Early Norris trophy candidates?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I agree with you, but he will more than likely be top 3 in D scoring and get a nomination.

In all fairness to him, he has been much better defensively since we have got out pairings sorted.
Plenty of times top scoring D who are truly bad defensively don't get nominated. It's happened to Yandle, Vishnovsky, and plenty of others.

Hughes' bad year has gotten plenty of press despite his point totals. He's not going to win the green jacket *and* get a Norris nom.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Nobody hates Nurse, he just isn't good enough to be in this conversation yet.

Of the categories I examined above, he was above those 5 players in 1 category - GF/60. I wonder if that has something to do with being on the ice with 2 generational players? He was easily the worst in most of the "against" stats, such as expected goals against and corsi against.

I'll say it again, the pendulum swings massively on HFOil.

In the first 9 games, they were ready to shoot him into the moon. The same complaint as always, "all the tools, no toolbox". I won't even get into how HFOil has railed on the guy for his entire career there.

He's had a great 12 games, buoyed by playing with McDrai, but this is the norm.

He's looked better than he ever has, but let's pump the brakes on Norris talk.

As to the question......Makar and Hedman are the front runners for sure.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I guess to answer OP, the Norris favorite at the moment is Makar.

If the question was who's the best defenseman in the game at this very moment (so not looking at age, contract, etc.), then I take Hedman 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Plenty of times top scoring D who are truly bad defensively don't get nominated. It's happened to Yandle, Vishnovsky, and plenty of others.

Hughes' bad year has gotten plenty of press despite his point totals. He's not going to win the green jacket *and* get a Norris nom.

Yes, let's name off a bunch of .5 PPG D as comparisons. Well done.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I think the early bad press and shortened season would probably be too much to overcome, but he's righted the ship again defensively. I doubt he comes close to the green jacket.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I think you can throw all of McAvoy, Nurse, Petry, Rielly, and Makar in the "deserving of a look" pile but none of them have the same clout that Hedman does and he'll get the votes based on name and history, fairly or unfairly.
Are you talking about Mike Rielly? Because Morgan Rielly is nowhere near the conversation this year. I also don't think Petry is, a hot start doesn't make a Norris Dman.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
My guess is one of

Hedman, Makar, McAvoy, or Theadore will win it.

It’s still early though and a lot can change.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Hedman and Makar seem to be clearly ahead of the pack, I think Doughty is getting overrated but he is likely 3rd atm. I like Nurse in the top 5 atleast

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Interesting that Doughty is the only one that needs to keep it up.
Doughty plays against some of the worst offensive teams in the NHL on a regular basis. If we want to talk about how the North plays 0 defence and the offensive players should get an asterisk then let’s talk about a division where you could combine 4 teams top 6 forwards and probably not even come out with 1 that make another teams top line

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Where would people rate Chychrun?
I haven't followed his play closely, but have him on my fantasy roster and he's been spectacular for points this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad