Early look at 2020 QMJHL draft so far

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
@Rink Eyes I hope they realize that. Hard for the kids, I'm sure, to not get caught up in the draft and the order of their selection etc.... If they only knew that in all reality is it really doesn't matter. Look at players who go on to be successful in pro hockey - there isn't necessarily any connection to being drafted or being a high draft pick as a 16YO. At this age, kids are at such different stages of their growth and their development cycles that they are all over the map. Kids have also received such varying degrees of training, coaching, skills and skating development etc. at this age. For that reason the draft is a bit of a crap shoot, and not as significant as people make it out to be. If they keep working hard and commit to proper development they will end up having success whether in hockey or even otherwise as those habits of working hard and committing to something 100% will carry them far.

Reactions: Rink Eyes

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
I would say Carruthers, Arsenault, Maclean, Savoie are ahead of their peers in physical strength and have been for the past 2-3 years. It will be interesting to see if their foot speed is quick enough when their size is no longer an advantage. That's when foot speed and hockey sense kick in and why a lot of draft picks struggle in the Q. That's something I had always focused on as a scout.
I also look at who they are playing with. If they play on the best team with top players their numbers may be inflated. Considering all this, the Gatorade should be a final opportunity to figure it all out.

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
@wayupnorth I don’t have enough access to the Quebec league, so that would be unfair to everyone. I have seen all Atlantic kids and most in the US and other parts of Canada. ACC is the only time the birth year plays against each other, province vs province in Atlantic. Ranking is tough based on some are stat watches, some look for skills to transfer to next level and some just repeat what they read elsewhere. Some play is stronger leagues some in weak leagues. It will come down to the team. You have guys “ranked” in third round and go in the first last year. Some ranked in 8th, go in 3rd. Our lists are just lists.

from what I’ve seen on my travels, remember non Que.

Forwards:
LaStarza (que in US)- good size, skates well, good hands. I would like to see in U18 vs 16u to help comparison.
Carruthers- has always been a big kid, skating has come a long way, heavy shot, likes to leave the D zone early.
Savoie- has grown, it’s helped him, great hands and vision, ok skater but makes it work.
Woodworth- I see him like a Brady Burns, skates ok, but can make plays and score for days.
Rozzi (Que in US)- good size, lanky, can score as good as anyone.
Guy (west)- great dynamic skater, great speed, sees passes others don’t, I see as a F similar to Drew Elliot but looks like he’s playing F and D?
Andrews- speed for days, needs to grow game beyond dump and chase.
MacLean- good size, skating is ok, sees the pass, good shot, good on the boards and I like his mean streak.
Arsenault- good size, shoot first, needs to see the ice better and get back quicker. Too much time looking for a turnover.
Canning - Good size, like to shoot, good shot,
Casey- good skater, good size, seems to be around things but not much seems to come from it.
Roy- big kid, ok skater, can use his size more to his advantage. We will see how long it takes to get to the Titan.
Oliver- nice scoring touch, only seems like he wants to score, has good speed but doesn’t use it very often.
Hughes-good size, already over 6 feet, lots of ice time on a weaker team.
Sim- as every knows smaller but it doesn’t hold him back. Gritty, works hard and can score at ease.
Gweon- great speed, he can cover lots of ice quickly, seems to get nocked down lots.

Awesome views and insight and areas for growth. Only one NL kid on your list in Casey? What about others from NL? Any D or goalies? Assume you have seen Casey, Rozzi, lastarza in US this season

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
I’ve only seen the NL kids a couple of games. On the 04 forward side nothing jump off the chart for me. Babcock, Marshall would be in my top 10 D I think. I have not seen Snow in some time with OHA, but he had all the tools to be good if he keeps developing. In no way do I consider my self a great goalie guy. I just prefer they find a way to stop the puck.

haha, if Casey has success, the Gulls will claim his success, haha

for the Que kids and casey yes in the US. That league is sometimes tough to dissect as it depends on who you are playing. Top comp or not. Don’t look at stats it’s no indication.

we now have some groups online posting video of very good players playing the worst team in the leagues. I’m more interested in how you can play against top players not create highlight videos against much lower level players. There is lots of smoke out there that you need to see through.

Reactions: NorthAmHockey

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
I’ve only seen the NL kids a couple of games. On the 04 forward side nothing jump off the chart for me. Babcock, Marshall would be in my top 10 D I think. I have not seen Snow in some time with OHA, but he had all the tools to be good if he keeps developing. In no way do I consider my self a great goalie guy. I just prefer they find a way to stop the puck.

haha, if Casey has success, the Gulls will claim his success, haha

for the Que kids and casey yes in the US. That league is sometimes tough to dissect as it depends on who you are playing. Top comp or not. Don’t look at stats it’s no indication.

we now have some groups online posting video of very good players playing the worst team in the leagues. I’m more interested in how you can play against top players not create highlight videos against much lower level players. There is lots of smoke out there that you need to see through.
Dumais is in USA as well but no mention? Marshall and Babcock in top 10 on D is awesome! Agree on US teams but same as every league there are top teams and bottom teams. In NL lots of blowouts as well when east plays west.

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
@wayupnorth this is simply a hobby, i don’t scout for anyone. I really enjoy the game, I like seeing kids that work hard succeed. I prefer to be in the rink than sitting in a hotel room. I watched lots of hockey, if I can’t get to the rink I will find games to stream

Back check

Feb 12, 2020
A lot of times it depends on qualitative data, such as where the player is likely to play. You see players drop all the time when there's doubt they will play in the O or Q.

I would think that applies to Hinkley. As far as what league is better, take a look at the recent Mem cup winners. That should answer your question.

I think his stock at the Q draft is high. Hinkley has had a great year in arguably the strongest midget league in Canada.
Teams in the Q are doing their due diligence and are there watching his development.
So when people are comparing players from the NB/PEI/NS teams with each other they have to remember kids from other leagues.....some of those players wouldn’t make the top minor midget teams in the GTHL.

Reactions: Rink Eyes

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
@Back check there are lots of people that don’t seem to understand this. There is stiff competition out there in bigger markets, what age group to play in etc. Each family needs to try to figure out what’s best for them. It not easy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I updated first round as of Feb 14 - don't think anything changed since.

1. Gat (Bat)
2. Gat (Hfx)
3. Gat
4. Remparts
5. Shaw
6. SJ (BC)
7. Vic
8. Rouyn (SJ)
9. VD
10. Drumm (Rouyn)
11. SJ (Drumm)
12. Hfx (Charlottetown)
13. Gat (Blainville)
14. Cape Breton
15. Bat (Rim)
16. Hfx (Chi)
17 Drumm (Moncton)
18. Blainville (Sher)

Rounds 2 onwards can be determined by the picks each team has for 2020 as below.

Banques de choix 2020-2021-2022

Baie-Comeau : 2-2QC-2CHA-3CHI-3SHA-3MON-5-7-8-9-9RN-10SHA-11-12-13-14
Bathurst : 1RIM-2DRU-2CHI-3DRU-5-6CHI-8CHI-9-11-12-13-13RIM-14
Boisbriand : 1SHE-2-2VDO-3BC-3-3HFX-4BC-5SHE-5RN-6-6DRU-7-8-8RN-9-10-10STJ-11-12-13-14
Cape Breton : 1-2-3STJ-3VIC-5-5SHA-6-6BC-7-7BAT-7GAT-8-9-10-11-12-12RIM-13
Charlottetown : 2HFX-3-3SHE-4-4SHE-5-7-7SHE-8-9-10-11-13-14
Chicoutimi : 5MON-6STJ-7-7HFX-9-10-10BAT-11-12-13-14
Drummondville : 1MON-1RN-2BAT-5STJ-7-7VDO-8-9-10-11-12-13-14
Gatineau : 1-1BAT-1BLB-1HFX-2-4RIM-6RIM-7SHE-8STJ-9-10-10VDO-10BC-10RIM-11-12-13
Halifax : 1CHI-1CHA-2SHE-2STJ-2SHA-2MON-3BAT-4BAT-4-4STJ-4GAT-5-8-9-11-12-13-14
Moncton : 4-6-8-9-10-10HFX-11-12-12CHA-13-14
Québec : 1-3-4-4CB-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-13-14
Rimouski : 3RN-5-7-8GAT-9-11-14-14GAT-14CB
Rouyn-Noranda : 1STJ-2-2VIC-3CB-4-6-7-7MON-10-11-12-13-14
Saint John : 1DRU-1BC-2RIM-3GAT-6CHA-7-9-11-13-14
Shawinigan : 1-4-4CHI-4DRU-5DRU-6-6HFX-6BAT-8-8BAT-8VIC-8RIM-9-10SHE-11-12-13-14
Sherbrooke : 4BLB-5GAT-6-8-9-11-12-12STJ-13-14
Val d'Or : 1-3-3RIM-5-5BLB-5CHI-6-8-9-11-12-13-14
Victoriaville : 1-4-4VDO-5-6-6GAT-7-9-10-11-12-12QC-13-14

Does Halifax have protection on that #2 pick? Read that somewhere before but not sure if true.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
Does Halifax have protection on that #2 pick? Read that somewhere before but not sure if true.

No. The rumour on twitter was that their pick is top 8 protected next year (the one the Sea Dogs own). This has never happened in the Q (as far as I know).

Also, remember that there are two teams with early 1st rounders this year for not signing their 1st round picks last year (6th and 7th picks)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No. The rumour on twitter was that their pick is top 8 protected next year (the one the Sea Dogs own). This has never happened in the Q (as far as I know).

Also, remember that there are two teams with early 1st rounders this year for not signing their 1st round picks last year (6th and 7th picks)

That deal for Safin with the Sea Dogs was contested due to an injury with Safin. League looked into it and altered the deal... 2020 1st was changed to 2021. Halifax later traded that 2020 1st to get Trepanier. This is how Gatineau got that pick. No idea if that top 8 or top 10 protection is in play. I have never heard of it either in the Q.. which is why I asked

Commissioner’s decision — Ostap Safin trade revision – LHJMQ

Mooseheads acquire forward Maxime Trepanier - HalifaxToday.ca

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
Just to create more discussion on lists that are produced by some of our paid service websites. I was recently given access to one site, they produced a list in Feb and they have many kids listed and they have not watched an actual league game? I feel bad for the kids in NB/Pei/NL. One total league game scouted in 2020. One NB team was lucky to be scoured twice as they played a N.S. team.

Hockeyfirst

Oct 19, 2018
Round 1 and 2

18 players from QMAAA QC
10 players from QMAAA Maritimes
3 from Ont minor midget
5 from school program

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->