Early season rants

tape to tape

Nov 26, 2011
My rant is against Leaf Nation for not being one united monolithic force to be reckoned with under Phil Kessel, Dion Phaneuf and Tyler Bozak and company ... TOO MANY DISSENTERS ...

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lupul Injury affects team scoring + directly relates to Kessels slump
Kostka is given first pairing minutes when he doesn't deserve them
Phaneuf has been horrible
the special teams have been awful
Not capitalizing on scoring chances
No first line center
Gardiner injury

There's a million things wrong with this team now and were all frustrated, but shouldn't we discuss more reasonable methods of fixing this rather than ranting?

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
We dress 3 AHL dmen and expect to win?

Our "best" player doesn't score (EVER) and we expect to win?

Our "best" defenseman doesn't score, and can't defend, and we expect to win?

Our first line centre is an undrafted college free agent with a career high of 47 points and we expect to win?

Our PP is one of the worst in the league and we expect to win?

pretty much

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Nonis should rebuild the whole team around reimer, gardiner, oreilly, JVR, lupul, frattin and kadri.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think I agree with all of your points OP. I have even uttered a few myself, especially about the Leafs being 'slump busters'. Good lord. I know it's gonna be a good night for my fantasy squad when they roll into the ACC to light us up.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
The only problem I have is with the ridiculous fans that think the Leafs are the Boston Bruins or Pittsburgh Penguins. The level of criticism thrown at this team after losses is out of control. The unreasonable expectations after wins are even worse.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
The only problem I have is with the ridiculous fans that think the Leafs are the Boston Bruins or Pittsburgh Penguins. The level of criticism thrown at this team after losses is out of control. The unreasonable expectations after wins are even worse.

I agree it's so annoying to see some of the rediculous expectations set after the leafs beat the capitals, or sabres.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree it's so annoying to see some of the rediculous expectations set after the leafs beat the capitals, or sabres.

I don't believe its that specific that you can narrow it down to just a couple of games.

I think some fans simply set too high expectations going in and then are simply disappointed when their own expectations are not met.

This team is entering a season where it fired both its coach and GM as a result of the performance on the ice. A team that finishes in the bottom 5 overall in 2 of the past 3 seasons is evidence that player personnel and talent level is an issue.

This is a process that will require time and patience to correct now, and realistic expectations should be based on what is at hand to work with, not fluctuate wildly on a nightly basis with each win or loss. IMO

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
bang on .....whats with kessel beating a dman then cutting back to the middle ?he should watch frattin go to the net .....

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
My Rant.

We got screwed tonight by officiating. We are now 1 below 500. Therefore everyone says TANK! Carlyle really needs to fix the issues we have and Kostka isn't the answer but we are still tied for 8th and 5pts out of 1st and people are already saying tank. This shortened ridiculous season anything can happen.

I might change my input when there are 20 games left, Not 9 games in!

You know what your issue is?

You don't have a friggen clue what 500 means in the new NHL.

Heres a FYI, last year 1 game under 500 got you the 3rd overall pick .

The year before that, the 6th overall.

The year before that, 4th overall.

The year before that 5th overall.

Are you seeing a trend here?

All 500 means anymore in the new NHL is that your a bad team.

Anything under 500 even half a game under, means your a VERY bad team in the new NHL.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I have watched these bums for 35+ years and never have I been soo frustrated watching TML get worse with each passing game. I honestly thought Carlyle would bring a great system here and from what I seen is the wingers standing still and losing puck battles along the boards and the defense weaker than a fat diabetic kid in a Boston marathon. Phaneuf is all over the map and looks lost, Kostka looks like he scrambling to correct Phannys mistakes. Liles coughs up the puck at least 5 times a period and Franson with his size hits people like a wet noodle. Holzer is clearly not ready after seeing him play against the big boys, Frazier looks to be ok but getting frustarted out there. I dont get the style Carlyle is implemeting here with the crappy shoot the puck around the net and then shoot it back around the net. The wingers stand there and lose the puck along the boards on a consistant basis, and TML can not get the !@*$#! puck out of there own zone. Bozak is NOT A #1C and should not be playing on the 1st, but thats what TML is stuck with. The PP is horrible they again stand there and let the defense pick their passes and dont scramble like they should be if there was movement. If it wasnt for Reimer the Leafs would be 0-9. I'm tired watching this team not only get worse but sit back and tell us patience, like there is a secret weapon we dont know about. Mtl was in complete disarray last year and it looked like the mighty French empire had become a 3rd world hockey team, and now like as if nothing happened they are a top team again. I'm just done with the crap TMLSE keeps telling us!!!!!!!!!! Something needs to happen and it starts with heads rolling!!!!!!!!.................end rant:rant:

UMMM, heads have rolled.

Burke , Wilson, Alliare, most of the assistant coaches gone.

Lombar,Conn,Gust,Schenn,Crabb, thats 25% of your starters last year gone.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I understand the hate the players are getting but Carlyle is a great coach and his system is making this team look like a real team, but they need better defencemen.

Tonight Fraser, kostka and holzer over gardiner and komisarek was a terrible decision. I understand they think gardiner isn't fully back up to speed but come on when he was up with the club he was better then all 3 of those scrubs. Kostka is decent but should realistically be a 3rd pairing or extra guy

They warned us, they said we might not have the horses to play RCs system, lets give DN some time work on that.

And you don't DARE rush Gards back, for any reason.

ForSpareParts*

If Kessel could have buried his chances this would be a different season.

He's now stopped trying. Not even getting assists.

ForSpareParts*

bang on .....whats with kessel beating a dman then cutting back to the middle ?he should watch frattin go to the net .....

I say put Frattin on the top line. We couldn't be any worse than zero goals.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

If Kessel had the backbone and played a lot more like Frattin does then the Leafs would have a much better player on their hands.

Kessel could learn a lot from Frattin if he just watched him go fearlessly to the net and play in traffic to score goals.

guitarist37

Dec 8, 2010
Out of 23 Roster Spots:

19 are pissing me off
Kadri Reimer and Fratting are pleasing me.
J McClement is satisfactory.

Son of bodacious

Apr 17, 2006
If Kessel had the backbone and played a lot more like Frattin does then the Leafs would have a much better player on their hands.

Kessel could learn a lot from Frattin if he just watched him go fearlessly to the net and play in traffic to score goals.

That's not his game - not in his mental make-up. He avoids contact, not seek it out. I'm not sure why everyone expects this to magically change, short of holding his family hostage I don't think it will.

For him to become a Frattin type player, he would have to have confidence in his physicality - for that to happen, he has to commit to improving his conditioning and strength. Until you see that commitment take place, you will see the same player. Mind you that player is very useful and will be paid lucratively, which is also why he is not motivated to change.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
he's not built like Frattin and trying to go to the net will just result in him on his ass. he doesn't have the strength to push the defender off

he gets 'em in bunches and had long droughts. this is not new.

but he is not going to change what has made him successful so people may as well stop asking or expecting him to

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Miller is one of the best goalies in the world and you think he only becomes God like playing the Leafs?

MajorityRules*

he's not built like Frattin and trying to go to the net will just result in him on his ass. he doesn't have the strength to push the defender off

he gets 'em in bunches and had long droughts. this is not new.

but he is not going to change what has made him successful so people may as well stop asking or expecting him to

You should really stop introducing logic and common sense into these discussions.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
I just want a sexy trade, just something to happen. I would love it if from here on in, Kadri and Kessel get hat tricks each game but we lose every game 7-6, exciting hockey, fun, at least our young guys are doing good and we get a great draft pick.

ULTIMATE TANK INITiATE!

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Liles needs to be on the first PP unit.

He's the smartest offensive Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->