Early Norris trophy candidates?

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Hedman, Doughty and Makar as my top three.

Petry, Nurse and McAvoy could be dark horses though...

Honourable mentions to Ekblad and Chychrun

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Honestly, it's Makar right now and it's not really even all that close:

upload_2021-2-23_17-40-35.png

Hedman makes up some ground offensively:

upload_2021-2-23_17-44-36.png

McAvoy is a secondary assist machine apparently.

My Rankings would look like this:

1. Makar

2. Hedman
3. Hamilton
4. McAvoy

5. Doughty
6. Some others like Pionk, Petry...would need to check the #s.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Merchant

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
Yep, I never thought I'd say this, but Darnell Nurse absolutely should be in the conversation right now. I wouldn't have him winning, but it's not a stretch to say he's been top 5 so far.
and some how people will find a way to hate him no matter how good nurse plays

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
and some how people will find a way to hate him no matter how good nurse plays

Nobody hates Nurse, he just isn't good enough to be in this conversation yet.

Of the categories I examined above, he was above those 5 players in 1 category - GF/60. I wonder if that has something to do with being on the ice with 2 generational players? He was easily the worst in most of the "against" stats, such as expected goals against and corsi against.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It is Hedman’s to lose.

I have Nurse on my fantasy team, so I appreciate the season he is having, but the offensive hardware will go to the North and the defensive hardware won’t.

Aaron Ekblad is having a very good season so far. He deserves a mention in this thread.

Doughty will get plenty of votes if the Kings make the playoffs.

Makar will get votes this year and be a serious contender next year.

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I know it's going t bother a lot of people, but Quinn Hughes will be a finalist at a minimum.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think you can throw all of McAvoy, Nurse, Petry, Rielly, and Makar in the "deserving of a look" pile but none of them have the same clout that Hedman does and he'll get the votes based on name and history, fairly or unfairly.

Agreed Hedman,
I heard someone say Makar’s minutes are sheltered and favourable ozone starts., haven’t checked if true.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Agreed Hedman,
I heard someone say Makar’s minutes are sheltered and favourable ozone starts., haven’t checked if true.

I dont know his qual comp numbers and I don't know of a site that tracks them. He's at about 60% o-zone start which isn't anything crazy and he kills some penalties so he's earning his praise.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Agreed Hedman,

Stat can be overrated sometimes in my opinion. Most D of this calibre you want getting lots of chances in the ozone and many sit around 45-55%. Only the heavy heavy defensive usage guys get crazy numbers.
It might be difficult to overcome his horrid start and the subsequent narrative that followed (that he's never been able to play defense and should become a forward, lol). He's turned around his defensive play quite a bit since the start of the year (which shouldn't be that hard, given how awfully low that bar was set) and could right the ship enough for his offense to take precedent. He's looking a lot more like he did last season.

Now, I'm not saying he should be nominated; just that offense plays a way bigger part than it should in Norris voting and there aren't many players in the NHL on his level in that regard.

I don’t think you need all this explaination - the kid is scoring at a ridiculous pace and deserves to be mentioned. Or his fault his partners are some of the worst dmen in the division.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'd feel a little weird as a Canucks fan of that happened. He doesn't deserve a Norris.

That's not to say he deservedly win one in the future though. I believe in his two way play. Just not this season.
It might be difficult to overcome his horrid start and the subsequent narrative that followed (that he's never been able to play defense and should become a forward, lol). He's turned around his defensive play quite a bit since the start of the year (which shouldn't be that hard, given how awfully low that bar was set) and could right the ship enough for his offense to take precedent. He's looking a lot more like he did last season.

Now, I'm not saying he should be nominated; just that offense plays a way bigger part than it should in Norris voting and there aren't many players in the NHL on his level in that regard.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I could see Makar winning if he stays healthy. He's getting a lot of media attention this season and will continue to get it, and the points will keep flowing in no matter what provided he stays healthy like I mentioned. Perks of playing on an incredible offensive team. Hedman will get nominated for sure as well. Then probably some North division player cause that's who the voters will be watching

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd feel a little weird as a Canucks fan of that happened. He doesn't deserve a Norris.

That's not to say he deservedly win one in the future though. I believe in his two way play. Just not this season.

I agree with you, but he will more than likely be top 3 in D scoring and get a nomination.

In all fairness to him, he has been much better defensively since we have got out pairings sorted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad