Early Impressions: Marcus Pettersson

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I also like that he's had a little wobble and pulled through already. Nobody ever maintains their best form; the question is what happens when the slump happens. So far he's navigated that well.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Looked "fine" to start, got a bit better, got a good bit worse, and just as I started to worry now looks very good again. Ups and Downs for a young player in a shitty system to be expected. I hope he can be a #4 but time will tell. I'll be more comfortable saying something close to definitive midway through next season but I feel that a 5/6 is still more than reasonable and fingers crossed for complementary top 4.

Deczola73

Dec 23, 2017
Peps - Pettersson is borderline garbage. The #1 thing s defensemen needs is being calm with the puck in a pressure situation. When the pressure is on he is terrible.

When everyone is healthy.

Letang and Dumo
Oli and Shultz
JJ and Gud

Letang is world elite
Dumo is rock solid - one of the best players in the D zone in the league
Oli is rock solid on the D end - don't understand the hate he gets on this board
Schultz is a excellent puck moving D man who has improved in the D Zone vastly over the past years
JJ is playing the best hockey of his season right now
Gud had a very mediocre first game - seems to get flat footed but I will wait and see

I prefer Chad and the Finn over Pettersson at this point

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Peps - Pettersson is borderline garbage. The #1 thing s defensemen needs is being calm with the puck in a pressure situation. When the pressure is on he is terrible.

When everyone is healthy.

Letang and Dumo
Oli and Shultz
JJ and Gud

Letang is world elite
Dumo is rock solid - one of the best players in the D zone in the league
Oli is rock solid on the D end - don't understand the hate he gets on this board
Schultz is a excellent puck moving D man who has improved in the D Zone vastly over the past years
JJ is playing the best hockey of his season right now
Gud had a very mediocre first game - seems to get flat footed but I will wait and see

I prefer Chad and the Finn over Pettersson at this point

Woah are you serious?

Pettersson has arguably been our best defenseman the past few games outside of that Eichel give away.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
He didn't have a good game last night but I've been pleasantly surprised with his overall play. He's still young and developing. I've liked what I have seen from him.

Reactions: Andy99

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
This guy is a gem, aside from a game here n there....he's been easily our 3rd best D-man after Letang & Dumo. Now i don't know if that means we have a shit defense or this guy is just that legit. I like to think its the latter. :rolleyes:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This guy is a gem, aside from a game here n there....he's been easily our 3rd best D-man after Letang & Dumo. Now i don't know if that means we have a **** defense or this guy is just that legit. I like to think its the latter. :rolleyes:

I think Pettersson-Gudbranson would be a great bottom pair if you'd bring in a strong 2nd pair LD to play with Schultz. I have no clue why anyone is complaining about Pettersson. He had a stinker last night, but he has been far more good than bad this year. He has performed like a legit 2nd pair guy this year.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Tough game last night but I like him. Has some Mark Eaton to his game.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
People seem to rush to pile on whatever his last game was (good or bad). On the whole he has been very good for the Pens. In my opinion his offensive game/potential is greatly exaggerated around here. His production seems a little inflated vs the eye test (terrible shot, low rate of goals and primary assists). He's not a total slug with the puck on his stick, but I wouldn't expect anything better than Dumoulin-level production on offense.

Reactions: td_ice

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Peps? I've never seen any of our dmen referred to as that. Am I accidentally under a rock here?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Looks alright to me. Rangy, good stick, gritty/gutsy, fairly impressive on the offensive side of the puck too. He’s not Lidstrom with the puck but I’d say he’s possibly a touch better than Dumo was as a rookie or around the same age.

My biggest concern is his bodyweight. He’s reeaaally lean- forget D-men, even by goalie standards- but I don’t think he’ll be able to consistently win battles and absorb hits at 180 over the long haul, but if he adds weight is he gonna slow down or lose some cardiovascular ability? Some guys look better when they add muscle and get stronger but some don’t.

He’s obviously got one of those bodytypes where he’s always going to be underweight by NHL skater standards but I think 195 is a reasonable goal for him.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Pettersson has been having a tough week, though.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
to be fair he is a rookie still, so he's gona have those weeks.

I didn't say put him on waivers.

But he is struggling a bit recently. At a time when the Pens need him to be reallllly solid. It'll be okay eventually.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
didn't like his pinching in with 10 mins left in the game that led to a 2 on 1.

needs to be smarter there. Up 3 goals with 10 to play, just drop back and prevent any odd man rushes

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I didn't say put him on waivers.

But he is struggling a bit recently. At a time when the Pens need him to be reallllly solid. It'll be okay eventually.

I know, not saying you did. I just think like Dumos first playoff run, he is not going to be able to be relied upon heavily. This year will be his first (hopefully) taste.

Reactions: EightyOne

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sprong has 1 point in his last 10 games. 17 in 48 and a -16.

I get that this board and forum in general has always overrated prospects heavily but this is a deal that is almost surely going to be strongly in our favor at the end of the road.

He’ll be an easy example of a player lacking hockey IQ going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad