me on who to pick. Depends on who a GM likes better, I guess.

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Michael Biega will be going to Harvard next year. I have seen him multiple times. Has tremendous talent but so inconsistent. Just seems to turn it on when he wants and invincible all other shifts. Really frustrating for someone who was a potential second round player.

In regards to Cross - a real effortless skater and strong upside. Hope that his team makes the playoffs so I can get a better evaluation of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad