Early Norris trophy candidates?

Taishici

Oct 19, 2017
Pfft. EK got a Norrris robbed from him by Drew, so go away with your “east coast bias”-charade

No way did Karlsson deserve the 2016 Norris. Doughty was way better and rightly deserved the award.

Now if you said Karlsson should have won in 2017, then I could agree with you.

It amazes that me that Karlsson fans complain about 2016, but not 2017.

As far as this year goes, if you want to see what Norris level play looks like, then watch the recent 3 games of Hedman against Carolina. And any of the recent games of Doughty.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
I'm biased, but I genuinely believe that Damon Severson deserves some consideration at this point. Playing absolutely stellar hockey in all three zones this year, and his advanced stats are terrific. He's really found another level this season.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
No way did Karlsson deserve the 2016 Norris. Doughty was way better and rightly deserved the award.

Now if you said Karlsson should have won in 2017, then I could agree with you.

It amazes that me that Karlsson fans complain about 2016, but not 2017.

As far as this year goes, if you want to see what Norris level play looks like, then watch the recent 3 games of Hedman against Carolina. And any of the recent games of Doughty.
Not tonight for Doughty, Kaprisov has made Drew look like a fool

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
But he does have the easiest role compared to guys like Severson, Hedman, and McAvoy. Hell, Ty Smith has a harder role if you go by that same breakdown in that picture.

Does anyone have the actual stats used to calculate role difficulty? I'm curious what they used to determine it.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I'm biased, but I genuinely believe that Damon Severson deserves some consideration at this point. Playing absolutely stellar hockey in all three zones this year, and his advanced stats are terrific. He's really found another level this season.
Agree and have always liked Severson.

Still, if you are looking for an RD who is as good as it gets in advanced stats

On top of that Pesce is playing at a 45 point pace with almost no PP time. He actually has more even strength points than Makar and McAvoy—the same number as Hedman.

I haven't read every post, but it does appear that the thread is in excess of 200 and this is the first Pesce has been brought up.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Agree and have always liked Severson.

Still, if you are looking for an RD who is as good as it gets in advanced stats

On top of that Pesce is playing at a 45 point pace with almost no PP time. He actually has more even strength points than Makar and McAvoy—the same number as Hedman.

I haven't read every post, but it does appear that the thread is in excess of 200 and this is the first Pesce has been brought up.

defensive defenseman seldom get the respect they deserve these days.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Unless Adam Fox gets serious consideration, they are doing it wrong.............................yes, they've been doing it wrong for years.

Reactions: mrmovies779

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Its too bad that they dont take into account the little things that defensemen do to keep the puck out of their net. Voting seems to be based on point production which is not always a tell all as to who the best d man is. Look at ek winning it twice. Dudes a mess in his own zone. It's the eastern bias media kicking in on this one.
Ek should've won it more, analytics showed that he actually had a big positive impact on his team defensively and the whole he's a defensive liability narrative was a complete myth.

Reactions: Chimpradamus

Taishici

Oct 19, 2017
Analytics can be used as part of analyzing a player. But Hockey is a sport where the eye test is hugely important. The way NHL scouts analyze players is a combination of analytics and the eye test. Or I should say scouts use analytics to confirm what they are seeing in a player. Only fans and some media rely solely on analytics, it happens here on these boards all the time. Hockey analytics have such a far ways to go to be really valuable in judging players.

Karlsson has two Norris trophies and I think that's about right. But I would say instead of 2015, he should have won in 2017.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
McAvoy may be separating himself. Given how dominant he has been and the d-corps he is leading, he is even more deserving than hedman at this point.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ek should've won it more, analytics showed that he actually had a big positive impact on his team defensively and the whole he's a defensive liability narrative was a complete myth.

They showed he had a positive corsi impact. He generally had a slightly negative impact in terms of high danger chances, expected goals against and actual goals against. His impact offensively made up for it, but he was never consistently good defensively.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Plays about 2/3 of his ice time away from the top line too and while his numbers fall a bit (as everyone's would), it's not by much. 54.9% CF, 59.6% SF, 55.9% xGF without Bergeron and Marchand on the ice.

And there is no Chara narrative anymore, he has been playing with a rotation of three rookies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->