Early Impressions: Marcus Pettersson

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@Peat
I actually wouldn't mind Lovejoy back. If Shero still likes hoarding defensemen, I would send Oleksiak for Lovejoy probably just straight up. It's about 500k more in salary, but he's also a UFA.

A right handed defenseman, allows us to deploy a pure shutdown role with Pettersson-Lovejoy if need be, he's also solid enough in his own end to lessen the dumb that is JJ, no saving Maatta though, but if Maatta-Lovejoy can be a thing that works, f*** it.

Or if Shero would really entertain us...

Bratt + Lovejoy for Maatta + 2nd with 25% retention on Lovejoy so JR can still have money to play with at the deadline.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
@Peat
I actually wouldn't mind Lovejoy back. If Shero still likes hoarding defensemen, I would send Oleksiak for Lovejoy probably just straight up. It's about 500k more in salary, but he's also a UFA.

A right handed defenseman, allows us to deploy a pure shutdown role with Pettersson-Lovejoy if need be, he's also solid enough in his own end to lessen the dumb that is JJ, no saving Maatta though, but if Maatta-Lovejoy can be a thing that works, **** it.

Or if Shero would really entertain us...

Bratt + Lovejoy for Maatta + 2nd with 25% retention on Lovejoy so JR can still have money to play with at the deadline.

Prior to Petterson, I was half expecting a Lovejoy rental. It still makes disturbing amounts of sense. Disturbing is the stress word in that sentence.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Prior to Petterson, I was half expecting a Lovejoy rental. It still makes disturbing amounts of sense. Disturbing is the stress word in that sentence.
Lol...

I don't think we're lacking in the PMD type of guys, if anything we have a decent amount of the "Daley types" for production on this blueline, what we don't have is smarter defensive defensemen.

We have 2, Pettersson and Dumoulin. After that, Letang picks which days to be rock solid, which days to be a nightmare, and which days to be passable. JJ, who knows what the f*** you get sometimes, Oleksiak is masquerading as a forward playing defense with most of his decisions, then there's Maatta who just gets caught far too often doing the same thing he knows he gets burned on.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Lol...

I don't think we're lacking in the PMD type of guys, if anything we have a decent amount of the "Daley types" for production on this blueline, what we don't have is smarter defensive defensemen.

We have 2, Pettersson and Dumoulin. After that, Letang picks which days to be rock solid, which days to be a nightmare, and which days to be passable. JJ, who knows what the **** you get sometimes, Oleksiak is masquerading as a forward playing defense with most of his decisions, then there's Maatta who just gets caught far too often doing the same thing he knows he gets burned on.

I cannot disagree enough with you about the PMD guys and think that only Letang and maybe Riikola on a good day are fit to be compared to Daley for their ability to move the puck, but I do agree that another smarter defensive dman would be nice. Its just disturbing that we're so far in that position that the third coming of Lovejoy is an actively good idea.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I cannot disagree enough with you about the PMD guys and think that only Letang and maybe Riikola on a good day are fit to be compared to Daley for their ability to move the puck, but I do agree that another smarter defensive dman would be nice. Its just disturbing that we're so far in that position that the third coming of Lovejoy is an actively good idea.

Yeah agree, like, the Pens dont have very good defensive defensemen, but that doesn't exactly mean those guys are PMD by default, because they suck at passing and pinching too.

I'd love a real Daley.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Definitely not PMD in the traditional sense, what I should have said is that they are capable of moving the puck...

Capable and actually doing it currently is where we are falling short.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Definitely not PMD in the traditional sense, what I should have said is that they are capable of moving the puck...

Capable and actually doing it currently is where we are falling short.

I'd love to compare Maatta's and Johnson's passing stats to last season. I'm guessing there'd be a pretty sharp fall.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Lauzon ****ing sucked anyway.

I would not package Riikola in there. He’s a UFA at the end of the year and depending on his usage may gladly walk.

That being said Pettersson being an NHLer at this point is a huge pick up and Addison is looking really good.

How far away is Addison?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Which type of dmen take longer to make the show? D first or O first?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
"Meh", but the good kind of "meh". Not that noticeable, which is a good thing for a defender (ok, outside of the game saving play in Washington). Skates well, passes well, defends well. Nothing extraordinary, nothing that stands out (good or bad) but definitely an NHL regular and... he is 22.

If he can bulk up a little and continue developing, he should be a keeper. Dumo was not even in the show at his age, so...

If he can be reliable 2nd pairing stay-at-home type of guy, I'll be thrilled.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
MP doesn't have to be amazing. Just steady, and anchor a bottom pairing. Those guys are important to have on a team where several guys are hurt/playing terrible (Olek and Maatta)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Still waaaay too early to tell. I need a good 30+ games to be able to see trends.

So far he has a couple games where i'm very happy as he's playing great defense, blocking shots, etc. There are a few stinkers in there but he is getting used to partners/system/etc. The only consistent thing I can see so far is he does struggle just a tad getting shots through, but probably 70% of defenders in the league have that issue.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I would love to see him and JJ take over that bottom pairing and Schultz get a better fit as his partner. Then that D is back to being very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad